• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12Z Model Thread

12z GFS initialized with the low @ 1000 mb and east of obxx...

As of now it is actually @ 992 mb and just south of OBX.. FWIW

Great catch! I don't know how useful the models are at this point other than to track the warm up, and to look for the next 300+ hour threat. But thank you for posting the 12z stuff guys.

GFS always does that when the storm is underway

Meanwhile, its been snowing here since 9:30am and the roads are already snowcovered and snow is blowing and drifting. There was 0 virga, as soon as the radar started showing flakes, it started snowing.

Wouldn't take much of a Westward shift to get that tight QPF gradient to back through DCA/BWI and make the entire I-95 Megalopolis happy...

For those in NJ and pts. north and east, congrats, for the rest of us, read on...

No more wishcasting, please. The NAM sniffed out the trends by 0Z.

GFS as well but NAM has been quite reliable since 0Z

For anyone in the Mid-Atlantic still wishcasting, check out the deep moisture

convergence. This occurring out along the warm front associated with the storm and demonstrates where the action will trend.

Sounds like this was relatively well handled by the NWS by focusing on NYC and Boston, though not perfectly by any stretch of the imagination. We were way too fast beyond day 4, and a little too wet/little too snowy in the Mid-Atlantic as the event got close.

The models have been very consistent on putting the sweet spot in NYC metro and Boston. Someone may very well get over 2'

Sounds like this was relatively well handled by the NWS by focusing on NYC and Boston, though not perfectly by any stretch of the imagination. We were way too fast beyond day 4, and a little too wet/little too snowy in the Mid-Atlantic as the event got close.

Given the models changing wildly during the past 5 days, I have to agree. Looks underdone in SE Virginia, and maybe a little too slow to alert NYC, but overall considering, a decent grade. I will have to say that the 12z gfs from a couple of days ago that was thrown out-- that looks like a poor decision.

Throwing it out for the DC area was fine. Maybe not so fine for New England though. We'll see how much they get...then we can see how everything verifies. We finally started flurrying here at 1 pm...and the flurries continue. Despite this, it is not wet-bulbing, if anything the dewpoint continues to sink as the wind increases. For a time, you could see the solar disk (faintly) through the nimbostratus around 1:30 pm. A terrible sign for accumulating precipitation, regardless of type.

DR

Given the models changing wildly during the past 5 days, I have to agree. Looks underdone in SE Virginia, and maybe a little too slow to alert NYC, but overall considering, a decent grade. I will have to say that the 12z gfs from a couple of days ago that was thrown out-- that looks like a poor decision.

Archived