• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

All in all I’d rather it be south for now than showing us on the mix line, but it sure seems like our two scenarios here are us being close to mixing or fringed to the south 

it also seems like te inevitable push north never happens in a scenario showing now 

Just now, Rd9108 said:

Well you knew it was gonna happen. The models trended. Shouldn't be a surprise and there's obviously still time left for this to go one way or another. 

This isn’t uncommon or unexpected.  I can’t imagine there was ever a storm where the models stayed exactly the same for over a week.

Plenty of time for better trends.  No reason not to still be hopeful, unless your TimB.  He stays negative.

We have not had a single storm that was trackable this winter so far. I will gladly take the last 24-36 hours where there is actually something to look at regardless of what we end up with. Anything beats weeks and weeks of pattern talk.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Wonder how this will fail?  I'm sure we'll hear soon.

I’d certainly be happy with that solution, or even an advisory level event. It’s the fact that 1-3” type events (or less) are still very much on the table that is frustrating.

There's a signal for something this weekend, which is about the best we've done in quite a while.  Plus with the weekend rule in effect, that's an additional +25% to confidence scores.

I do prefer this one south to start - at longer leads, that is.  We know that they generally bump north gradually as the T-0 clock closes.  If the starting point is us getting bullseye'd, mixed, or some kind of southern fringe solution, chances are much higher we'd lose it altogether.  If we're still on the northern fringe at say 48 hours, then you start to get worried about suppression.

• Like 2

Half of the 30 GEFS members show a 6"+ storm for Pittsburgh metro or are very close to it.  Perhaps 10 certain and then a few that are inexact given the resolution.  That's not quite what I'd consider "honking," but it's still quite good at this range.  A handful more show a fringe event (borderline minor to moderate or a fringe special).  Five show what's basically a non-event.

7 hours ago, jwilson said:

Half of the 30 GEFS members show a 6"+ storm for Pittsburgh metro or are very close to it.  Perhaps 10 certain and then a few that are inexact given the resolution.  That's not quite what I'd consider "honking," but it's still quite good at this range.  A handful more show a fringe event (borderline minor to moderate or a fringe special).  Five show what's basically a non-event.

Generally the look with the primary not making it into OH and now rather into Kentucky is much better for our chances. At least right now the warm tongue is held at bay but we also avoid the dryslot that tends to setup between the two lows during the transfer. It's a fairly narrow stripe for victory in the grand scheme of things and there is still enough uncertainty with evolution that this could go haywire for us, but its been somewhat refreshing to see generally the same look on both the GFS and Euro for a couple runs. 

33 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Don’t look at the 6z euro ensembles. Basically shuts us out 

Easy now. Don't jump yet. The shortwave isn't sampled until probably tomorrow's 12z. The big jumps are most likely not gonna happen since this isn't a big phase bomb. I'm sure we will see minor adjustments both ways the next few runs. It always seems to happen.