Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Ohio And Surronding states...(WVA,KY,PA,IN,MI) Part 2

Steve

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes sense to keep the two discussions separate. ILN has put up WSW's for the southern part of their FA. Calling for 3-5 inches for my county. I'll take that and like it.

The 18z runs seem to be holding course. I'll still wait until tomorrow morning's run before locking it in, but it's looking good.

Makes sense to keep the two discussions separate. ILN has put up WSW's for the southern part of their FA. Calling for 3-5 inches for my county. I'll take that and like it.

The 18z runs seem to be holding course. I'll still wait until tomorrow morning's run before locking it in, but it's looking good.

No watch for Licking county yet..hmmm ..and i would gladly take 3-5 and run..lol

No watch for Licking county yet..hmmm ..and i would gladly take 3-5 and run..lol

that's not because they think there will be less in the northern counties, it's because the northern counties have a higher winterstorm warning criteria. At least that's what i got reading their AFD.

BTW....glad you went with the idea of separating ohio LES vs. synoptic. Nothing against our ohioan posters in the lake effect regions, it's just that it gets confusing discussing snowfalls when an event is coming that may have both a synoptic and lake effect aspect.

that's not because they think there will be less in the northern counties, it's because the northern counties have a higher winterstorm warning criteria. At least that's what i got reading their AFD.

BTW....glad you went with the idea of separating ohio LES vs. synoptic. Nothing against our ohioan posters in the lake effect regions, it's just that it gets confusing discussing snowfalls when an event is coming that may have both a synoptic and lake effect aspect.

Exactly..LES talk was taking over...Now we have a seperate thread!

The NWS in Cleveland is mentioning a widespread 4-6" of snow for northern Ohio Monday night/Tuesday, including Findlay. I am awaiting this as the first major snowfall of the season affects Ohio.

I am sure..or at least hope to be sure that we here in central ohio will fall into the 4-6 inch range..I think around here..1-3 should be warning criteria..the way people drive around here..lol :guitar:

The NWS in Cleveland is mentioning a widespread 4-6" of snow for northern Ohio Monday night/Tuesday, including Findlay. I am awaiting this as the first major snowfall of the season affects Ohio.

that's the other thing that makes ILN watch area a little confusing. If anything, I think the best snows will fall just north of their watch area.

I am sure..or at least hope to be sure that we here in central ohio will fall into the 4-6 inch range..I think around here..1-3 should be warning criteria..the way people drive around here..lol :guitar:

After that crap on 23 that I had to drive through last week with only an inch...I can only imagine how people will be driving around with close to 6".

After that crap on 23 that I had to drive through last week with only an inch...I can only imagine how people will be driving around with close to 6".

yea..lol. Those two evenings in a row last week where an inch of snow fell right at rush hour were a nightmare here in westerville. Sometimes i think those quick coatings to an inch can be worse than an all day 6"er, especially if they occur during rush hours.

yea..lol. Those two evenings in a row last week where an inch of snow fell right at rush hour were a nightmare here in westerville. Sometimes i think those quick coatings to an inch can be worse than an all day 6"er, especially if they occur during rush hours.

I may be wrong but it seemed to me that the brine that the city of columbus and ODOT put down before those events simply caused the initial snow to melt and refreeze creating a more treacherous layer of ice under the snow. It was wickedly slippery that first evening! Took me an hour and fifteen minutes to get from downtown to Bethel Road, normally a 20 minute drive.

Have to agree with Buckeye that the different WSW criteria across ILN's area is crazy confusing, would be very difficult for on air mets to try to convey reasoning as to why the Northern portions of the ILN cwa arn't under a winter storm watch when theoretically they could receive more snow than areas under the watch.

Have to agree with Buckeye that the different WSW criteria across ILN's area is crazy confusing, would be very difficult for on air mets to try to convey reasoning as to why the Northern portions of the ILN cwa arn't under a winter storm watch when theoretically they could receive more snow than areas under the watch.

Yeah, I don't get why they did that. Either make everyone the higher criteria or make everyone lower....

Made this after the 12z runs today and didn't get around to posting it...Similar thoughts still after 0z models.

1-11_snow_1.jpg

Sorry guys..I had to..We just want to talk snowstorms..Please feel free to use the first thread for LES talk!!:snowman:

Steve - Just so I understand... are you guys using this thread for Central OH weather only? LES is a common discussion amongst the people in the northern part of the state... especially when it is happening. Judging by the thread it was annoying you guys. Sorry about that... but it was the only weather happening and worthy of discussion.

I don't want clutter up your thread with discussion of weather that doesn't effect YBY... would it be best if the northern OH people just posted in your other thread?

Steve - Just so I understand... are you guys using this thread for Central OH weather only? LES is a common discussion amongst the people in the northern part of the state... especially when it is happening. Judging by the thread it was annoying you guys. Sorry about that... but it was the only weather happening and worthy of discussion.

