Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

8 hours ago, TimB said:

I wasn’t impressed with how fleeting the cold was on the GEFS either.

I think we are to far out yet to get a handle on that and this isn't a sustained bitter cold pattern, those often aren't great for storms anyways. You're point is valid though, no guarantee we get into a sustained 2 week pattern that is good, it could be in and out in 5-7 days. I'll reserve judgement on that until we get closer, really no shot at anything for at least another 7 days. Get through that and see how the extended looks then.

I don't put much time into looking at weeklies etc, but they have been decent for January into Feb but they can swing wildly based on how the run they are initiated from ended sometimes so take with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, north pgh said:

It looks like the colder air filters down late next week. Hoping to start with some more lake effect and then the pattern change will hopefully begin.

Man it feels like it's been 2 years since we've even tracked a potential winter storm watch type storm. :santa:

It basically has been.

March 2022 was the last one.

26 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

It basically has been.

March 2022 was the last one.

I feel like that may have been one where they just rolled with an advisory and it overperformed. Am I wrong?

Edit: It looks like we had a watch that was later downgraded to an advisory, which they kept through the duration of the event.

So we had a watch then, but the last time Allegheny county was pink was in January 2022.

57 minutes ago, TimB said:

I feel like that may have been one where they just rolled with an advisory and it overperformed. Am I wrong?

Edit: It looks like we had a watch that was later downgraded to an advisory, which they kept through the duration of the event.

So we had a watch then, but the last time Allegheny county was pink was in January 2022.

Sounds familiar now that you mention it. 
I do remember the Jan 22 storm ended up being more NW, limiting totals south and East of Pgh. 
However region wide wall to wall watch to warning has been awhile. 

2 hours ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Sounds familiar now that you mention it. 
I do remember the Jan 22 storm ended up being more NW, limiting totals south and East of Pgh. 
However region wide wall to wall watch to warning has been awhile. 

I did some detective work. This appears to be it.

QhPa3HO.jpg

• Thanks 1

With our next shot at getting below freezing not until Friday, we’ve likely clinched a spot in the top 10 fewest December days that have reached the freezing mark, as the best we can do is 13 days if Friday, Saturday and Sunday all get below freezing. Note that only one of the years with 14 or fewer days getting below freezing was observed at KPIT, and it was 2015 which is the standard bearer for awful Decembers.

5C332B53-78C9-46E0-AD89-0AB6D505AE99.jpeg.db4ba49e40d01e5de90945d6632fa3ce.jpeg

3 hours ago, TimB said:

With our next shot at getting below freezing not until Friday, we’ve likely clinched a spot in the top 10 fewest December days that have reached the freezing mark, as the best we can do is 13 days if Friday, Saturday and Sunday all get below freezing. Note that only one of the years with 14 or fewer days getting below freezing was observed at KPIT, and it was 2015 which is the standard bearer for awful Decembers.

Surprised to see 5 out of 11 of those are pre 1900. Due to poor equipment / record keeping possibly? 

47 minutes ago, TimB said:

Hard to tell, honestly. You know what I think of the old records but it’s the only records we have so what can you do?

Yeah, I recall the discussion previously on those. They make an interesting data point, but if they are "bad" it certainly skews the warming trend.

I guess you could run those leaving out anything prior to a certain year. 

On 12/23/2023 at 8:43 AM, TimB said:

Given the change in the forecast for late week/weekend, we may finish with just 10 freezing temps in December, less than 2015 and in 2nd place on this list.