• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Late March Cold Snap & Snow Event March 24-26, 2014

tnweathernut

I am very impressed with this event. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be so intense. Woke up to around an inch on the ground this morning, which was beautiful, as it stuck to everything. That quickly melted and then got another huge burst on my way to class around noon. The snow was falling so hard it was sticking to the hood of my car as I drove which for one was warm and second, it  was above freezing outside. Then while in class, another huge burst of snow happened. The building I was in was about 15-20 feet from another building. I looked out the window at one point and you couldn't even see it! Was just a sheet of white. Definitely one of the coolest marginal snow events I have witnessed recently. It keeps sticking but then melting, but I am cool with that considering its almost April. :pimp:

There's quite a band moving down from SE Kentucky now, if it sticks together it should be a fun 1/2 hour or so for everyone when it gets to them.

It's looks like a line of storms. Hopefully it can get here before the sun goes down and we lose our instability. I picked up 1/2 from one or the earlier only for it too be gone in 10 minutes! The sun angle can work wonder this time of year.

my6abyzu.jpg

Dang man that was a CRAZY band that rolled through I agree John, it was the heaviest snow I've ever seen what a way to close the books on an awesome winter with a band that produces a quarter to half inch of snow in ten minutes with whiteout conditions

Well, it began in October here and looks like we end in late March.  Six consecutive months of at least a trace of snow at KTRI.  One of the coldest Januarys on record.  Two nights w/ below zero temps.  And then today....

I was in a meeting in downtown Kingsport(near Food City) sitting next to a third floor window facing northwest towards Lynn Garden and 11W.  It was incredible to watch the snow squalls roll in.  John1122, 1994 has turned out to be an adequate analog, though not perfect.  Remember earlier this winter we were talking about the enhanced afternoon squalls from that winter.  That is the last time I have seen what I saw today.  Winds gusting to 25 or 30 mph.  Nearly white-out conditions.  The radar was full of little "popcorn" squalls.  Great weather day.  Last squall just went through.  Next winter, El Nino appears to make a visit.  Looking more moderate than weak.  Long way off...but would guess a warmer than normal winter is on the way w/ one or two east coast monsters.  Feast or famine next winter.

I'm not certain winter is done with us yet. I've saw snow showery days like this roll into April. It snowed almost this hard in April of 1997 but lasted for a solid hour and I got 2 inches. I'd have had 3-4 inches if that snow from earlier had fallen for an hour.

25w is backed up through Campbell Co right now due to the wreck on the interstate that the snow caused. 

Looked more like summer thundershowers than winter snow showers. Definitely goes in the books as a memorable neat event, even if not big. In Chatty I even saw a snow free base to the left of the snow shaft. Dreamed of cold air funnels, lol. I'm so ready for spring storm chasing!

Archived