Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

5 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

If the GFS and globals show nothing I wouldn’t put any stock in longer tw short range models 

Short range models look a bit better.  I guess we'll see what's going to happen.  I'll stay positive for even a little something.  Maybe a squall or two tomorrow whitens it up even more.

Alright let’s pivot. I’m pretty sure the NY governor is basically trying to fix the Steelers game with a travel ban. Steelers were in a much more favored position with the game tomorrow and looking at the historically over amped NAM they are maybe 6” by tomorrow.

She already showed her bias in her last news conference.

Edit:

Looking at the local nws office afd they are calling for much more snow. I don’t follow lake effect snow much so maybe the models just don’t pick them up well?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ecanem said:

Alright let’s pivot. I’m pretty sure the NY governor is basically trying to fix the Steelers game with a travel ban. Steelers were in a much more favored position with the game tomorrow and looking at the historically over amped NAM they are maybe 6” by tomorrow.

She already showed her bias in her last news conference.

Edit:

Looking at the local nws office afd they are calling for much more snow. I don’t follow lake effect snow much so maybe the models just don’t pick them up well?

Most models can’t really pick up a super micro event like LES bands. The 1-3 feet is probably accurate if you set up under a death band 

26 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Snow Squall Warning for most of Butler and the western half of AGC right now. Imagine that will transition east. 

Looks like 1-2 inches here overnight. Hard to tell for sure with the blowing, but at least as much on the ground as the storm last weekend. 

Another batch overhead now. :snowing:

• Like 2

One could argue next weekend always had more potential, but it's a little disappointing the energy isn't more consolidated for Tuesday, at least not right now.  I think there remains a chance it could overperform or surprise us to some degree.

It's going to be extra frustrating if we get out of this week without a bigger phased solution considering we watched two massive storms impact the Central U.S., however.  We'll regulate over the last week of January, too, so it's sort of a kick to the groin.

February will presumably offer more chances, and I suppose less blocking might be better for us inland folks.  The break will be welcome either way (busting out and/or after tracking all these threats).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jwilson said:

One could argue next weekend always had more potential, but it's a little disappointing the energy isn't more consolidated for Tuesday, at least not right now.  I think there remains a chance it could overperform or surprise us to some degree.

It's going to be extra frustrating if we get out of this week without a bigger phased solution considering we watched two massive storms impact the Central U.S., however.  We'll regulate over the last week of January, too, so it's sort of a kick to the groin.

February will presumably offer more chances, and I suppose less blocking might be better for us inland folks.  The break will be welcome either way (busting out and/or after tracking all these threats).

Hopefully we can get efficient snow growth, to make up for the lack of qpf. 
As far as February, it’s always a fine line between blocking, and all out suppression. 
For us it’s always been the location, i.e. 2/5/10. It was like a see saw, where the blocking suppressed eastern pa, and popped a norlun trough west of the apps enhancing our precip. 

Ehh I've stayed away from this one since it really hasn't looked good except the RGEM. Most likely a 1-2 storm with the really good bands missing just to our south. Who knows maybe nowcasting moves things north but I wouldn't bet on it. Good to see some winter weather regardless. 

9 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

Ehh I've stayed away from this one since it really hasn't looked good except the RGEM. Most likely a 1-2 storm with the really good bands missing just to our south. Who knows maybe nowcasting moves things north but I wouldn't bet on it. Good to see some winter weather regardless. 

1-2 seems reasonable. Ratios should be good to maximize what we get qpf wise. It does seem like the trend has been very tiny increments of improving as we get closer.

If that continues maybe we can bump up to 2-4. :o :lol: Little sarcasm there. I feel like I've put a lot of energy into tracking this. Cold snow on snow in the teens and 20s is hard to beat in my book so I'll take what I can get. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

1-2 seems reasonable. Ratios should be good to maximize what we get qpf wise. It does seem like the trend has been very tiny increments of improving as we get closer.

If that continues maybe we can bump up to 2-4. :o :lol: Little sarcasm there. I feel like I've put a lot of energy into tracking this. Cold snow on snow in the teens and 20s is hard to beat in my book so I'll take what I can get. 

Considering what some models were showing getting 1-2” seems like a win.  And I don’t think we should be upset with it.

9 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Considering what some models were showing getting 1-2” seems like a win.  And I don’t think we should be upset with it.

I would think we can be upset with 1-2” if Friday also busts.

With yesterday’s snow, PIT is at 5.9” for the season. I personally would say a season total of 10.0” at the end of January is the bare minimum dividing line between being kinda bummed and complete despair. That requires us to get 4.1” before the thaw.