Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 17-19th Plains/MW/Lakes Storm Potential

A-L-E-K

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow is the 12z NAM different. It's sort of what the GFS ensembles have been hinting at for a while. It's still too warm for anything significant ahead of the front, but it develops the ejecting ul features more robustly which sets up some deformation zone snows across the eastern Lakes Tuesday night.

WeatherGuru been mentioning this for days to.

I'm sure SSC's ears have perked up a little. 12z NAM is initially rain for YYZ, but then brings a pretty decent hit of snow with the changeover. If right, it could possibly put him over 30" for the season. :whistle:

EDIT: Too late. :lol:

84 hr NAM. Nuff said.

But it's going to happen eventually. It's a nice lesson in not being a reactionary idiot, although if making that wager was the causal factor in my recent snow fortunes, I don't regret a thing. :)

WeatherGuru been mentioning this for days to.

Well it's a little different. The southern stream s/w, which is responsible for the coastal, is not the culprit. It's the northern stream s/w being slower, deeper, and closing off (at least at 850). He was mentioning the low over the Gulf moving northward and impacting the OV, which is still not the case.

84 hr NAM. Nuff said.

True. But the NAM has sniffed 'em out before. Although hasn't the GGEM been on the southern/eastern train too? Truthfully I haven't pay as much attention since all rain became likely for here...and that hasn't changed. It'll be interesting to see the rest of the 12z guidance. I hope it works out for you and the MI folks.

True. But the NAM has sniffed 'em out before. Although hasn't the GGEM been on the southern/eastern train too? Truthfully I haven't pay as much attention since all rain became likely for here...and that hasn't changed. It'll be interesting to see the rest of the 12z guidance. I hope it works out for you and the MI folks.

Thanks Tim. The luck's cyclical. I'm sure it'll swing back in your favour eventually. Although 6" for LAF and only half way through January doesn't sound like it's too shabby?

Thanks Tim. The luck's cyclical. I'm sure it'll swing back in your favour eventually. Although 6" for LAF and only half way through January doesn't sound like it's too shabby?

I have no complaints about this winter for here thus far...that's for sure. :lol: But we all know how it goes, lame cliche or not, you can't win 'em all. And in this case, I just hope somebody from our forum can score some snowfall out of this cluster...

Not quite per the snowfall map.

20030306_096_total.png

It's probably a bit too far south and extreme too. Of course it's the 2nd top analog.

Ahh the infamous winter of 2002-03, where southeast MI saw a most unlikely snow scenario. As much as 70" reported in Detroits southern suburbs near the OH border (including 69.0" imby and 60.9" at DTW), with as little as 25" reported near Saginaw Bay (though 42.4" officially in Saginaw).

As I recall the above storm was one of the first to hit the northern burbs harder. Had 4.1" at DTW with 3.1" imby.

A few drops of rain, then 4-6" of cement per 12z NAM for YYZ.

Yeah, as p-o'd as I was about this above-freezing-for-a-day-and-rain scenario, I could live with the 12z NAM. Still gives us at least 12 hours of above freezing temps (though no warmer than mid-30s, unless you believe MOS, always crappy in situations like this), so you figure the snowpack, which is currently 5-6", may go down to like 4", but with 3+ inches of deform snow, would end even better in the end. And as I mentioned yesterday, these every-other-day shovelable snows are really making some decent snowbanks, so 6" snowpack now looks a little better than the 6" snowpack in December :)

True. But the NAM has sniffed 'em out before. [b}Although hasn't the GGEM been on the southern/eastern train too?[/b] Truthfully I haven't pay as much attention since all rain became likely for here...and that hasn't changed. It'll be interesting to see the rest of the 12z guidance. I hope it works out for you and the MI folks.

Yes it has, and the key is more often than not its on the NW end of guidance, thus why its a red flag being further South and East.

Be careful with the NAM here, it is only 24 hours with respect to the GFS and the NAM "Phase Shift" problem is already rearing its ugly head. Check out the 500 hpa height field--the entire field from E-W is phase shifted westward--and it will probably get worse through the run.

What are some of the practical implications of this problem? Over-amplification?

Archived