• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s pretty incredible to have only 2 days of the month exceed 40F… but yet be at +8.1 for a departure.  We’ve had snow cover basically the whole time it feels like, like the type of snow that makes you want to follow the previous footsteps.  But +8 is a big departure.  

Definitely an anomaly 

For a while I thought the global warming hype was really altering the headlines to a great degree that made me question the warming in general ,  it’s pretty clear that doing big warm anomalies isn’t really surprising now at all , it seems pretty common place , especially in the Colder months . Granted it maybe Easier to put up big positive departures in winter but they are still eye opening to me . I don’t want to overstate This , but it is “significant”

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I said that there wasn't "exotic" warmth near the coast of SNE. Enough with the spinning BS. Tough to justify getting more then 5PPD when you waste them on this sophomoric shit.

Don't know the history of that guy or what his deal is, but everything you've said regarding January interior snow and warmth, at least at my location, is right on target.

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s pretty incredible to have only 2 days of the month exceed 40F… but yet be at +8.1 for a departure.  We’ve had snow cover basically the whole time it feels like, like the type of snow that makes you want to follow the previous footsteps.  But +8 is a big departure.  

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Definitely an anomaly 

For a while I thought the global warming hype was really altering the headlines to a great degree that made me question the warming in general ,  it’s pretty clear that doing big warm anomalies isn’t really surprising now at all , it seems pretty common place , especially in the Colder months . Granted it maybe Easier to put up big positive departures in winter but they are still eye opening to me . I don’t want to overstate This , but it is “significant”

GW is definitely real and anthropogenic to some degree, but the thing is the majority of it manifests nocturnaly during the cold season. Yes, it is absolutely causing more frequent positive departures during the day, but it's often resulting in situations in which we register large mean monthly anomalies despite a relative to dearth of really warm daytime hours. January 2021 was another great example. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Don't know the history of that guy or what his deal is, but everything you've said regarding January interior snow and warmth, at least at my location, is right on target.

It was definitely a little warmer than I expected, but not like December...and otherwise the month largely evolved as anticipated. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It was definitely a little warmer than I expected, but not like December...and otherwise the month largely evolved as anticipated. 

Daytime high temperatures seemed to have been about average where I'm at, it's just we had so many precipitation events and cloud cover that it seemed like I never had a night here where I was able to radiate, and I live in a valley that can radiate well. The past ten days my low temperatures were barely lower than my daytime highs. To me it kind of parallels a lot of this past summer, where daytime highs weren't anything to speak of, but heat records were broken because nighttime lows were so high. Just so much moisture last year, and the theme seems to be continuing. 

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

GW is definitely real and anthropogenic to some degree, but the thing is the majority of it manifests nocturnaly during the cold season. Yes, it is absolutely causing more frequent positive departures during the day, but it's often resulting in situations in which we register large mean monthly anomalies despite a relative to dearth of really warm daytime hours. January 2021 was another great example. 

It definitely affects the minimums more.  Which begs the question of its importance to snowfall.  If 30/17 is +8, does it really matter if the mean is below freezing and snow is on the ground?

If overnight temps are 10-15 degrees above normal but daytimes are chilly, do we even experience it as a public that moves about during daylight hours?  The public perception is definitely mitigated by daytime temps.

1 minute ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Daytime high temperatures seemed to have been about average where I'm at, it's just we had so many precipitation events and cloud cover that it seemed like I never had a night here where I was able to radiate, and I live in a valley that can radiate well. The past ten days my low temperatures were barely lower than my daytime highs. To me it kind of parallels a lot of this past summer, where daytime highs weren't anything to speak of, but heat records were broken because nighttime lows were so high. Just so much moisture last year, and the theme seems to be continuing. 

Yes, by far the largest impact of GW is the ability radiate during winter nights. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It definitely affects the minimums more.  Which begs the question of its importance to snowfall.  If 30/17 is +8, does it really matter if the mean is below freezing and snow is on the ground?

If overnight temps are 10-15 degrees above normal but daytimes are chilly, do we even experience it as a public that moves about during daylight hours?  The public perception is definitely mitigated by daytime temps.