I don't want clutter up your thread with discussion of weather that doesn't effect YBY... would it be best if the northern OH people just posted in your other thread?

I don't think it was so much annoying as it was confusing. People were posting thoughts on amounts about synoptic and LE at the same time, which became a little difficult to follow. I see no reason why you can't post as long as its of the synoptic variety.:)

Army's right...it's nothing to do with being annoying....it just got confusing. I think LES is a significant event that deserves it's own thread to discuss, that's what they've done for the IL,IN,MI posters, (made a separate lake effect thread), and it seemed to work out good. Even us folks down in the central and sw areas of ohio could find ourselves posting in the LES thread from time to time since it effects ua as well, allbeit to a much less extent.

Army's right...it's nothing to do with being annoying....it just got confusing. I think LES is a significant event that deserves it's own thread to discuss, that's what they've done for the IL,IN,MI posters, (made a separate lake effect thread), and it seemed to work out good. Even us folks down in the central and sw areas of ohio could find ourselves posting in the LES thread from time to time since it effects ua as well, allbeit to a much less extent.

Got it , Army + Buckeye. Appreciate the clarification. Seems it would be best to spin off different threads for LES events.

Nice write up from BUF on the long-term. These guys always have excellent disco's. Sounds cold and snowy after a brief warm-up.

ALSO OF NOTE...THE GEFS ENSEMBLE MEAN IS FORECASTING A SIGNIFICANT MJO EPISODE TO MOVE EAST ACROSS THE PACIFIC DURING THE MIDDLE OF THE MONTH. MEAN OLR ANOMALIES OVER THE PAST WEEK SHOW ENHANCED CONVECTION CONCENTRATING OVER TROPICAL SOUTHEAST ASIA. GEFS ENSEMBLE MEMBERS ARE ALL IN VERY GOOD AGREEMENT IN MOVING THIS AREA OF ENHANCED CONVECTION EAST ACROSS THE PACIFIC...WITH WHEELER PHASESPACE PLOTS BASED ON THE GEFS ENSEMBLES SHOWING A MODERATE TO STRONG MJO SIGNAL ORBITING INTO THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE AFTER ABOUT 20-JAN. IF THIS VERIFIES...THAT WOULD PUT US INTO PHASE 8 AND PHASE 1 OF THE MJO CYCLE FOR THE LAST 10 DAYS OR SO OF JANUARY...WITH COMPOSITE

ANALOGS SHOWING A STRONG CORRELATION TOWARDS BELOW AVERAGE TEMPERATURES AND ABOVE AVERAGE PRECIP IN THE GREAT LAKES WHEN IN THESE PHASES. THUS...IF THE MJO FORECAST VERIFIES WE MAY SEE A PERIOD OF WELL BELOW AVERAGE TEMPERATURES AND LAKE EFFECT SNOW FOR

THE LAST 10 DAYS OR SO OF JANUARY...ESPECIALLY GIVEN THE CONTINUANCE OF THE GREENLAND BLOCK. BEFORE THIS HAPPENS...THE MJO CYCLE ALSO SUPPORTS A BRIEF BUT POSSIBLY SIGNIFICANT WARM-UP AS WE PASS THROUGH PHASE 5 AND 6 IN A WEEK TO 10 DAYS. THIS HAS SOME SUPPORT WITH THE ECMWF AND GFS...ALTHOUGH THERE ARE MAJOR DIFFERENCES IN TIMING AND AMPLITUDE. STAY TUNED.

YNG is up to 61.2" on the year. A normal rest of the winter would produce another 31.5", which would give the 92.7" or 2nd most ever. The record is 102.8 inches from 2007-08. 2nd most is 90.2 inches from 2006-07 and 3rd most is 86.5" from 2008-09. Snowfall records date to 1934.

YNG is up to 61.2" on the year. A normal rest of the winter would produce another 31.5", which would give the 92.7" or 2nd most ever. The record is 102.8 inches from 2007-08. 2nd most is 90.2 inches from 2006-07 and 3rd most is 86.5" from 2008-09. Snowfall records date to 1934.

wow...so you guys had 3 record snow years in a row!??.... that's pretty wild lol.

Actually I came over here to check any obs, and I saw this post about the current YNG snow totals.

There has to be some error here, because even though all the numbers verify on the NWS CF6 summeries, these totals are so much more than anywhere else, it's almost funny to look at.

Looks like the heaviest snows are making a beeline for the 70 corridor. Hopefully the storm can intensify a little as it moves east for a change.

CLE still calling for 4-6 total... more with lake enhancement tomorrow. This will easily be our largest synoptic event of the year should everything pan out. Lot's of dry air to overcome still.

Looks like Cinci and now Dayton should be getting moderate snow. Any reports from down there? I've yet to see my first flurry.

-edit

I take it back, just starting to see flurries here now.

good to hear you got flurries and you're east of me....i actually saw the cloud deck lighten up enough for some sun to come thru the last hour. Was wondering if some sneaky dry air was gonna play spoiler.

Archived