northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Ohio And Surronding states...(WVA,KY,PA,IN,MI) Part 2

Steve

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

February 7th and CLE's largest synoptic storm is still a pathetic 3.6 inches.:arrowhead: The winter of perpetual light snows, season 2!

It's been a frustrating winter to say the least, and with a break from threats for the near term, I don't think I've ever looked forward to spring this early in the season before.

February 7th and CLE's largest synoptic storm is still a pathetic 3.6 inches.:arrowhead: The winter of perpetual light snows, season 2!

It's been a frustrating winter to say the least, and with a break from threats for the near term, I don't think I've ever looked forward to spring this early in the season before.

It felt balmy outside this morning... even though it was only 34. Almost a spring feel to the air.

I'm about ready to put this winter to bed. Once we get past mid Feb I'm done with it. With no real synpotic threats on the horizon, and a frozen lake, its going to be rather boring for awhile.

It felt balmy outside this morning... even though it was only 34. Almost a spring feel to the air.

I'm about ready to put this winter to bed. Once we get past mid Feb I'm done with it. With no real synpotic threats on the horizon, and a frozen lake, its going to be rather boring for awhile.

Looking at the midwest seasonal snowfall totals thread puts it into perspective how screwed over we've been. Looking at % of normal snowfall, most places are doing amazing in the US, funny how a few locations just can't buy a storm.

Looking at the midwest seasonal snowfall totals thread puts it into perspective how screwed over we've been. Looking at % of normal snowfall, most places are doing amazing in the US, funny how a few locations just can't buy a storm.

Maybe statistically. But since the start of December we've had near-continuous snow cover out here on the east side of town. Only around New Year's did it go bare and even then it was short-lived. So no matter where the snow itself comes from, this has been a phenomenal run of winter on the east side.

I see things in a relative way. Nothing for me compares to the winter of 2001/02 that I spent in Philadelphia. We had 1 single storm of about 3", that was it, no other snow or sleet or even virga the entire winter. Of course 2002/03 more than made up for it.

Maybe statistically. But since the start of December we've had near-continuous snow cover out here on the east side of town. Only around New Year's did it go bare and even then it was short-lived. So no matter where the snow itself comes from, this has been a phenomenal run of winter on the east side.

I see things in a relative way. Nothing for me compares to the winter of 2001/02 that I spent in Philadelphia. We had 1 single storm of about 3", that was it, no other snow or sleet or even virga the entire winter. Of course 2002/03 more than made up for it.

Luckily downtown did have the lake effect storm at the beginning of December. Otherwise I'd be miserable. The west side, which missed that LES storm really has nothing going for it this winter except light snows that never melt. Take a look at the f6 for CLE since winter's start, YAWN.

Picked up about 2.5 last night. There was .5 of fine snow from the storm to the south and 2 inches of fluff on top.

Sent a note to CLE re: the magically disappearing snowfall totals. Response...

I am not sure how the snow seemingly appears and disappears from the total. As you know, the FAA contract observers (ASOS augmentation) measure the snow and include it in the METARS. Our daily totals are supposed to be based strictly on their measurements. We would like nothing more than to put out reasonable daily snow totals.

Picked up about 2.5 last night. There was .5 of fine snow from the storm to the south and 2 inches of fluff on top.

Sent a note to CLE re: the magically disappearing snowfall totals. Response...

I am not sure how the snow seemingly appears and disappears from the total. As you know, the FAA contract observers (ASOS augmentation) measure the snow and include it in the METARS. Our daily totals are supposed to be based strictly on their measurements. We would like nothing more than to put out reasonable daily snow totals.

I had 1.5" fluff and 0.4" fine snow. The fluff puts into perspective how moot a seasonal snowfall number is. That 1.5" can't even be compared to 1.5" of snow like what fell with the WAA snows last week. I wish we kept track of liquid equivalent yearly snowfall totals instead. CLE and YNG would be neck and neck.

I had 1.5" fluff and 0.4" fine snow. The fluff puts into perspective how moot a seasonal snowfall number is. That 1.5" can't even be compared to 1.5" of snow like what fell with the WAA snows last week. I wish we kept track of liquid equivalent yearly snowfall totals instead. CLE and YNG would be neck and neck.

No question. The seasonal totals are definitely inflated with LES fluff. Would be much more impressive if it was synoptic snow.

Windy and cold out there right now. Strong winds are mixing down causing a lot of blowing snow.

F*ck this winter! Sliding off a country road and into a ditch...$400.00 damage...on only 1/2 an inch of snow? I mean if it was a six inch + snowfall or something it might not be so bad. But crap slick/icy roads once again and only a half inch of snow to show for it..once again?

Bring on the late winter megasnow event or just get into the seventies already.

