Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

45 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

The thermals really create the boom or bust scenario. Probably more of a tapered look to totals if we were just worried about precip. 

I do feel a little better about middle of the night/early morning in February versus if it were middle of the day in March. 

I agree, diurnal minimum for temperatures  can only help. To bad we can't get a couple hours of clear sky to radiate. The last week or so that probably helped skew this warmth a bit as we still managed to drop into the 20s a few nights. 

8 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I agree, diurnal minimum for temperatures  can only help. To bad we can't get a couple hours of clear sky to radiate. The last week or so that probably helped skew this warmth a bit as we still managed to drop into the 20s a few nights. 

Even with all that radiational cooling we’re still sitting at +13.2 month to date. Just behind 1925 (at a different observing site) for warmest first 10 days of Feb ever.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

GFS looks like it might suck slightly less

Its definitely a hair further South with the low, and subsequently a hair cooler. Too soon to tell if its just noise, or hopefully the start of a series of south adjustments.

Im hoping we can at least score a brief period of heavy paste that coats everything so every little bit helps.

Its also my opinion whatever "trend" you are seeing leading up in the last 36 hours or so usually continues through game time and verifies a little better if things are improving. That works the other way too, if things are slowing deteriorating odds are it will wind up worse than what models showed. 

3 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Impressive, and this 8.3” is with actual modeled ratios. This looks like it could be a big one.

Could be for sure. The models are still all over the place. I'm glad we have some of the mesos. Hopefully the next HRRR run shows a big hit again 

19 minutes ago, north pgh said:

I think we are looking at a 1-3 event with most of it falling while I'm asleep which are not my favorite storms. Wake up, shovel and then watch it start melting Tuesday afternoon. Yawn.

Probably won’t even have to shovel.

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
1258 PM EST Sun Feb 11 2024

OHZ041-PAZ007-013-014-020>022-073-077-078-121800-
Columbiana-Mercer-Lawrence-Butler-Beaver-Allegheny-Armstrong-
Westmoreland-Indiana-Higher Elevations of Indiana-
1258 PM EST Sun Feb 11 2024

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for east central Ohio and western
Pennsylvania.

.DAY ONE...This afternoon and tonight.

Hazardous weather is not expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Monday through Saturday.

There is a chance for winter weather impacts early Tuesday morning
with a crossing low pressure system. There still remains a lot of
uncertainty in precipitaiton type, snow liquid ratios, and the
position of snow bands. A Winter Weather Advisory or Winter Storm
Warning may need to be issued in the next 24 hours.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

Spotter activation is not expected at this time.

$$

The NWS discussion from yesterday said something to the effect that the eventual forecast might be more of a “middle ground” as opposed to the “most likely”. I’m not sure if that spread has closed that much in the last 24 hours.

I’d probably put up something like “2-5 inches, but possibly less to the south  and in lower elevations where there could be more rain”.

When we talk elevation in this area, forecasters love to just say ridges versus non ridges. In reality it’s more nuanced with borderline P types. I think you’ll see some differences in the metro area between 800’ and 1200’