joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
COLD OBS / Forecast

NorEaster27

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know many will disagree but in the absence of snow I still love cold. It gives you a wintry feel. And regardless even if we miss out on a big one friday-saturday, beginning of february looks to rock with renewed cold and storm chances.

I wish we could go below 0F.  

Much worse with wind.  Or maybe I've just gotten used to it here.  IDK.

Totally agree.  During our cold outbreak in Jan of 2011 here, it was 4-6F on the coldest morning.  I thought it would be fun to run along the east river.  A 25mph wind in your face and with those temps running is pretty miserable.  The only thing that really makes freezing cold running weather tolerable is heavy snow.

Below zero is painful cold.  I skied once in VT when it was -25 to -30F.  It was not fun.

I went to Vermont for skiing this winter, but the coldest it got was -2F. I was kinda disappointed. The single digits during the day weren't so bad, even with gusty winds on the summits. I'm sure -25 to -30F is painful cold, but I'd like to experience it at least once. 

I went to Vermont for skiing this winter, but the coldest it got was -2F. I was kinda disappointed. The single digits during the day weren't so bad, even with gusty winds on the summits. I'm sure -25 to -30F is painful cold, but I'd like to experience it at least once. 

I skied first weknd of Jan this year upstate NY and the wind chills were down in the -20 to -30 range around 3k up, it was very painful even with no skin exposed. Impressive cold day but the upper 20s high temp forecast by upton doesnt look as bad with the 12am high.

On 1/10/2004 it was 1 degree in Central Park with no snow pack.  This is cold by recent standards, but nothing compared to the past.

snow pack isnt a huge factor unless we are getting cold by radational cooling. If we have a 20-30 mph wind, the temp is more a function of 850s with snowpack not really adding to the equation.

I wonder if its the coldest we been since 2009? January 2011 had some chilly days

Last year the lowest temperature was 13 at Central Park.  In 2011 it was 6, though that was with snow on the ground. 

The last time the high failed to reach 20 was January 2009, when one day only reached 16.  To find an after colder, you have to go back to January 2004 when one day only reached 15.  After that you have to go back to January 1994 when one day only reached 10.  In January 1985 there was a day where the high was only 9.

Last year the lowest temperature was 13 at Central Park.  In 2011 it was 6, though that was with snow on the ground. 

The last time the high failed to reach 20 was January 2009, when one day only reached 16.  To find an after colder, you have to go back to January 2004 when one day only reached 15.  After that you have to go back to January 1994 when one day only reached 10.  In January 1985 there was a day where the high was only 9.

high of 9 i would expect 850s near -30

snow pack isnt a huge factor unless we are getting cold by radational cooling. If we have a 20-30 mph wind, the temp is more a function of 850s with snowpack not really adding to the equation.

While somewhat true, there is a modification factor too, whereby air moving over large swaths of bare ground modifies more than air moving over large areas of snow.

I skied first weknd of Jan this year upstate NY and the wind chills were down in the -20 to -30 range around 3k up, it was very painful even with no skin exposed. Impressive cold day but the upper 20s high temp forecast by upton doesnt look as bad with the 12am high.

I've felt up to -20F when I was in Poland during January 2010, that was with very dry air though and absolutely no wind, and I agree it was not that bad. 

Hopefully tonight isn't one of those nights where we drop to 15F by midnight and hold there till morning. 

Archived