• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium-Long Range Discussion

Holston_River_Rambler

This is why I waited until this morning to look at modeling.  I knew 0z was gonna be a mess.  A dying wave which is followed by a second piece of energy is realistic as well, and I wouldn't be surprised to see modeling consolidate even more around that second piece of energy like the GFS had at 6z.  When a strong cold front hits the GOM - dynamite.  Good trends for all of the forum really.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

This is why I waited until this morning to look at modeling.  I knew 0z was gonna be a mess.  A dying wave which is followed by a second piece of energy is realistic as well, and I wouldn't be surprised to see modeling consolidate even more around that second piece of energy like the GFS had at 6z.  When a strong cold front hits the GOM - dynamite.  Good trends for all of the forum really.

Yeah this thing is almost acting like quasi phased system...with wave #1 feeding wave #2 from the Atlantic 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TellicoWx said:

Yeah this thing is almost acting like quasi phased system...with wave #1 feeding wave #2 from the Atlantic 

I was digging through slp placement this morning...both the 6z GFS and 0z Euro move that coastal a little more off shore.  And it doesn't really hurt the second system.  I also wouldn't want to be in Memphis making this forecast.  The 0z GEPS is all-in for Memphis, but the 6z GEFS and 0z EPS are less enthused when one looks at individual members.  The GEFS/EPS lack a clear cluster of solutions.  Plus, the CMC/GEPS were the slowest to catch the solution in the first place - almost seems like they are a couple of days behind.  Now,(and I am sure you have seen this in the past as well) waiting on that second slug of moisture to come up the valley is not without peril.  I have found that to be an error w/ some winter storms or it slides too far eastward and goes through western NC.  I don't have a clear feel for this yet.  I tend to think it is some sort of strung-out anafront which stalls, and we get a pulse(s) along it.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see the second piece of energy be stronger or even be the main storm - might be a little late for that trend, but worth watching.  I would also expect that the system on the EC(first wave) to trend closer to the coast if it is the main system as it will wrap up more.  I think modeling is sniffing out a big coastal, but just can't figure out which piece of energy to accentuate....or it could just be a moderate over-running event.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

This is why I was a bit confused at the 0z GFS run yesterday. That super frigid air meeting the warm Gulf has to result in something, right?  

1 minute ago, weathertree4u2 said:

Luckily we know it will change with next run so

While I agree, and to a certain extent hope it does. That run is actually plausible. You have to go way, way back in the history books, but a system leading into and exiting this type pattern is there. Would be a 1 in 100 year type scenario.

• Like 2

The Friday storm is plausible.  One thing DT always warns about is a second system which is a shadow of the first feature.  It is a weird feedback issue in modeling that allows modeling to repeat the preceding system IF the first system was very strong.  However, given the amount of cold in place along with an active STJ/northern stream combo....another system sliding across is very plausible.  And honestly, another after that with warm air advection wouldn't surprise me.  This pattern is a good one.  It will relax from Jan 24-28, and then possibly reload with as potent a pattern or even more so.  And I might add, the trailing system has been off-and-on modeling for several days.  

• Like 7

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic