12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL 1/25-27 potential Part III

NortheastPAWx

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a tiny fine line here for a snowy solution anywhere near the cities. As Snowgoose has said before, the kicker is mis-modeled in the least bit and the low goes back to a coastal hugger, and none of this discussion about highs even matter. But also, the overall flow out ahead of the storm remains easterly, and off the Atlantic. So much needs to go right here that it's hard to really get excited about this threat. Inland is favored much more than the coast.

The cold sector precip absolutely blows...areas that stay all snow don't get that much QPF. You have to be closer to the coast..and the heavy dynamics..to get the better QPF.

I am not shocked by this. If there is a way to get screwed, mother nature will find a way to give it to me.

I still think there will be a lot of changes by 12z tomorrow when all the shortwaves are in data-collecting areas.

FIM: http://fim.noaa.gov/...+Jan+2010+-+00Z

Stands for Flow-following Finite-volume Icosahedral Model. Idk what that means but it sounds fancy

An Icosahedron is a polyhedron.

In geometry, an icosahedron (Greek: εικοσάεδρον, from eikosi twenty + hedron seat; pronounced /ˌaɪkɵsəˈhiːdrən/ or /aɪˌkɒsəˈhiːdrən/; plural: -drons, -dra /-drə/) is a regular polyhedron with 20 identical equilateral triangular faces, 30 edges and 12 vertices. It is one of the five Platonic solids.

from wiki

No clue why that term is being used to describe a weather model.

Such a tiny fine line here for a snowy solution anywhere near the cities. As Snowgoose has said before, the kicker is mis-modeled in the least bit and the low goes back to a coastal hugger, and none of this discussion about highs even matter. But also, the overall flow out ahead of the storm remains easterly, and off the Atlantic. So much needs to go right here that it's hard to really get excited about this threat. Inland is favored much more than the coast.

Either that or the progressive flow just kicks the whole thing out to sea. The amt of precip is so thin to the NW of the low, that might be more likely.

could be a lot of freezing rain for places just north and west of NYC. Verbatim for places like white plains its snow, to rain, to freezing rain to heavy snow.

Of course, if the Euro has the surface right and uppers wrong, i.e, colder 850 temps, it would be a cement mixer snow storm.

another ice storm for C/NNJ?

If there's a cold NNE flow funneling in off a cold high pressure, it's possible. The cold air is hard enough to scour out in some of the interior valleys there, and it's now snowcovered, making it even harder. It's not inconceivable there's a sleet/freezing rain zone for many Lehigh/NW NJ/Hudson Valley locales.

An Icosahedron is a polyhedron.

In geometry, an icosahedron (Greek: εικοσάεδρον, from eikosi twenty + hedron seat; pronounced /ˌaɪkɵsəˈhiːdrən/ or /aɪˌkɒsəˈhiːdrən/; plural: -drons, -dra /-drə/) is a regular polyhedron with 20 identical equilateral triangular faces, 30 edges and 12 vertices. It is one of the five Platonic solids.

from wiki

No clue why that term is being used to describe a weather model.

So it was a big deal back in the day when they upgraded from the triangle model to the square model?

thanks for the info

Either that or the progressive flow just kicks the whole thing out to sea. The amt of precip is so thin to the NW of the low, that might be more likely.

Arrgghh, I'm just not sure about that. Remember with this last system 2 days ago, models shifted the storm east to even give us little precip 2 days out or so, only to verify closer to the coast to the point where the R/S line practically made it just about to here. In weak NAO situations and strong Ninas, storms just want to amplify as much as physically possible east of the Mississippi. The northern stream is often more assertive than the models see, and it forces a cutter or unfavorable track here.

We literally have to just about win the lottery to get a major snow event out of this storm, given the high roaring east flow into our area for a day, and then the possibility of a coast hugger on top of it. My money's on mostly rain, but I really hope that's wrong. When the blocking regime returns hopefully next month, we'll be in a much more favorable setup.

I don't think people should be too concerned with temperatures that is one subject that will work itself out, models will have to figure out several variables such as influence of the HP, wind direction, dynamic cooling with a system of this nature. The 0z EURO is stronger and a bit further east with the placement, yet 12z showed mainly snow. These things will work themselves out, but the potential is there, maybe the GFS and EURO tomorrow will give us a better idea on temps as we get closer, they seem to be leading the pack and trending towards a solution. Honestly in this winter, a lot seems to work out favorably, if nothing else.

I do not think the ECM was further east tonight then its 12 Z counterpart...

The 00z was more amped up....so if anything that would argue that it is more NW tonight then it was at 12 Z....

At 96 hrs there is a 983 mb low pressure

That is 50 miles or less off the coast....

Thats pretty much a coastal hugger and thats why it increased QPF towards the west tonight....

Arrgghh, I'm just not sure about that. Remember with this last system 2 days ago, models shifted the storm east to even give us little precip 2 days out or so, only to verify closer to the coast to the point where the R/S line practically made it just about to here. In weak NAO situations and strong Ninas, storms just want to amplify as much as physically possible east of the Mississippi. The northern stream is often more assertive than the models see, and it forces a cutter or unfavorable track here.

We literally have to just about win the lottery to get a major snow event out of this storm, given the high roaring east flow into our area for a day, and then the possibility of a coast hugger on top of it. My money's on mostly rain, but I really hope that's wrong. When the blocking regime returns hopefully next month, we'll be in a much more favorable setup.

Yeah, there's no reason to have any angst over this whether it pans out or not-- next month looks like it might be one for the ages and at this point I dont care if the AO is -10 MILLION next month, I hope it gets to the lowest point it can physically be at-- and it starts in just a little over a week ;) But I see this as more of a mix or back and forth thing rather than all rain. Im liking the Xmas 2002 analog.

Just another solution for us to consider. People shouldn't be hanging their hat on anything now.

I think the inter and intra model changes have been relatively small compared to some of the huge hit or miss neck snapping runs we often get in the mid-range (4-6 day) period. And I agree, p-type and QPF are impossible to even roughly sort out when there are so many more model runs before the actual thing. But I think the idea of a storm coming up the coast, just on or offshore, and flooding the coastal plain with warmth at some level(s) is clearly one of the major worries.

euro qpf lines

somerset, PA to just west of harrisburg, PA, to Hazleton, PA, to Schenecdity, NY into central VT

Hagerstown, MD to Reading, PA, to Mt Pocono, to just south of Albany, NY into SW VT

1"

Martins burg, VA along PA/MD border to Coatsville, PA, to Doylestown, PA along Delaware river border of NW NJ and PA to Poughkeepsie, NY to VT, MA border

Wilmington, De thru Philly, to Trenton to morsitown, NJ to Newburgh, NY to CT/MA border

middletown, DE, to Cherry Hill NJ, to NYC to New Haven, CT, (all of LI)

millvile, NJ to Monmouth Beach NJ

Archived