F*ck this winter! Sliding off a country road and into a ditch...$400.00 damage...on only 1/2 an inch of snow? I mean if it was a six inch + snowfall or something it might not be so bad. But crap slick/icy roads once again and only a half inch of snow to show for it..once again?

Bring on the late winter megasnow event or just get into the seventies already.

Eighties sound better..:thumbsup:

No question. The seasonal totals are definitely inflated with LES fluff. Would be much more impressive if it was synoptic snow.

Windy and cold out there right now. Strong winds are mixing down causing a lot of blowing snow.

You know what's funny. There was a general 4-5 inches from the WAA snows last week that was very dense and dry like sand. Yet you would not believe how many people said "oh we got 8 inches or 12 inches" because it seemed so much more than the same fluff off the lake.

I think the totals here greatly overestimate the amount that falls in a season. It barely takes a hundredth or two of moisture to get a fluffy inch here in winter. Because these light snowfalls are so frequent, and don't fall victim to compacting during snowfall because they stay under 2 inches, the snowfall shoots seasonal totals upward. If you were to take 4 of our 2" fluff events and have them occur at the same time, compaction during snowfall would probably give 4" instead of 8. I think this is partially why YNGs totals are ridiculous.

It is impressive that most of the region has been able to amass a 10-17" snowpack by continually adding inch by inch, which definitely seems unusual.

I need to add my snowfall totals for the season again. I think I'm pushing 50, which is mind boggling considering it feels like substantially LES.

You know what's funny. There was a general 4-5 inches from the WAA snows last week that was very dense and dry like sand. Yet you would not believe how many people said "oh we got 8 inches or 12 inches" because it seemed so much more than the same fluff off the lake.

I think the totals here greatly overestimate the amount that falls in a season. It barely takes a hundredth or two of moisture to get a fluffy inch here in winter. Because these light snowfalls are so frequent, and don't fall victim to compacting during snowfall because they stay under 2 inches, the snowfall shoots seasonal totals upward. If you were to take 4 of our 2" fluff events and have them occur at the same time, compaction during snowfall would probably give 4" instead of 8. I think this is partially why YNGs totals are ridiculous.

It is impressive that most of the region has been able to amass a 10-17" snowpack by continually adding inch by inch, which definitely seems unusual.

I need to add my snowfall totals for the season again. I think I'm pushing 50, which is mind boggling considering it feels like substantially LES.

The difference in snow consistency makes a huge difference. I wasn't here last week for the WAA snows but my wife said it seemed like much more.

My seasonal total is now at 75". There is a solid 12-14 inches on the ground. Another 15 inches or so and I'll be at normal for the season. Hard to believe as this winter just feels unimpressive. We'll probaby get one more decent storm which would push totals up even further.

I have not looked at the NCEP models site in the past 5 days. At least in the past there were threats to follow. However, I almost enjoy the reprieve.

Warmup coming will be good for you guys up there. Get the ice to melt on the lake and then once the cold air tries to return, should open the door to some pretty good LES.

Some fun stats for CLE. I decided to figure out what % of each seasonal totals snow came from calendar days that had 3" or more snow.

On average a season will only get 41% of it's snow from calendar day events of 3 inches or more. The median is 38.7%. No surprise, nickel and reigns supreme. Of course you could have storms over night, but using threshold of 3" still limits that to smaller events.

The winter of 86/87 only had 55.8", but 73.8% of that came from 3"+ events, the biggest % at CLE. The winter of 67/68 only had 7.4% come from events greater than 3, the smallest %.

Removing small events, the 30 year average at CLE drops from near 63" to 29".

Using this method this winter places at bottom 8th for snowfall significance.

Even with the low dewpoints, snow pack took a huge hit. I'm sure most of Ohio will be snow free by the end of the week.

Looks like the southwest winds pushed all the ice out in Lake Erie out towards the eastern end.

Yeah, it's going to be nice to see the ground again. It should also help temps climb more easily -- although, they've already been running warmer than forecast.

Even with the low dewpoints, snow pack took a huge hit. I'm sure most of Ohio will be snow free by the end of the week.

Looks like the southwest winds pushed all the ice out in Lake Erie out towards the eastern end.

The wind and sun did some damage yesterday. Probably lost half of the snowpack as of this morning. Tonights temps in the teens should freeze things solid... but you're right, by the end of the week it will probably be gone.

Outside of seeing a blizzard.... I've pretty much lost interest in this winter.

The wind and sun did some damage yesterday. Probably lost half of the snowpack as of this morning. Tonights temps in the teens should freeze things solid... but you're right, by the end of the week it will probably be gone.

Outside of seeing a blizzard.... I've pretty much lost interest in this winter.

I've lost interest too, earliest I can remember. I would not mind a repeat of last winter where winter abruptly ended at the end of February. But, if winter wants to send a March 08 style storm up this way, I won't complain.

