• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Texas 2024 Discussion/Observations

Was watching the front edge of the convective line from the west about to get into Houston on ABC13 tower cam live stream a short while ago.

https://youtu.be/z-VVLWWvAEU

It was already very cloudy ahead of it, and then it literally got DARK in just a matter of minutes when it came in. Saw a few power flashes also. I’m almost sure it was straight line winds seeing how it looked on this tower cam that faces southwest - west.

13D8E923-E95A-4159-A89E-27B4FBBAA63D.thumb.jpeg.5dbea9f8814f841ecf7932fa31d54a3c.jpeg

2E926B3E-3136-49DF-B95B-32BF1BBF92F9.thumb.jpeg.a68c902e8995a1cff000c2cced10fce5.jpeg

F8735205-CDC5-488C-8206-C9E999F9621A.thumb.jpeg.880aafec8c34ed8c624d53386bcbf92d.jpeg

AAF68AFD-230A-4765-B94C-9EDE8558C565.thumb.jpeg.9748bdaac9120f6aef718af2cf147efd.jpeg

7296D4D5-6992-4CE9-8713-BE59AB769F73.thumb.jpeg.054bd55b4be7d74af9a6ce6fb89d76a6.jpeg

- Crazy how it went to that scene after how it looked at 8:40 am today on Houston uptown Earthcam.

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/texas/houston/?cam=houston

2C41E6B2-6524-42CC-8AFC-1D03B4C901BB.thumb.jpeg.0aeb6f0e493df6b6bf05ea4843f4778d.jpeg

Tornado Warning
TXC071-291-170045-
/O.NEW.KHGX.TO.W.0035.240517T0021Z-240517T0045Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
721 PM CDT Thu May 16 2024

The National Weather Service in League City has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Northeastern Chambers County in southeastern Texas...
  Southeastern Liberty County in southeastern Texas...

* Until 745 PM CDT.

* At 721 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
  was located over Anahuac, or 9 miles east of Beach City, moving
  northeast at 40 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
           shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.
           Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree
           damage is likely.

* This dangerous storm will be near...
  Anahuac around 725 PM CDT.

Other locations impacted by this tornadic thunderstorm include
Hankamer.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a basement or an interior room on the lowest
floor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a
mobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter
and protect yourself from flying debris.

&&

LAT...LON 2972 9473 2977 9476 2993 9455 2977 9442
TIME...MOT...LOC 0021Z 245DEG 37KT 2976 9470

TORNADO...RADAR INDICATED
MAX HAIL SIZE...<.75 IN

$$

Cady

4 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:

I've been watching webcams, very familiar with SE texas.  Big hit, many webcams down and that's rare.  Looked wild.

The ABC13 tower cam in Houston survived the convective wind onslaught from what I was seeing on the YouTube livestream just a short time ago now that the line has moved off.

The live rail cams (with audio) like this one seem to have gone out as it’s still just replaying the stream when the thunder line was moving through the metro: 

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Uqq-1HPjJ2o

I thought it was my connection though. But power went out for those railroad cameras in the city from what I’m seeing in the live chat.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, canderson said:

My family from Pearland to the woodlands is without power 

We're lucky,  The CenterPoint grid is not robust in our neighborhood, but we have power.  Light flickered while the storm was still well W of here, with near calm winds.  I'm guessing the transmission towers out by Cypress going down.  Then again when the line hit.  But they came on before the rain was even over.  Before the second round of severe t-storm winds (not as strong as the first, but impressive) that surprised me because it had almost stopped raining.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cheese007 said:

Windows blown out downtown

It’s MLB season. The Astros were just playing as scheduled tonight at Minute Maid ballpark, and it looks like they’re gonna win also which is a nice finish to today’s powerful convective action in Houston.

Nothing severe there lol

8 hours ago, Chinook said:

This is measured by downtown-- 62 knots ( Houston Dunn Helistop airport?)

62 kts seems on spot around Houston as most people can definitely lose power at those sudden gust speeds (at least around this part of the country).

But the TDS signature on radar and the broken windows on those 2 downtown skyscrapers that @cheese007 posted about suggests there may have been a very brief spinup right around there as the thunder line was moving in (on the leading edge).

