• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Did Someone Say Clipper(Hybrid)!?! 1/18-1/19

Frog Town

This was HRRR sounding with the max CAPE for Lake Michigan today. This is significant, for wintertime, sfc-700mb CAPE. In the old days, it was difficult to get the NAM soundings to show this realistically. Hmm the values displayed on here are 53 J/kg  for 3CAPE but 163 J/kg for MUCAPE, so that doesn't really match up. I don't really know how that happened.

HRRR2.jpg

Just got in to the Chicago suburbs. Took the Toll Road in and hoo boy was that a slow go through LaPorte County. Even though I was focused on the road and it’s night, I can tell you it was the most snow I’ve ever seen on the ground. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Got another 2.3" yesterday. Have now seen 14.0" in January. Really enjoying this stretch of deep winter, since I know they don't last in strong ninos. So pretty outside!

FB_IMG_1705760831106.jpg

FB_IMG_1705760782316.jpg

FB_IMG_1705762004144.jpg

FB_IMG_1705760918099.jpg

Was that mostly LES?

12 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Streets were pretty empty when we first got there. Whiteout conditions for the drive in

8 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

I think he means how isolated or widespread was the deeper snow you photographed.

Bo knows me lol. I did not pay much attention to that band as we had back to back days with snow here (2.8 + 2.3) plus I worked. I knew the models were cranking out a lot of Lake effect. But I did not pay attention to the results. was wondering how widespread those 30-inch plus totals were.

6 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Bo knows me lol. I did not pay much attention to that band as we had back to back days with snow here (2.8 + 2.3) plus I worked. I knew the models were cranking out a lot of Lake effect. But I did not pay attention to the results. was wondering how widespread those 30-inch plus totals were.

Mostly in northern Laporte. Once we crossed into Porter county amounts quickly dropped to ~6”

• Like 1

Mostly in northern Laporte. Once we crossed into Porter county amounts quickly dropped to ~6”
We did get an all in storm total of 16" in Chesterton. It appears the heaviest last night was far enough west of the county line that there's a relative gap just west of where you are. Out of curiosity, if you drive through there, interested if it's around a foot in the Town of Pines/Beverly Shores area.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

We did get an all in storm total of 16" in Chesterton. It appears the heaviest last night was far enough west of the county line that there's a relative gap just west of where you are. Out of curiosity, if you drive through there, interested if it's around a foot in the Town of Pines/Beverly Shores area.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Back in Chicago now unfortunately. There looked to be 8-12” in Pines area when we drove back on Route 20.

Props to the town of Michigan City for getting roads passable. A storm like this when growing up in northern New Jersey would have shut everything down for 48 hours

• Like 2