Zelocita Weather

Best Snowstorm  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favorite snowstorm?

• Boxing Day Dec 2010
    • January 1996 Blizzard
    • January 2016 Blizzard
    • Other

Jan. 2016 had 14 hours of heavy snow and higher amounts then 1996 at every single NYC location.

JFK: 30.5"

LGA: 27.9"

NYC: 26.8"

EWR: 28.1"

Jan. 2016 blows 1996 away in the metro area.

LGA and JFK had an astounding amount of 2"+ per hour rates and a couple 3" an hour rates. Unheard of.

Isn't this about the best storm you've ever experienced personally? I'm really not concerned about what happened locally over NYC. 96' was better as a whole for the area but I realize that locally 16' might have had more snow.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SNWX makes a good point as well. If you live up in Dutchess County are you thinking to yourself, "well it's okay that I got the shaft as long as LGA had 30."

In the end, all anyone really cares about is how much snow falls where they live. And if you happen to live in NYC, then good for you, but that doesn't mean that it's the standard for all snow events over the entire area, which is over 1000 square miles.

SNWX makes a good point as well. If you live up in Dutchess County are you thinking to yourself, "well it's okay that I got the shaft as long as LGA had 30."

In the end, all anyone really cares about is how much snow falls where they live. And if you happen to live in NYC, then good for you, but that doesn't mean that it's the standard for all snow events over the entire area, which is over 1000 square miles.

There is a reason why 93 is and will always be #1.. And as far as I can remember when it came to snow it had a smaller impact in NYC especially in comparison to last weeks storm. 

There is a reason why 93 is and will always be #1.. And as far as I can remember when it came to snow it had very little impact in NYC especially in comparison to last weeks storm. 

That was an inland runner that became a coastal hugger. Snow from the FL Panhandle to Maine. It also brought severe thunderstorms as far South as Cuba.

Superstorm_Snowfalltotals.jpg

I am certainly old enough to remember 96 and have fond memories of that storm, but for me this storm easily surpassed it. The constant winds and heavy snow was epic, as was the fact that pretty much the entire peak of the storm was during the day. Boxing day and 96 are both a close second for me in no particular order.

Dec 24, 2013 is my personal favorite. Very short lived, lasted about 40-45 minutes, but it had the heaviest snow I've ever seen, rates upwards of 5 inches per hour. It came in like a dust storm, and I was on the LIE literally watching the snow accumulate, I couldn't believe my eyes. Got about 4" when all was said and done.

Proper white Christmas.

Dec 24, 2013 is my personal favorite. Very short lived, lasted about 40-45 minutes, but it had the heaviest snow I've ever seen, rates upwards of 5 inches per hour. It came in like a dust storm, and I was on the LIE literally watching the snow accumulate, I couldn't believe my eyes. Got about 4" when all was said and done.

Proper white Christmas.

Jan. 26-27, 2011 Hecs had 5" an hour confirmed at Islip Airport.

While I thought that January 2016 was just terrific, I have a special place in my heart for February 8-11, 1994. It's a combination of age (I was a sixth-grader at the time), simplicity of the era (can you believe the go-to source at the time was TWC and broadcast media? We also worried about getting the newspapers delivered! I can't believe how long ago it was), and the sheer thump of the storm.

Anyway, while it was awesome to watch the snow pile up this past Saturday, It was something else to see 2+ hours of 4"/hour snowfall from English and Gym class in sixth grade. My buddy (who is now a meteorologist) and I had gotten to school around 8, the storm hadn't started yet, and then early dismissal around 11:30 after 6-10" had already fallen. Great memory. 

1.) Blizzard of 96 (what really got me into following the weather!!)

2.) Boxing Day Blizzard. My location in Essex county got hammered, though I know this one was not nearly as widespread a storm as many others.

3.) December 2000. This one started earlier than forecasted and I remember waking up very early in the morning to 4" per hour snows

I LOVED the December 2000 storm! Basically seven hours of lake effect in Morris County.

Jan. 26-27, 2011 Hecs had 5" an hour confirmed at Islip Airport.

I lived in Jamaica for almost everything pre-2014, I think Boxing Day is my number #1 for that location, for the winds alone, and the fact that I was out during the early stages of the storm. But what makes 12/24/13 special for me is that we went from nothing to 4-5" in under an hour, the heavy snow started falling instantaneously, no flurries or anything, I wasn't even expecting any snow. And it was on Christmas Eve (at night), it couldn't have happened at a better time.

This, i live in the same area.

Here is a pic i took of middle country road in lake grove just after that storm

222774_168749949939087_1024398205_n.jpg?

Wow. I'm always in that area, never seen it look like that.

That's also the weirdest 7-eleven I've been to, it looks like it was a bank or something before that.

If you didn't pick January 96' it was for one of two reasons. You got under the heaviest banding during Boxing Day or you were too young to remember 96'. I could easily see someone younger picking January 16' that was too young for 96'.

I wasn't too young for 96 snd I picked 2016. Had more snow in the 2016 storm and the winds were much higher. True blizzard conditons for many hours in 2016.

I fully remember 1993 and 1996 and obviously PD2. For the immediate NYC metro Jan. 2016 is the new king with the Blizzard of 1996 a close 2nd.

Period.

How can you say Boxing Day is worse when Jan. 2016 had much longer periods of heavy snow and much more snow at the NYC locations with an average of 28"?

Boxing Day was greater in a small area of NJ and even that I would argue because Jan. 2016 had the same 27"-34" amounts in those parts of NJ.

Actually, it's a subjective poll. And no amount of kicking and screaming will change that - honestly not sure why you are so up in arms defending this storm.

1) 1996 -- long duration, 32" at my location in Northern NJ, something like 40" on the ground after the storm....will be tough to beat in my lifetime.

2) Boxing Day -- around 2 feet of snow at my location in Queens, wicked winds and huge impact.  The other thing is that unlike this recent storm it was frigid cold after the storm which really made cleanup very tough (along with the last minute change in forecast).  Maybe for City denizens this last storm was "better," Boxing day had a bigger impact with stranded cars everywhere.

3) Pre-Halloween storm.  Went to Northern NJ for this one -- about 11" of snow but a total disaster with tree branches snapping nearly every 5 seconds.  A storm I will never forget.  

4) PDII.  

5) 2006...was in NJ right across the river for this one....best thundersnow and heavy snow totals.  

Archived