• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Rolling E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV/Big Jim: Not During Storm OBS Discussion/Banter Thread

I think you should do fine in this storm.Many of the true weenie's ride the euro hard for some strange reason. They seem to take the recent run as the final outcome of this storm. The GFS has been doing well recently.

Average a track between the GFS and euro and should get decent snows

I think the GEFS is a reasonable compromise. Probably a little fast, but trackwise I think that it's prerty much the middle ground between the Euro/GGEM/UKMET/GFS.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how would the Euro be for us here in Collegeville? Asking here because can't post IMBY in the storm thread.

Matt,

My best guess is that we're not going to be 100% snow in SE PA. The only questions are how much and how long of a change over. Just my 2 cents.

If a blend of what the what the Euro/GFS shows at 12z today occurs Wed.-Thur., us in the Delaware Valley should have more snow on the ground by the end of the week, then we will at the start of the week...... in my opinion. I could see a period of rain or rain/snow mixed at the onset, but if this thing wraps up like the new Euro shows it should transition to snow as heavier precipation moves in and colder air is drawn into the region.

Still.......WAY to early to even assume any specific outcome will occur. I can't believe this storm is still 3 days away.

By the way, it is brutal outside with the wind. Temperature of 24 with a windchill 13.

Well... I had hoped at least to be able to nail the coffin closed on this storm being a KU for the cities. But, the GFS trended back east and the EC shows a nice wraparound band. Still don't think the chances are good... especially given some of the other modeling... but there still seems to be a small chance that this ends up as a KU. I still like the description I gave before though (sleet to rain to snow, minor to moderate accums).

just going by 850s, cause i dont have soundings and this storm is all dynamics...it would be a 4-8 snow event for phl and burbs

Assuming the EC is modeling the surface temps close to correct, ratios would suck... sub 10:1. That is also implied by the thicknesses being so high. I'm not ready to toss any numbers out...

Assuming the EC is modeling the surface temps close to correct, ratios would suck... sub 10:1. That is also implied by the thicknesses being so high. I'm not ready to toss any numbers out...

yea its going to be a pasting of snow. Some guy posted the euro soudings, and going off 850s phl has atleast .5 as snow assuming everything else just above the surface is below...ray isnt the euro have a little warm bias to?

yea its going to be a pasting of snow. Some guy posted the euro soudings, and going off 850s phl has atleast .5 as snow assuming everything else just above the surface is below...ray isnt the euro have a little warm bias to?

It has in the past. I don't think its temps have been too bad this winter, discounting CAD situations. With temps up through 850 running so warm, ratios aren't going to be great to begin with. All the models are showing very high thicknesses for an all-snow situation, so that's likely them picking up on the isothermal soundings up to at least 850 and the near to slightly above freezing surface temps. Getting significant accumulation will be totally due to high snowfall rates overcoming the warm BL. It'll be a heavy wet snow that sticks to everything. And like I mentioned, ratios will suck... sub 10:1 most likely.

I'm tired of tracking all these storms I'm not getting... I'm rooting for the GEM since its mainly rain ;) But right now I still like the my call from earlier... sleet to rain to snow, light to moderate accumulations. No numbers yet, I'm just not that crazy ;)

It has in the past. I don't think its temps have been too bad this winter, discounting CAD situations. With temps up through 850 running so warm, ratios aren't going to be great to begin with. All the models are showing very high thicknesses for an all-snow situation, so that's likely them picking up on the isothermal soundings up to at least 850 and the near to slightly above freezing surface temps. Getting significant accumulation will be totally due to high snowfall rates overcoming the warm BL. It'll be a heavy wet snow that sticks to everything. And like I mentioned, ratios will suck... sub 10:1 most likely.

I'm tired of tracking all these storms I'm not getting... I'm rooting for the GEM since its mainly rain ;) But right now I still like the my call from earlier... sleet to rain to snow, light to moderate accumulations. No numbers yet, I'm just not that crazy ;)

so the 6z nam isnt the number one model in your thoughts right now thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived