• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GaWx

In GA, new record high minimums will likely be set for April 2nd in Atlanta, Athens, Rome, Gainesville, Macon, and Valdosta among other locations. Among the official obs in GA, all lows as of this morning were 61-68. The warmest was at Peachtree City, which is often one of the cooler cities. 

In SC/NC Greenville, Charlotte, Asheville, Raleigh, and Fayetteville among others look to set new record high lows while Columbia looks to tie. If Asheville’s 63 holds, it would be the warmest low so early in the season.

• Like 1

• GaWx changed the title to April 2024 obs
  • buckeyefan1 pinned this topic

With 2.41” of rain in the past hour, Atlanta has broken the records for highest hourly rainfall in April (old record: 1.39”) and the Spring (old record: 2.36”). Daily rainfall of 2.50” through 12 am EDT surpassed the old mark for April 2 of 2.25” from 1975.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another beautiful day, this time with a bonus of a 70% partial solar eclipse. The peak was at 3:08PM. The temp dropped ~2 F from ~2:30PM to 3:15PM (~72 to ~70) under sunny skies with the drop helped by low RH (dewpoints in 40s). The sun didn’t feel nearly as hot as normal this time of year when sunny. The temp has since risen back.

Here’s a pic of what it looked like through my eclipse glasses at 3:12PM (I got lucky to be able to get this pic because I had my phone in one hand and my glasses, which I was able to point right at the sun, in another):

1591491913_Screenshot2024-04-08at4_31_47PM.jpeg.134be3ca355c459b997516e591f22eb2.jpeg

• Like 1

Picked up 0.04” last two days. Will be interesting to see if the area of subsidence over NC from the convection ongoing to the south busts todays rainfall forecast. What had looked like steady morning rains now look to hold off till afternoon. Definitely a volatile forecast 

dangerous tornado at Tampa

* Tornado Warning for...
  North central Hillsborough County in west central Florida...

* Until 115 PM EDT.

* At 1256 PM EDT, a confirmed waterspout was located just offshore
  Tampa International Airport, or near Tampa, moving northeast at 35
  mph.

0.01" so far, some branches down in the yard from the wind earlier. Could use a good downpour to clean up the pollen, not seeing any precip in the forecast for some time.

As for the eclipse, went from 77 to 72 and breezy. Very noticeable!

3 hours ago, gtg947h said:

We stole all your rain... our gauge said 4.36 when it was all said and done.  And the back yard is flooded...

Similar here though I think I got ~1” less than you. Very windy late today and still breezy tonight. The heavy rain was more beneficial than not from my perspective though obviously the flooding wasn’t desirable and a good portion of it likely ran off. I’m thinking ahead to the prospects for drought potential with the high likelihood for an upcoming La Niña.

Rain total from yesterday's storm stayed at .01"

Fantastic morning to have the windows open if you can handle a little dust and pollen, low of 58 at 7:30am. Might see the first 90+ of the season next week.

Just like yesterday, the winds are gusting to over 40 at the Masters! A few balls are being blown on the greens after stopping. Sand blowing from the traps looks like mini-sandstorms!

A surprise line of severe storms popped up last right at sunset. Strong gusty winds hit from the outflow but the worst of the storm missed us. We did manage to pick up .15" from and a big temp drop from the low 70's to the upper 50's. Bottomed out this morning at 49. Currently just after 1 pm it is a very pleasant 68/40.