• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
you think the 6-10 day & 11-15 day GFS is goofy in the US?

This has been going on for  weeks and it has    become so  bad  that it is  actually impacting grain  prices... brazil is the world's  2nd largest ..or now tied with the USA as the  world's  biggest  Soybean producer

in the  12z  Tuesday GFS  for the 6-10  day    the model  drops over  8" of rain in central  brazil... whch in a El Nino  summer is Typically  drier than Normal 

post-9415-0-17032200-1418158039_thumb.jp

in the 2nd image the  12z Tuesday GFS  drops 12"+ of rain  over   eastern Mato  Grosso  in west central brazil ..in a  5 day period.

post-9415-0-93479400-1418158056_thumb.jp

the 12z GFS 13km model run is somewhat more  reasonable.

The 12 z  CMC   has the rains   much further south and shows  small  blobs of  5" rains in the 6-10 day . The  12z  european has more rain in central Brazil with many   3-4" rains  area. with    excellent  coverage... but nothing like 8-9" or  12" rains

I have no idea why people are looking for a 'typical' El Nino when the basin wide temps- hi and mid water- are all in flux from trad. norms...look at the cold plume coming off central Japan and wonder- what ARE we really seeing?

Way too soon to worry re: SA soy btw- this is just hot money.

Wait...are you arguing the atmosphere is NOT in a el nino state?

they have hats and mittens hats here in the general store way in the back I have no idea why people are looking for a 'typical' El Nino when the basin wide temps- hi and mid water- are all in flux from trad. norms...look at the cold plume coming off central Japan and wonder- what ARE we really seeing?

Way too soon to worry re: SA soy btw- this is just hot money.

DUDE    really?   WOW   your argument is pitiful 

weenies  dont  grasp there is  a difference between getting some  portion of the event wrong  vs BUSTING.

It is clear you are one of these    kind of  folks.   

all  models  get  something  wrong  especially  on east coast Low which  are big and complex .
That is NOT     the same thing  as busting .

BUSTING  for example    would  be the feb 12-13,   2014   Big east coast  Low which dropped  14-20" over  VA  piedmont  the  Shenandoah valley  and   into central MD. The euro showed that Low.. showed that  amount of snow  7.5  days out while the GFS hs  clear skies and  some rain over northern FL.

or the   GFS  awful performance NOV 26 when many in NYC  and  others  ( inCluding    NWS OKX)  were  CERTAIN that the GFS   was going to  trump the Euro  and several inches of  snow was  likely  for NYC 

With  regard  to  this event more than 7 days ago the  EURO  was the ONLY  made which had this low and showed  it and   was nearly perfect.  

2nd  the snow in   central Northern PA  issue  has not been decided yet..

the euro nailed the  rain amounts perfectly 

and the Low is  within    40 miles  of  he euro  from    5   5 .5 and 6 days ago

First off, the snow it showed in central/northern Pa didn't really happen, the rain amounts were to much didnt account for the dry slot. Also the low in reality was like 75-100 miles east of the EURO

DUDE    really?   WOW   your argument is pitiful 

weenies  dont  grasp there is  a difference between getting some  portion of the event wrong  vs BUSTING.

It is clear you are one of these    kind of  folks.   

all  models  get  something  wrong  especially  on east coast Low which  are big and complex .

That is NOT     the same thing  as busting .

BUSTING  for example    would  be the feb 12-13,   2014   Big east coast  Low which dropped  14-20" over  VA  piedmont  the  Shenandoah valley  and   into central MD. The euro showed that Low.. showed that  amount of snow  7.5  days out while the GFS hs  clear skies and  some rain over northern FL.

or the   GFS  awful performance NOV 26 when many in NYC  and  others  ( inCluding    NWS OKX)  were  CERTAIN that the GFS   was going to  trump the Euro  and several inches of  snow was  likely  for NYC 

With  regard  to  this event more than 7 days ago the  EURO  was the ONLY  made which had this low and showed  it and   was nearly perfect.  

2nd  the snow in   central Northern PA  issue  has not been decided yet..

the euro nailed the  rain amounts perfectly 

and the Low is  within    40 miles  of  he euro  from    5   5 .5 and 6 days ago

What ? Everyone posting in the PA sub forum are reporting TOTALS MUCH MUCH lower than expected from the EUro.

What ? Everyone posting in the PA sub forum are reporting TOTALS MUCH MUCH lower than expected from the EUro.

TeleConnectSnow,

Where the ECMWF did badly relative to the GFS was the 2/9 0z cycle. For the medium-term (the timeframe Dave is talking about regarding Brazil), the ECMWF was well ahead of the GFS in suggesting the potential for a high-impact nor'easter. In short, one run of the ECMWF did badly, not most or all of its runs.

Wait...are you arguing the atmosphere is NOT in a el nino state?

DT,

There are some typical el Nino features such as the enhanced Pac jet, but regarding the greater global atmosphere, I have noticed that from an angular momentum standpoint there has been nothing that screams el Nino. Not arguing, just something that I have observed and thought I'd throw it out there. Do you have any thoughts on that?

i suspect   everyone there  was  using  snow  maps  from wxbell   euro model right ?

I use MDA/Earthsat Euro maps and they were horrible because they were way too high in much of the SE US. This problem is not just a WxBell problem or Earthsat problem. This problem lies at the source, ECMWF, which doesn't differentiate between different types of precip. when it is 32 or lower. It is all counted as accumulating SN even if, say it is ZR! The GFS doesn't have this problem at all/

true but its NOT    moderate or strong el nine  either 

DT,

There are some typical el Nino features such as the enhanced Pac jet, but regarding the greater global atmosphere, I have noticed that from an angular momentum standpoint there has been nothing that screams el Nino. Not arguing, just something that I have observed and thought I'd throw it out there. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Archived