With the lake open again, a late month arctic blast, could bring back the les.

I've lost interest too, earliest I can remember. I would not mind a repeat of last winter where winter abruptly ended at the end of February. But, if winter wants to send a March 08 style storm up this way, I won't complain.

With the lake open again, a late month arctic blast, could bring back the les.

I'm surprised the ice moved around on the lake that much... the central basin is virtually wide open. The winds have been strong the past 2 days. We could actually see some LES this weekend. 850's get down to around -14, but HP will be sliding in as well.

A Spring similar to last year would be great.

f/\ckin wxmen...lol

thought it was supposed to be 'nice' today. Upper 40's partly cloudy. Just got back in from working outside. Temps dropped into upper 30's from upper 40's. Windy, drizzly...miserable. I would seriously rather work outside with temps in the low 20's with calm winds and sunshine.

Today is a perfect example of why I loathe most of Feb and March. Either freeze us solid or torch us. Upper 30's/40's windy and damp, doesn't get worse than that. Hopefully we don't keep getting these surprise coldfronts and can make a solid grab for 60 later week.

f/\ckin wxmen...lol

thought it was supposed to be 'nice' today. Upper 40's partly cloudy. Just got back in from working outside. Temps dropped into upper 30's from upper 40's. Windy, drizzly...miserable. I would seriously rather work outside with temps in the low 20's with calm winds and sunshine.

Today is a perfect example of why I loathe most of Feb and March. Either freeze us solid or torch us. Upper 30's/40's windy and damp, doesn't get worse than that. Hopefully we don't keep getting these surprise coldfronts and can make a solid grab for 60 later week.

Get an office job :P

Seriously though, working outside when the weather like this is miserable. I'm with you... freeze or torch. The in-between just sucks.

f/\ckin wxmen...lol

Yeah just a cold nasty day with temperatures in the upper 30's. Yesterday was a nice treat with a high of 59! With that said I think we crack 60 down this way on Thursday and I am putting 67 on Friday. Then we get back into the 40's on Saturday and Sunday. What happens with that storm system for Monday-Tuesday is up for debate. Right now looks torchy with a threat of 60 again early next week. Severe weather threat could come along with that.... First week of March looks like we may get back in the game. Did you see where JB has pretty much declared winter over for those south of I 70? Aren't you right on I 70?

Get an office job :P

Seriously though, working outside when the weather like this is miserable. I'm with you... freeze or torch. The in-between just sucks.

well, i get to choose when and if i work outside since I'm my own boss. Last i heard today was supposed to be a decent day for it to get some things started. Apparently that changed, didn't know a coldfront was coming in.

btw, I'd still choose working outside on days like this everyday over working in a cubicle 9-5 for some idiot who controls when you get a raise, how long you take lunch, when you can go on vacation, take a day off.....well you know. I'm getting into OT stuff now.

back to the wx....:guitar:

Yeah just a cold nasty day with temperatures in the upper 30's. Yesterday was a nice treat with a high of 59! With that said I think we crack 60 down this way on Thursday and I am putting 67 on Friday. Then we get back into the 40's on Saturday and Sunday. What happens with that storm system for Monday-Tuesday is up for debate. Right now looks torchy with a threat of 60 again early next week. Severe weather threat could come along with that.... First week of March looks like we may get back in the game. Did you see where JB has pretty much declared winter over for those south of I 70? Aren't you right on I 70?

yes I saw that and I'm about 15 miles or so north of 1-70. At any rate, I think winter is probably over in terms of anymore 'long' stretches, (over 4 days), of sustained cold and or snow. Still think we get a late season wack up the side of our heads...probably mid March to early April.

well, i get to choose when and if i work outside since I'm my own boss. Last i heard today was supposed to be a decent day for it to get some things started. Apparently that changed, didn't know a coldfront was coming in.

btw, I'd still choose working outside on days like this everyday over working in a cubicle 9-5 for some idiot who controls when you get a raise, how long you take lunch, when you can go on vacation, take a day off.....well you know. I'm getting into OT stuff now.

back to the wx....:guitar:

Tell me about it. I have good friends that are landscape architects in this area. They have the perfect job. Outside/Inside whenever they want... and their own bosses.

I thought today was going to be nicer as well. 36 with the wind wipping, and rn/sn mix.

yes I saw that and I'm about 15 miles or so north of 1-70. At any rate, I think winter is probably over in terms of anymore 'long' stretches, (over 4 days), of sustained cold and or snow. Still think we get a late season wack up the side of our heads...probably mid March to early April.

I am pretty darn confident we will see some snow in early April. Nothing huge but its going to sucky spring across the Ohio Valley. Cool and wet! I agree with you that we get smacked one more time before we close the book on this winter.

Archived