Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Central PA Thread Continued

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By all accounts this system is going to be flying, NWS gives us a 10-12 hour period of snow.. I think 2-5" for city is safe.

I don't think that 4-7 inches in a 10-12 hour period is unreasonable at all....half an inch an hour ratios aren't ground breaking...I got 3 inches or so in a 5-6 hour period with the last storm.

I don't think that 4-7 inches in a 10-12 hour period is unreasonable at all....half an inch an hour ratios aren't ground breaking...I got 3 inches or so in a 5-6 hour period with the last storm.

I got 4" from the 6hr snow the other storm too. This will likely be another storm were .5-1" per hr rates are likely.

I've always wondered, and forgive me if this kind of question is out-of-line: Is there any type of rivalry between NWS guys and on-air mets and "professional" mets (the guys who work for private companies)?

I mean, is a position with the NWS a goal that most mets have, or not really? I imagine they're apples v oranges so it's not much of a competition, but figured I'd ask. :) (For the record, as a journalist, it's no rivalry really until someone infringes on your specific coverage area)

Around here at least, there is no rivalry between on-air mets and the NWS -- we all have the ability to communicate with the NWS, especially during times of severe weather and will sometimes share information with them.

In general, I would say most TV mets like directly communicating to viewers and just like the TV setting. That being said, that's not to say some (including myself) wouldn't consider moving to a non-broadcast position like an Accuwx or NWS.

Some very light sprinkles beginning to fall here as that secondary batch of precip tries to push thru. Had the handheld out a bit ago and it was lurking near 32 with a 25 degree dewpoint.. hopefully this stuff gets on thru quickly because alot of stations east of the Laurels are near or below freezing.

PSU8315 and MAG,

Wanted to mention this....today I had six people ask me in person and via Twitter where the "big storm" was. I asked what the meant, and they went on about how this major storm was supposed to happen and it was going to be a really bad ice storm. Thing is, when I asked where they heard it, they said either TV or the National Weather Service. When I told them no, there were no one calling for it, they kinda got defensive and said no this was hyped to be a really bad storm and we got next to nothing.

These are not dumb people. I often wonder where the hell people hear this stuff.

Some very light sprinkles beginning to fall here as that secondary batch of precip tries to push thru. Had the handheld out a bit ago and it was lurking near 32 with a 25 degree dewpoint.. hopefully this stuff gets on thru quickly because alot of stations east of the Laurels are near or below freezing.

Yeah, that precip really held together. Might be a bit of a surprise tonight.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST WEDNESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTERWEATHER ADVISORY FOR MIXED PRECIPITATION...WHICH IS IN EFFECTUNTIL 5 AM EST WEDNESDAY.* LOCATION...CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA.* PRECIPITATION TYPE...A MIXTURE OF FREEZING RAIN AND RAIN...POSSIBLY ENDING AS LIGHT SNOW LATE TONIGHT ACROSS NORTHERN PENNSYLVANIA.* ACCUMULATIONS...A LIGHT GLAZE OF ICE IS EXPECTED. ANY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS SHOULD BE LESS THAN AN INCH AND CONFINED TO THE MOUNTAINS NORTH OF I-80.* TIMING...THE WINTRY MIX WILL OVERSPREAD MOST OF THE AREA BETWEEN 9 PM AND MIDNIGHT. PRECIPITATION SHOULD TAPER OFF BETWEEN 5 AND 8 AM.

PSU8315 and MAG,

Wanted to mention this....today I had six people ask me in person and via Twitter where the "big storm" was. I asked what the meant, and they went on about how this major storm was supposed to happen and it was going to be a really bad ice storm. Thing is, when I asked where they heard it, they said either TV or the National Weather Service. When I told them no, there were no one calling for it, they kinda got defensive and said no this was hyped to be a really bad storm and we got next to nothing.

These are not dumb people. I often wonder where the hell people hear this stuff.

Lol, yea I often wonder myself where people hear such things. It must be like in high school when someone hears about such and such and by the end of the day its the most outrageous thing you've ever heard. :lol:

PSU8315 and MAG,

People seem to hear what they want to hear sometimes. Even when I was growing up, people would say things about how 6" of snow was coming when all of the TV mets said snow showers or an inch or two.

Unfortunately, some people will probably be caught off guard by the ice tonight. My car has a fresh glaze of ice on it and it's only 29 (and still raining).

People seem to hear what they want to hear sometimes. Even when I was growing up, people would say things about how 6" of snow was coming when all of the TV mets said snow showers or an inch or two.

Unfortunately, some people will probably be caught off guard by the ice tonight. My car has a fresh glaze of ice on it and it's only 29 (and still raining).

I Tweeted about it to let people who follow me here know. I also do weather updates and a daily forecast for the helluva it using the hashtag #CentreCast

Light freezing rain falling here, decks glazin over. Its the fine raindrops too so its good for ice accretion on stuff. I agree with Brian, this could catch some folks off guard. Secondary roads and bridges/overpasses are def gonna have a high danger of black ice and if we have a changeover to snow before the precip shield gets through it could really be messy.

Archived