• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024 mid/ long range

The 12z CMC has a strong Miller B solution for the MA and another lower latitude system after that.  I wasn’t sold on that timeframe earlier...but the potential is there for sure.  The 12z gfs went OTS, but if I showed its solution with a powerful slp over Louisiana...might make one think twice.  

• Like 2

And the CMC is...something. Takes the Gulf low due north to Nashville then transfers to Asheville then finally goes to the coast with another low popping off the coast of GA at the end. Sort of crazy look all over the place. 

EDIT: to be clear, this about the storm potential on the 5th. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

And the CMC is...something. takes the Gulf low due north to Nashville then transfers to Asheville then finally goes to the coast with another low popping off the coast of GA at the end. Sort of crazy look all over the place. 

Textbook Miller B, Mid Atlantic track.   Energy goes through middle TN and then hands off to the Piedmont.  Not good for us, but certainly that is a big storm signal for them and maybe NC.

• Like 3

12z Gefs and Geps....

MSLP and individual surface low placement maps (where all lows are on one map), show a trend towards a deeper low with more members to the north and west of the mean placement.   Plenty of time for this to get bigger.   Classic Nino, low road track.   The Canadian ensemble has some big dog tracks.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Textbook Miller B, Mid Atlantic track.   Energy goes through middle TN and then hands off to the Piedmont.  Not good for us, but certainly that is a big storm signal for them and maybe NC.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I seem to remember this happening a few years ago. I was thinking "there is no way that low travels due north"...and it very well did! lol 

Wasn't there another one last year (maybe the year before) where the low travelled straight into the mountains? 

Regardless, I don't like energy transfers. Hope it stays a simple Gulf low for all of us. 

• Like 3

I would say roughly 40% of ensembles from both the GEFS and GEPS have a big winter storm for the SE and/or MA.  That is a pretty stout signal at this range.  I think for the TN Valley, this is a tougher sell at this point.  I would be fired up in the MA.  E TN and NE TN(especially) are in the game...Gefs seemed to have more TN storms.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silas Lang said:

Yeah, now that you mention it, I seem to remember this happening a few years ago. I was thinking "there is no way that low travels due north"...and it very well did! lol 

Wasn't there another one last year (maybe the year before) where the low travelled straight into the mountains? 

Regardless, I don't like energy transfers. Hope it stays a simple Gulf low for all of us. 

Sneaky big storm at this range right now.  Boone was on this from day one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel like the 12z GEFS does not support the operational run.  I would say half probably have a decent snowstorm somewhere in the SE....there are some progressive OTS members for sure.  However, the GEFS has more amped solutions than even the GEPS.  Not in a place where I can post...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John1122 said:

I just saw some verification scores, and what should be much to it's embarrassment, the GFS at 500 has been scoring worse than even the JMA. 

I know it’s been shared before but can you remind some of us where we can find these verification scores? I think it would be a fascinating study to analyze model scores by the six ENSO patterns. 

• Like 1

And I should add that long pauses in winter are customary in the valleys.  We don't do wall-to-wall winters very often as that is an extreme anomaly which doesn't occur but maybe every 15-20 years at best.  Having February look that decent is a massive bonus and that is a textbook Nino look.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 12z GEPS now looks like the EPS ext from yesterday....The GEPS gets there about 24 hours quicker.  Either way, this is what we mean when we begin to see Weeklies and global ensembles in sync.  Pretty good agreement between two different models.

Screen_Shot_2024-01-28_at_2.53.04_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2024-01-28_at_2.56.04_PM.png

This would be similar to what the GFS is showing with a warm up in East Asia which should possibly be into the 2nd week of Feb, for us then the heights fall

e31eb249-bd32-465c-837d-01a2872870de.gif

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 12z GEPS now looks like the EPS ext from yesterday....The GEPS gets there about 24 hours quicker.  Either way, this is what we mean when we begin to see Weeklies and global ensembles in sync.  Pretty good agreement between two different models.

Screen_Shot_2024-01-28_at_2.53.04_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2024-01-28_at_2.56.04_PM.png

Certainly as of today someone could get a winter storm towards the mid month of Feb in our parts if the teles work in our favor

402c01eb-da10-4372-99bc-3cfcf3ead404.gif

• Like 4

Aa far as believing, not that I do but, no different than believing 70 degrees that far out or posting something regarding a mild rainstorm. Are you criticising any of that ? As far as DT, I'm not a fan of him personally ( attitude problem) but, he is still overall a good Meteorologist. 

Yep…
Some people: 220 hours out and 70 degrees = *cancel winter*

Same people: 220 hours out and snow = *no way that’s happening*.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PowellVolz said:

Yep…
Some people: 220 hours out and 70 degrees = *cancel winter*

Same people: 220 hours out and snow = *no way that’s happening*.

I was not at all downing DT.  He is a good forecaster but just like in this forum. We are told to take it with any LR with a grain of salt.  DT makes it sound like it’s a done deal.  Which he does a lot of his forecasting to get clicks & make $.  Just like Bastardi. I don’t ever go with any LR forecasting on temps or precip.  Chances are it will always be closer to averages for both. 

• Like 2

I was not at all downing DT.  He is a good forecaster but just like in this forum. We are told to take it with any LR with a grain of salt.  DT makes it sound like it’s a done deal.  Which he does a lot of his forecasting to get clicks & make $.  Just like Bastardi. I don’t ever go with any LR forecasting on temps or precip.  Chances are it will always be closer to averages for both. 

I wasn’t pointing that at you but reading it again I see why you might have thought that. Sorry

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic