Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium-Long Range Discussion

Holston_River_Rambler

16 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

My mistake. Somehow mixed up with 58. 2 duds that way, 59 and 04.

LOL.  I used to like it.  58-59 had a cold December if I remember correctly, and ho-hum temps for the rest of winter.  Not terrible, but very similar up to this point.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

This is gonna be a wild ride.  The 18z EPS...not a bad trend.  The MA has some discussion about it.  Moves the trough around 150...further eastward.  Hope that trend continues - I think I hope that it continues.

Further East should be better, at least irt the Cold push into the area and squashing the SER. May serve to cause suppression but, I'd take my chances on further East. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

This is gonna be a wild ride.  The 18z EPS...not a bad trend.  The MA has some discussion about it.  Moves the trough around 150...further eastward.  Hope that trend continues - I think I hope that it continues.

I could see this being a big surprise for much of the forum area.  Now not saying it will be snow but ice could be the major issue. Having such cold air so close spells surprises many of the times for the mid south. If the LP is 150 miles more SE then look out. Either way we are going to get beneficial rains.  

4 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Further East should be better, at least irt the Cold push into the area and squashing the SER. May serve to cause suppression but, I'd take my chances on further East. 

The run goes out to 144, and at 500 it is further East.  It would likely not let the following storm dig into the southwest.  But just one run of many up to this point and going forward as well.   Again, my main concern for the 16th energy is that it slides under us and misses.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matthew70 said:

I could see this being a big surprise for much of the forum area.  Now not saying it will be snow but ice could be the major issue. Having such cold air so close spells surprises many of the times for the mid south. If the LP is 150 miles more SE then look out. Either way we are going to get beneficial rains.  

So that there is no confusion, I am talking about the storm on the 16th and not this weekend.  

• Like 3

0z GFS with a 963mb Low over northern Ohio/southern MI at 132hrs-if you thought the wind was going to be a problem with the system tomorrow! Wow! That low on this run strengthens into a hurricane blizzard for the Ohio valley! I’m surprised there wasn’t more wraparound precip even here with that solution! That was crazy! And, yep, that would definitely pull some cold air down geeze.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jed33 said:

0z GFS with a 963mb Low over northern Ohio/southern MI at 132hrs-if you thought the wind was going to be a problem with the system tomorrow! Wow! That low on this run strengthens into a hurricane blizzard for the Ohio valley! I’m surprised there wasn’t more wraparound precip even here with that solution! That was crazy! And, yep, that would definitely pull some cold air down geeze.

Yeah, looks like a full fledged Blizzard for the western OV and Midwest. 

• Like 2

Morning disco from Memphis….

This weekend will be our first real taste of winter. A secondary
cold front (https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=front) will push through Saturday morning with 850 temps
plunging to -8 C (https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=C) by Sunday morning. Highs will be cold each day
with readings in the 30s and lows in the teens and 20s. This
polar air will remain in place and set the stage for a potentially
significant winter storm Monday into Tuesday. Models have some
discrepancies wrt to QPF (https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=QPF) and temperatures at nearly 8
days out,
but all
ensemble (https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=ensemble)
and deterministic guidance points to at least
some potentially impactful accumulations of snow, sleet, and/or
ice. Stay tuned.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Matthew70 said:

This is for the Friday system correct? NWS OHX is saying maybe up to 1” with snow showers Friday night. 

I just don't see it with the Friday system.  I could easily be wrong.  OHX would be much more familiar with your area.  Maybe the Plateau and higher elevations of E TN.  Could be a dusting, but who knows.  These systems are powerhouses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carvers Gap said:

I just don't see it with the Friday system.  I could easily be wrong.  OHX would be much more familiar with your area.  Maybe the Plateau and higher elevations of E TN.  Could be a dusting, but who knows.  These systems are powerhouses.

I’m sure they meant Plateau.  

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic