• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Spring 2024

17 hours ago, TimB said:

We’re on track for the 3/1 to 3/7 period to be our warmest first week of March ever.

Today’s mean will likely come in around 54 or 55, tomorrow’s around 50 or 51 so this shouldn’t move much.

1660AFA3-7B40-4E54-BEBF-35D465EEBC39.jpeg.15c3f73f2f6b5e64a607558dd960369c.jpeg

God damnit, we’re going to get screwed out of our warmest first week of March ever because of these damn low clouds keeping us from getting into the upper 50s.

1 hour ago, TimB said:

God damnit, we’re going to get screwed out of our warmest first week of March ever because of these damn low clouds keeping us from getting into the upper 50s.

Don't worry. I am sure there will be plenty more record warmth to come. Even I've grown tired of the constant record warmth and taken a bit of a break despite that fact that various records continue to be approached or broken all over the place.

On 3/7/2024 at 2:13 PM, TimB said:

The record will be irrelevant as there’s no chance we’ll have the warmest March anyway.  2012 will stand for a long time.

I technically have this for tomorrow which is one of the more aggressively worded headlines all winter. I have to think though this is more intended for the northern half of the Butler County.

Can’t see this being too great in Cranberry, but I wouldn’t mind some nice squalls. 

IMG_0019.png

7 hours ago, Burghblizz said:

I technically have this for tomorrow which is one of the more aggressively worded headlines all winter. I have to think though this is more intended for the northern half of the Butler County.

Can’t see this being too great in Cranberry, but I wouldn’t mind some nice squalls. 

IMG_0019.png

Same here. Doubt we see 2-4” in Evans city. Mostly 422/I-80 north most likely. Holding out hope for a few nice bands.

Maybe a surprise tomorrow. I want a good freeze for a few days before spring just to kill some of these bugs. I'm seeing tons of bugs in my house already. It's too early to be seeing stink bugs and those annoying Japanese Beatles. 

SNOW SQUALL WARNING
NWS PITTSBURGH PA
1102 AM EDT SUN MAR 10 2024

PAC003-125-129-101530-
/O.CON.KPBZ.SQ.W.0008.000000T0000Z-240310T1530Z/
1102 AM EDT SUN MAR 10 2024
Allegheny County-Washington County-Westmoreland County-

...A SNOW SQUALL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1130 AM EDT FOR
NORTHERN WASHINGTON...CENTRAL ALLEGHENY AND WEST CENTRAL WESTMORELAND
COUNTIES...

At 1102 AM EDT, a dangerous snow squall was located along a line
extending from near Avella to near Delmont, moving east at 35 mph.

HAZARD...Intense bursts of heavy snow. Gusty winds leading to
blowing snow and rapidly falling visibility. Wind gusts up
to 35 mph.

SOURCE...Radar and webcams.

IMPACT...Travel will become difficult and potentially dangerous
within minutes.

1 minute ago, TheClimateChanger said:

A little stat padding spring snow that will melt in between each snowy interval.

What do we need, 0.9” to get past 1973-74 to avoid the modern era record?

16 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Fun day tracking squalls. Got hit several times, drove through a near whiteout around 430.

Moderate snow again now, winds ripping aswell.  Now that its dark starting to get some accumulation even on the road. Maybe close to half an inch since sunset. 

My thoughts exactly. Sometimes these days are like tracking thunderstorms in the summer. 

0.4” at the official observing site still keeps us 0.4” short of 1973-74. Below are the current standings for the 10 worst winters in the 75 or so years that obs have been taken at (near?) the airport.

F8D3DA5B-95FD-4914-AD15-C0D9E8B599EE.jpeg.7b43aa2c29139acfcc4285c4716a57cc.jpeg

I still think we can squeeze out a half inch during the upcoming cold period and avoid setting that record, but it seems it’d be a tall order to get out of the bottom 5, three of which have occurred in the past 5 winters.

1 hour ago, PghPirates27 said:

Have the last 5 springs and summers been near the warmest on record?

Well, July 2020 was the warmest July and second warmest month ever recorded at the airport, only behind August 1995.

8 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

It may go down historically as the worst winter ever but parts of the Burgh did better than the reporting station. 

Ironically, probably 5 miles south of there got another 7-8”.  (Which isn’t a ton, but for this year it will be decent % of the total)