• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2024

16 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

it's wild how bad 2015-16 was up your way, we had over 40" (and two moderate events besides the historic blizzard.)

funny thing is I did a quick count of +/- and unless my count is wrong you have 9 seasons above normal and 9 seasons below normal (I didn't take into account the amount of deviation though.)

15 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I didn't realize you got shafted that bad in 2016. That year really stands out 

Yeah, that year blew chunks. I measured .4 for the big blizzard... Another reason it sucked, I figured lets go big and have a season snowfall in the single digits but I measured 2.3" in early April which got me into double digits.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

The January 2015 blizzard was also a fail IMBY but I did manage 2.7" out of that one but managed a decent winter overall.

We had almost 70" in both 13-14 and 14-15, which is right in line with your experience.  Then 2016 was more than just the one late January blizzard here.  Seems like it's the lame winters that cement your better averages, although this is about as small a sample size as one can conjur up.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

We had almost 70" in both 13-14 and 14-15, which is right in line with your experience.  Then 2016 was more than just the one late January blizzard here.  Seems like it's the lame winters that cement your better averages, although this is about as small a sample size as one can conjur up.

Yep, February was quite snowy in 2016.  The time around the superbowl especially.

5 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Agreed on the sample size. Four or so years ago my measured average was around 5" higher than what the NWS had for KMGJ but the last few years have changed that, now it's down to about an inch difference between the NWS and my records. 

I wish my brain was wired differently and I did nerdy stuff like keep records, or at least informal notes, about stuff like you guys keep weather records. You'd think it would've come to me to do things like that, since I was a kid I used to like reading Thomas Jefferson and others weather accounts from back then but my lazy brain never told me to do it. The other thing that totally gets me is I didn't do more to clear the yard for better light and plant fruit trees when I moved to this property in 1996. Man I'd love to have a mixed assortment now especially considering how expensive good produce has gotten. The hindsight that comes with age is both entertaining and frustrating at the same time as the 'coulda shoulda woulda' thing gets into your head. I think they call it wisdom but I hesitate to attribute that word to me :grad: I bet that @rclab has some insight ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I wish my brain was wired differently and I did nerdy stuff like keep records, or at least informal notes, about stuff like you guys keep weather records. You'd think it would've come to me to do things like that, since I was a kid I used to like reading Thomas Jefferson and others weather accounts from back then but my lazy brain never told me to do it. The other thing that totally gets me is I didn't do more to clear the yard for better light and plant fruit trees when I moved to this property in 1996. Man I'd love to have a mixed assortment now especially considering how expensive good produce has gotten. The hindsight that comes with age is both entertaining and frustrating at the same time as the 'coulda shoulda woulda' thing gets into your head. I think they call it wisdom but I hesitate to attribute that word to me :grad: I bet that @rclab has some insight ;) 

… gravity your post words ‘are’ wisdom. Unlike those on Mona Lisa’s doorstep, the fact that you can vocalize your dreams actually means they’re not dead. My 18/22 foot postage stamp will always be dear to me. The soil in its 150 year existence is less than ideal. I still, in a boxed raised bed and clay pots filled with fresh soil, attempt vegetable plantings. Even so with Mother Oak taking over in the warm season, full sun is restricted to a limited number of hours, preventing any sort of bumper crop. What ever does ripen, I treasure …. Of course unless I’m vigilant my furry tailed tree rodents harvest before I do. The postage stamp is also a final resting place for beloved small companions. The photos below show the latest loses, my feline, Honey and my daughters canine Stan. The birds are also a blessing to watch. I furnish them with seed for the feeders and suet for the small cage holders. I often wish that someday, standing very still, after replenishing the feeders, a sparrow will land even briefly on my shoulder. Such are the dreams of the aged. Please be well gravity and know your land, of almost thirty years, is now a part of you and loved by you. As always …

IMG_0322.jpeg

IMG_0335.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Doing some virtual snow chasing later this week, the forecast discussions coming from out west are entertaining, heres NWS Reno this morning:

