Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '23-'24 Piss and Moan/Banter Thread

IWXwx

7 hours ago, rainsucks said:

ALL long-range modeling has been severely cold biased for quite some time now and cannot be trusted. bluewave has made some very informative posts on why this is the case and what can be done to improve the accuracy of long-range forecasting going forward.

The cold bias was worse this winter than normal. And last summer the extended had a heat bias. And we all know about the precip "clown maps". Always good to repeatedly remind yourself the LR is a guide, NOT a forecast.

On 3/13/2024 at 7:16 AM, michsnowfreak said:

The cold bias was worse this winter than normal. And last summer the extended had a heat bias. And we all know about the precip "clown maps". Always good to repeatedly remind yourself the LR is a guide, NOT a forecast.

Yeah, LR is good to see potential pattern development, not temps/storm intensities, etc.

• Like 1

Local ski hill (Welch Village) closed for the season yesterday. I only made it out 16 times this winter. I’d blame the weather for not getting at least 30 days on the snow but in reality parenting got in the way. Pretty damn proud of how the season went given the multitude of challenges running a ski hill must have been in the Midwest this winter. 

F2069C73-6F4D-4AAD-B659-439AEBC75514.jpeg

• Like 2

For those who think the climate is changing, how about looking to the winds?

Every other day there seems to be 30-40mph winds and every year they get more relentless 

When I moved to a rural area, I noticed the wind more because there is nothing to block it. But these last 3-4 years the winds feel like they are on another level. Both in frequency of windy days and the strength of the wind on those days 

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

champaign felt like the windiest place on the planet when i lived there, trees and buildings make big difference 

u are in the wind belt

30m_wind_map.jpg

Kind of silly but the Indian tribes of the area called this area of central Indiana something that loosely translates into, "Place of Big Wind". The map sort of shows that. Of course today the wind is blowing 29 gusting to 39. Windy indeed.

8 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

champaign felt like the windiest place on the planet when i lived there, trees and buildings make big difference 

u are in the wind belt

30m_wind_map.jpg

You lived in Champaign? Yes, it’s a notoriously windy place. Coworker is from Louisville and was just complaining how windy it is here all the time.