e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NE OK/ NW AR/ SE KS/ SW MO Winter 2011

JoMo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what is going to pan out over the next 48 hours or so, but I do know there is some huge bust potential in the forecast. I would especially not want to be forecasting in NW Arkansas.

Now this is starting to get interesting. Anyone here north of 412 is susceptible to a high snow total if they are in the right spot for banding. :weight_lift:

Despite the fact we are not supposed to get much snow here(climatologically), it is starting to seem like we might do OK after all if the SW trough can get locked in for a while.

And GFS data on Bufkit site:

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/data/index.html

5.6" Joplin

5.7" Monett

5.0 Springfield

3.7" Fayetteville

5.3" Tulsa

Hey JoMo, I am not able to get to a computer (have been following this thread thanks to my Blackberry)...what's does the 00z Bufkit GFS pump out for snow accumulation in Wichita?

I'll be interested in looking at some model data early in the morning, but overall here generally expecting a 1-3" snow.

haha love how the nam wxcaster says 3-4" here now and the gfs says 7-8". Let the challenges begin. It amazes me how much different all the models can be. No wonder my head spins in circles trying to remember it all. I do like that gfs clown map jomo lol. It usually seems to me the nam is better on the qpf though once its in its time frame....at least so far its been right on most of the time up here.

The key to this event may be how quick and if a surface low can form over the Red River...even a weak low there can really start pumping in Gulf Moisture as you get a SSE circulation feed on its east side...the 00Z GFS shows a surface low briefly at 36 hours before it gets squashed....the 2/23/03 event overachieved largely due to a small surface low forming.

Looking at a solid advisory event here in Kansas later this afternoon and tonight. While reading the ICT AFD, it was interesting to note that they feel the GFS model has been the most consistent with this storm for the last 24 hours and they largely went with that. Still some uncertainty on where that second area of snow sets up....as that will be what will gives areas south of I-70 in Kansas the bulk of the accumulations. I would dare say that if there was a location with a huge bust potential, it would be in south central Kansas since mesoscale bands of snow are extremely hard to model and have the tendency to surprise people. That said, there has been good consistency with NAM and GFS on where that band of enhanced snow sets up. Meanwhile, NE KS and NW MO look to be the big winners with 4-8" snows likely.

ICT's Snowfall Forecast Map

snowFcst2.png

Looks like the radar is already starting to fill in for Eastern KS and NE OK. Anyone know if this is hitting the ground or is this virga? Dewpoints are pretty close to actually temps so the air doesn't seem to be too dry. I didn't expect to see anything on the radar until much later this afternoon/early evening.

its almost here and its ice yikes! its not supposed to come this early i dont want to run to the school this early!!! not hitting the ground yet.

Archived