Thursday-Sunday | Major Winter Storm, Blizzard Conditions
Possible:

* The message remains consistent--a storm that`s impressive even
  by Sierra standards will arrive Thursday morning, with strong
  and potentially damaging winds along with increasing intensity
  of mountain snow during the day. For lower elevations, valley
  rain and a rain/snow mix for foothill locations is projected to
  begin Thursday night and continue through Friday. By late Friday
  night, a blast of cold air will lower snow levels to all valley
  floors, with periods of snow Saturday through Saturday night.
  Some of the guidance even holds on to snow continuing through
  Sunday night, which would lead to even greater snow amounts than
  indicated in our current Winter Storm Watch statement.

* We`re getting to the point where snowfall amount probabilities
  in the Sierra/northeast CA won`t even matter--being replaced by
  certainties. Snow amounts will be so much and difficult to
  accurately measure due to strong winds producing prolonged
  periods of near zero visibility, and blowing/drifting snow
  capable of burying vehicles and making it difficult to locate
  roads. Even walking outside would not be advised during this
  storm as a person could quickly become lost or disoriented.

* Lower elevations and foothills will likely experience strong and
  potentially damaging winds for the Thursday-Friday time frame,
  with high chances (70+%) for peak gusts 55+ mph. Wind prone
  areas including US-395/I-580 from eastern Lassen County
  southward across far western NV and into Mono County, and US-95
  around Walker Lake have about a 50/50 chance of seeing peak
  gusts 70+ mph. Blowing dust could produce areas of poor
  visibility downwind of deserts and sinks in northwest/west
  central NV.

* Western Nevada foothills (5000-6500 ft) will have the most
  challenging projections for snowfall amounts, as snow levels
  fluctuate around 5000-5500 feet for much of Thursday night-
  Friday. Depending on how much moisture spreads over and if snow
  intensities are sufficient to support daytime accumulations, the
  amounts could vary from less than 1 foot to as much as 3 feet.
  The higher end totals would occur in areas that remain all snow
  starting Thursday night, and also if snow continues to pile up
  through Sunday. Valley floors across the main urban areas (Reno-
  Carson-Minden) and the Surprise Valley still have about 60-70%
  chance of receiving 6+" and 15-30% chance of 12+" (except
  probabilities are a bit lower for Reno`s lowest valleys), while
  farther east across west central NV (Lovelock, Fernley, Fallon,
  Yerington, Hawthorne), amounts still look to be notably
  lighter, with less than 15% chance of exceeding 4".
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I was looking around yesterday at all the puddles in the fields, the water table is certainly up there these days.

It’s like a sponge out there. Went to the angry orchard last Sunday before this weeks rain and it was sloppy then. Was wondering if you have the monthly precip totals since October. Can’t remember when I had to drain the pool so many times vs. years before. 

13 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

It’s like a sponge out there. Went to the angry orchard last Sunday before this weeks rain and it was sloppy then. Was wondering if you have the monthly precip totals since October. Can’t remember when I had to drain the pool so many times vs. years before. 

Sure, with one caveat, the Feb total is just what the tipper registered which is likely off due to the snows. I'll have to check my records at home later if you want an accurate total for Feb:

Oct: 3.69

Nov: 2.13

Dec: 8.07

Jan: 3.51

Feb*: 1.78

Mar: 2.11 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

Sure, with one caveat, the Feb total is just what the tipper registered which is likely off due to the snows. I'll have to check my records at home later if you want an accurate total for Feb:

Thanks much. February is fine without the accurate info. Over 21” so far in 6 months with the rest of March to go. Only could imagine if we had a colder airmass what the frozen totals would have been for the last 3 months. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

23 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Thanks much. February is fine without the accurate info. Over 21” so far in 6 months with the rest of March to go. Only could imagine if we had a colder airmass what the frozen totals would have been for the last 3 months. 

Feb was 2.34"

• Thanks 1