Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

It has snow where the same models 2M mean is in the 40's.  

image.png.0684e19a2f62ed4af9d8246c4204c50c.png

I don’t love that, but I do like the axis blizz posted above. If we have a 987 over ocean city Md we’re probably snowing even in this set up. A little more N/S interaction wouldn’t have been bad except where the features are now it would pull things a bit too north for us

18z Gem was ready to rock though warm to start, but the run ended just as precip was entering our subforum. The dew point temps are more encouraging than air temps to start. Lol Here are some maps at the link below for more stuff if interested. 

https://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/forecast-systems.php?lang=en&map=na&run=18&mod=cmc_gdps&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest

GZ_D5_PN_084_0000 (4).gif

WW_GZ_UU_VV_084_0700.gif

TT_GZ_UU_VV_084_0850.gif

8 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

18z Gem was ready to rock though warm to start, but the run ended just as precip was entering our subforum. The dew point temps are more encouraging than air temps to start. Lol Here are some maps at the link below for more stuff if interested. 

https://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/forecast-systems.php?lang=en&map=na&run=18&mod=cmc_gdps&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest

GZ_D5_PN_084_0000 (4).gif

WW_GZ_UU_VV_084_0700.gif

TT_GZ_UU_VV_084_0850.gif

That low position at sub 1000 is a good look! 

• Like 1

Just now, DDweatherman said:

Definitely the best presentation so far from anyone in the Canadian family. We’re getting some snow if a 998 primary is around RoA or Danville transferring to the coast. 

Should attached this close-up of uvv map the first time!

WW_GZ_UU_VV_084_0700 (1).gif

12 minutes ago, canderson said:

I don’t buy any of these snow maps with the temps.  I hope I’m wrong but I expect hardly any accumulation here with no elevation.  

Yes, here it is, thanks..I was waiting for this…!

A tradition like this must go on.

I’m refilling my gas can for my snow blower!

13 minutes ago, canderson said:

I don’t buy any of these snow maps with the temps.  I hope I’m wrong but I expect hardly any accumulation here with no elevation.  

If you use Kuchera, they will be closer to reality, though the back half of the snow would have decent ratios I would think.

8 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Are the Gefs this bad vs other modeling or better? These maps are 10:1, so they would have to be shaved 20-30% I would guess. But still, they are agressive.

sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_ma (1) (4).png

sn10_024h-prob04.us_ma (4).png

The 18z GEFS & 12z EPS are similar with amounts in the LSV. 
GEFS gets 5 inches to Harrisburg & York while the EPS gets 4 to these locations.

The GEFS gets the overall snow line about 50 miles further south than the EPS.

IMG_5033.png

IMG_5034.png

Here’s the NBM (National Blend of Models) for reference. Whenever it comes time for CTP to throw out an initial snow map, NBM is likely to factor a good bit into their map.  I think this particular blend actually looks solid for the time range we’re in (D3-4). We’ll see if it eventually starts matching up some of the bigger numbers the ops are throwing out. 

image.thumb.png.e5722f413b9fe216f98755d9d0123ba0.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

18z Euro looks to be a little further south than 12z. Know shortly for certain. 

It’s a good run for sure, still snowing at 90hr in most of central/eastern PA too and quite heavily in the LSV.

1hr snowfall at the 90hr frame:

image.thumb.png.98b4a5965695d3a4507578708994f7d1.png

Total snowfall thru 90hrs

image.thumb.png.575487c04a0e001eb58308bf9af1c596.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok. Since Blizvis out gettingvthe kids' mother drunk for later this evening, I'll give you my thoughts and maps. First map is surface weather at 90hrs. Lots of heavy snow. So how far back does the precip go at this point? Euro on Pivotal does not offer a sim radar, but you can get an idea with the visibity map, which is the 2nd map. Finally, Kuchere snowfall map at 90hrs with more to come.

EDIT: Sorta Ninja'd by MAG

prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.us_ma (3).png

visibility-imp.us_ma.png

snku_acc-imp.us_ma (25).png

• Like 1