Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Central PA Thread Continued

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People seem to hear what they want to hear sometimes. Even when I was growing up, people would say things about how 6" of snow was coming when all of the TV mets said snow showers or an inch or two.

Unfortunately, some people will probably be caught off guard by the ice tonight. My car has a fresh glaze of ice on it and it's only 29 (and still raining).

That is so true. Anytime snow or ice is mentioned in the forecast, many people automatically think it's going to be a BIG storm.

Thackara from ABC 27 -

"Next, we turn our attention to a storm system moving in for Thursday night and Friday morning. Clouds will increase during the day tomorrow with snow arriving by late evening. Most of the snow will fall overnight Thursday and the storm should be done by Friday morning. Total accumulation at this point looks to be between 2 and 5 inches. As more data comes in, we'll keep watching and keep you posted on the latest."

And from Mr. Lambert at CTP -

"MODEL CONSENSUS IS FOR A WIDESPREAD LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOWFALL OF

2-4 INCHES ACROSS MUCH OF THE CWA. AROUND 5 INCHES IS IN THE CARDS

FOR THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF SCHUYLKILL COUNTY...AND PERHAPS THE REGION

EAST OF HARRISBURG."

Thackara from ABC 27 -

"Next, we turn our attention to a storm system moving in for Thursday night and Friday morning. Clouds will increase during the day tomorrow with snow arriving by late evening. Most of the snow will fall overnight Thursday and the storm should be done by Friday morning. Total accumulation at this point looks to be between 2 and 5 inches. As more data comes in, we'll keep watching and keep you posted on the latest."

And from Mr. Lambert at CTP -

"MODEL CONSENSUS IS FOR A WIDESPREAD LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOWFALL OF

2-4 INCHES ACROSS MUCH OF THE CWA. AROUND 5 INCHES IS IN THE CARDS

FOR THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF SCHUYLKILL COUNTY...AND PERHAPS THE REGION

EAST OF HARRISBURG."

He is the worst met in the harrisburg area, imo. I like WHTM 27 news, but if he is working, when they get to the weather, i change the channel. He was horriable last year.

He's better than Rob Dixon imo.

33 and a steady rain in Harrisburg. Ice is definitely not an issue this morning on the roads except maybe the outer edges of backroads (left over from yesterday).

We'll see what happens Thursday night/Friday morning. Models surely don't have a great handle (consistent, at least) as of last night's 0z runs for sure. :)

He's better than Rob Dixon imo.

33 and a steady rain in Harrisburg. Ice is definitely not an issue this morning on the roads except maybe the outer edges of backroads (left over from yesterday).

We'll see what happens Thursday night/Friday morning. Models surely don't have a great handle (consistent, at least) as of last night's 0z runs for sure. :)

I forgot about him...ah what the heck, i don't like any of them.

If i was reading it right, the nam had us getting 5 1/2" We shall see

Who needs 'em? We have this thread anyway, far superior to any local TV met.

Boy ain't that the truth. I said the same thing about a week or so ago, if we're relying on the local TV guys for weather, we are all in trouble. I don't like any of them. That is, except for Weather World.

Joe Lundberg is going for 3" to 6" for here tomorrow night, he's usually very good and conservative with his numbers.

I'm a little confused as far as timing. Now understand i may have no idea what i'm reading here http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/data/cobb_nam/nam_kmdt.dat

but to me, it looks like the snow arrives around 1am and snow until about 2 pm....But people at work are telling me they are hearing from the locals, snow early thursday and done by 6am friday?

I'm a little confused as far as timing. Now understand i may have no idea what i'm reading here http://www.meteor.ia...am/nam_kmdt.dat

but to me, it looks like the snow arrives around 1am and snow until about 2 pm....But people at work are telling me they are hearing from the locals, snow early thursday and done by 6am friday?

Remember that the times are in GMT, so 14z would be 9am (since we are in Standard time). Add the fact that these things usually end faster than the models say they will, that gives you an end time around mid-morning Friday.

Remember that the times are in GMT, so 14z would be 9am (since we are in Standard time). Add the fact that these things usually end faster than the models say they will, that gives you an end time around mid-morning Friday.

Ah, didn't realize that, thank you...

so this line is for 9PM? 110121/0200Z 50 VRB02KT 25.7F SNOW

Kind of talking in general terms. We see about the same, but overall in most areas it's not as significant as last week.

Would love to see amounts tick up. It's hard to get excited about 2-4" when you've been missing out on 6-12"+ events all winter.

I'm the opposite - I'm excited for a 2-4" event because we've had nothing over 4" all winter! Ha

Archived