Unfortunately Flora and fauna don't care about perception. It's very real.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It still definitely matters with oceans warming and all, but not as much as one may think. 

37 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Definitely an anomaly 

And not to be holier than thou sounding … Which, admittedly, this may come across like that but I am quite serious: for those of us who are very sensitive to differentiation because we’ve been so passionately involved in weather and climate since we first garnered memories on and of this planet… this stuff was becoming apparent in the early 2000s … It’s just that now the examples are becoming too gross to ignore.  

I think that what’s catching people offguard is what nobody expected and that is that we are getting these spike events. Like what happened pan-planet over the last year, when the oceans up and soared … everywhere. All latitudes by a full degree Celsius. Then we shattered every monthly air temperature - it was like a heat flash on a planetary scale. Well, guess what the ocean haven’t cooled off… in fact rose further snd just set another record. 

I mean we’re like sitting in a frying pan trying to convince ourselves it’s not hot I mean how fucking dumb and retarded this has become. Pan of frogs

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I get the actual final F departures when those maps are ready...the seasonal forecast isn't graded until May.  

Worcester was nearly five above, Hartford over four, Boston over three. Where were the cool spots?

15 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Unfortunately Flora and fauna don't care about perception. It's very real.

I agree with this. I think the mean temperatures in a given season affects larger environmental systems than our personal opinion of that season.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

We just went +8.1F locally at MVL in January… Saint Johnsbury (1V4) with a period of record to 1800s was also +8.1F.

SLK at +7.2F… BTV +6.1 (less reliant on mins).

It turned into a +6 to +8 above normal January here.  Thats pretty high-end to have temps of 30.2/17.4 for a mean up here.

That’s extremely difficult to get +5 out of any month frankly. I mean it’s easier to do it in winter like we’ve been discussing duh but I’m still impressed with that whenever it exceeds five.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

And not to be holier than thou sounding … Which, admittedly, this may across like that but I am quite serious: for those of us who are very sensitive to differentiation because we’ve been so passionately involved in weather and climate since we first garnered memories on and of this planet… this stuff was becoming apparent in the early 2000s … It’s just that now the examples are becoming too gross to ignore.  

I think that what’s catching people offguard is what nobody expected and that is that we are getting these spike events. Like what happened pan-planet over the last year, when the oceans up and soared … everywhere. All latitudes by a full degree Celsius. Then we shattered every monthly air temperature - it was like a heat flash on a planetary scale. Well, guess what the ocean haven’t cooled off… in fact rose further snd just set another record. 

I mean we’re like sitting in a frying pan trying to convince ourselves it’s not hot I mean how fucking dumb and retarded this has become. Pan of frogs

I think we're just going to let this get so bad that we're forced to start large scale climate engineering and that's when the real clown show starts. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I went a little warmer than this composite implies...I have been trying to do that more because the composite maps of old analogs just aren't representative anymore.

Oh okay, so it's not from actual data readings. That's what threw me. Everybody seems way above.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Worcester always runs warm...it's been a long standing issue. That said, did I say here were cool spots?

No you didn't. I just figured with all the high readings there must have been some cold ones to lower the New England average.

• Like 1

Just now, kdxken said:

Oh okay, so it's not from actual data readings. That's what threw me. Everybody seems way above.

I just approximate based on that map I posted, which isn't the complete month, anyway....but like I said, the final assessment is done in May, when the dust is settled and I have access to all of the maps, etc. 

3 minutes ago, kdxken said:

No you didn't. I just figured with all the high readings there must have been some cold ones to lower the New England average.

So, maybe it's more like +2 to +4 instead of +1 to +3? I use the maps on this site and the complete monthly in degrees F will be out in about a week...but I check it all in May.

https://psl.noaa.gov/data/getpage/

• Like 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

What is the best site to use for the up to date numerical departures? I never even look at those...I just go by the maps, so if I am off on that, it was not intentional....again, it's all checked in the spring.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/climate?wfo=box

Change the code at the end to BTV, OKX, etc depending on the geography you're looking for..

• Like 1