• Like 1

This is me being pedantic of course, but it should go without saying the extremely saturated ground from excessive rainfall this Spring (this has been one of the rainiest starts to the year in Houston's history) definitely made the extent of the damage worse than it might have been with all of the large trees and power lines that were easily uprooted.

54 minutes ago, Powerball said:

This is me being pedantic of course, but it should go without saying the extremely saturated ground from excessive rainfall this Spring (this has been one of the rainiest starts to the year in Houston's history) definitely made the extent of the damage worse than it might have been with all of the large trees and power lines that were easily uprooted.

85-110 mph winds would uproot trees regardless of saturation 

My palm survived.  NWS reporting just one tornado, near Cypress, preliminary EF-1.  Cypress is where the big transmission lines (the reason 600,000 in the county are still in the dark are), I would have though EF-2 damage to take down transmission towers.

https://x.com/TexasMoran/status/1791588419132617007

TransmissionTowers.jpg

On 5/17/2024 at 6:16 PM, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Rain is ~10 miles away, near downtown by radar, but was outside, bright CG lightning, less than 3 miles away judging by the thunder.

Got my share of a very decent thunder show & rainfall down here through daytime morning hours Friday (yesterday). Had one severe warned mini cluster (provided some good convective blowoff shield lightning strikes during the couple of hours prior), near me around noonday from the southwest that had literally no CGs around when was it was about to come over, then BAM! (almost literally)

Had a feeling that was gonna happen. Was pretty bright, inside. Even though didn’t really get dark outside right ahead of the cluster. Nowhere as crazy dark outside as what happened in Houston on thursday. Rain rates in the cluster here were definitely over 3”/hr. Definitely an inch total yesterday.

Power went out for about 3 seconds. Saw it was a fairly powerful negative CG on lightning analysis (150 kiloamps).

- - -

That looks to be about it convective and/or MCS wise for the state till Thursday (upcoming week). And possibly again by Memorial Day (seeing a solid “higher” probability signal area again in NTX).

Not seeing a strong signal for continued sig flooding potential in ETX & especially closer to Houston area.

With all the dry, very warm/hot days ahead into the upcoming week on GFS/Euro, ETX should be able to dry out fairly well. Flood-producing MCS activity later next week doesn’t seem likely either unless there’s a growing signal on models in coming days for things to really pick up again Memorial Day weekend into final week of May. Which is fairly possible as the furnace ML High doesn’t look like it’s going to hold really strong over the state as I see latest GFS runs have backed off on 500mb heights some for coming week.

Both GFS & Euro holding mainly steady around 590dm @ H5 in STX all week. Which isn’t too bad around here by this time of year.

9D0D922A-6CF6-42E9-A5C9-879074D56FB8.thumb.png.bfb688829f195bbd466c315cd6615b43.png

75AE6558-8168-4606-B6EB-B30752E6164C.thumb.png.d78e2a27a2f3a8b50e9797371c2dbaf2.png

From about US 84 and S, it looks to get rather dry and quite warm.  I think this is the beginning of summer in STX and the next real chance of significant rain is August, more likely September.  Not sure the STR ever gets far enough N that we'll see inverted troughs breaking off from the jet and coming back W under the ridge.  Land of pure speculation, next best chance for significant weather is probably in September when the STR breaks down enough for the return of rain producing fronts (not the weak wind shifts with small dewpoint drop that can make it here even mid-summer, but don't produce sensible weather because of high heights and subsidence.

Good news, for customers whose 'weatherheads' (pipe that carries electric down to the house and external breaker box) aren't damaged, CenterPoint thinks most customers will have electricity by Wednesday.  Which will be a good thing considering the heat.  Low 90sF all week with dews above 70F.

OTOH, in NTX, DFW is already in a 15% risk for severe storms on Thursday.  They have probably 2 more weeks of spring before the high heights shut down spring.

eps_z500aNorm_us_61.png

FWIW, despite all of the precipitation, DFW is still on track for a top 10 warmest Spring on record. To-date, the temperature departure is 68.6*F, which as a matter of fact, ties with 2022...

With respect to total rainfall at DFW, Spring 2024 isn't even close to cracking the top 10 wettest list (*ONLY* 15.85" to-date)...

1 hour ago, Chinook said:

Maybe some of your friends got this large hail

hail reports texas.jpg

I don’t see any actual large hail there (2+ diameter), except maybe that icon that’s blocked out on the left side of the warning outline box.