• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MO/KS/AR/OK 2023-2024 Winter Discussion

JoMo

Yeah and people were panic buying at the stores over the past couple days too once the Watch/Warning got posted. A lot of people are gonna be PO'd. We will probably just see a repeat performance of Friday with flurries and a dusting at best.

I mean this isn't even warning criteria. Really confused on why they went with the Warning.

StormSnowAmt.jpg

Nothing like being -1 outside with steady snow coming down, even if it is small flakes. Long range forecast looks the same still, gonna lose the -EPO and the source of cold until late month when it becomes re-established. 

19 minutes ago, MoWeatherguy said:

Looks like the AR River valley might cash out the most. 

Yea Tulsa's write up was mentioning that about the second wave of energy tom. Morning. I'm actually surprised on this one though lol, I was expecting flurries at best haha

6 minutes ago, NwWhiteOut said:

Yea Tulsa's write up was mentioning that about the second wave of energy tom. Morning. I'm actually surprised on this one though lol, I was expecting flurries at best haha

Yah we're lucky to get what we did today.  Hopefully more to come in the next few weeks. 

• Like 1

They cancelled schools around here for… an inch. An inch! I mean, look, beggars can’t be choosers and I like surprise snow even if it is small amounts. Especially with this cold (it’s 3F this AM with wind chill of -11F) but the kids can’t even play in this!

Worst kind of snow day possible. Not enough to play in and kids now will drive all parents insane.

• Haha 1

Well although we've had snow here in SC Kansas this winter, I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit disappointed after missing multiple waves of snow at my house throughout this cold snap. I'm not a fan of bone chilling cold temps with no snow but that's what happened. Win some, lose some I suppose. On to the next.image.thumb.png.c8c37420c0ea8b9c57de384a02e3a7f3.png

• Like 1

Got 1" snow and school is out  here also . Reason here is due to most families live on dirt roads and of course the road department don't do the dirt roads , only pavement.  Due to the cold (no snow melt)  school will not be back in session until the dirt  roads are safe . Which will probably be Thursday . 

4 hours ago, stormdragonwx said:

I will say I am not too thrilled about the icing potential next week. At least in snow you can get around if you know what you are doing. It also means more power disruptions which is not ideal with the extreme cold we have had.

As far as winter wx goes, I find ice/sleet/graupel storms to be way more interesting than snow ones. Especially all the glazing and sometimes Huge icicles on everything in ice storms. And sleet & graupel, sometimes bouncing off everything which is even more fun to both watch & hear as it's happened a few times down here in southern TX (along with a minor ice storm, Christmas snow storm & even a little thundersnow) during the past 20 years. But there's also another type of sleet that I've seen as well that looks like transparent salt particles (instead of the more common white ball type that look more like very tiny hail stones).

In ice storms, sure there can be damage involved (especially when icing accumulation gets over 0.25 in. causing bigger trees and more wires to snap). But from what I've seen over the years, they don't seem to be too common up there in this topic's region of the Midwest/Plains. So that also makes it more interesting to see what happens if that's the case.

As far as what I peeked at on globals about the potential one next week in this topic's region, GEM/ICON are showing a lot of it in OK, AR, MO with some heavier icing. But.., Euro shows virtually zip ice & surface temps around 40 F in a lot of areas.

1 hour ago, Stx_Thunder said:

As far as winter wx goes, I find ice/sleet/graupel storms to be way more interesting than snow ones. Especially all the glazing and sometimes Huge icicles on everything in ice storms. And sleet & graupel, sometimes bouncing off everything which is even more fun to both watch & hear as it's happened a few times down here in southern TX (along with a minor ice storm, Christmas snow storm & even a little thundersnow) during the past 20 years. But there's also another type of sleet that I've seen as well that looks like transparent salt particles (instead of the more common white ball type that look more like very tiny hail stones).

In ice storms, sure there can be damage involved (especially when icing accumulation gets over 0.25 in. causing bigger trees and more wires to snap). But from what I've seen over the years, they don't seem to be too common up there in this topic's region of the Midwest/Plains. So that also makes it more interesting to see what happens if that's the case.

As far as what I peeked at on globals about the potential one next week in this topic's region, GEM/ICON are showing a lot of it in OK, AR, MO with some heavier icing. But.., Euro shows virtually zip ice & surface temps around 40 F in a lot of areas.

Sleet sucks because it could be snow. Nothing more annoying than having a storm that's supposed to produce a good amount of snow end up being a sleet storm because it's 33 degrees in some part of the atmosphere and the 'warm nose' wasn't modeled well. Ice storms suck worse because you lose trees and power lines. 2007 was the year of the ice storm here and with over 1" of freezing rain is crazy and everything looks like an alien world. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

EURO, GFS, and CANADIAN have all latched on to some freezing rain Monday and Tuesday next week. The Canadian is obviously the most aggressive, but all three put out some significant numbers in some spots. I always worry when arctic air is retreating about a scenario like this. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JoMo said:

Sleet sucks because it could be snow. Nothing more annoying than having a storm that's supposed to produce a good amount of snow end up being a sleet storm because it's 33 degrees in some part of the atmosphere and the 'warm nose' wasn't modeled well. Ice storms suck worse because you lose trees and power lines. 2007 was the year of the ice storm here and with over 1" of freezing rain is crazy and everything looks like an alien world. 

Nah, sleet never sucks. And ice storms on a visual standpoint can actually look very interesting with all the glaze and icicles on everything.

Snow (just like tornadoes) is just extremely overrated and because of the media.

2 hours ago, Wx 24/7 said:

EURO, GFS, and CANADIAN have all latched on to some freezing rain Monday and Tuesday next week. The Canadian is obviously the most aggressive, but all three put out some significant numbers in some spots. I always worry when arctic air is retreating about a scenario like this. 

Well the AO (arctic oscillation) is forecast on CPC in the upcoming weeks for later January to go back toward a positive phase, or may already be in the process now. Which typically means warmer weather for the Plains/Central US because of less arctic/polar airmass influence during a positive phase.

• Like 1

Man if it's one thing I'm nervous about it's ice storms, as beautiful as they are I have been through some baddies in my time!! Sux losing power for a week or more with no generator.

The forecast seems to keep painting more and more in for Sunday night into Monday sometime ugh. 

6 hours ago, Stx_Thunder said:

Nah, sleet never sucks. And ice storms on a visual standpoint can actually look very interesting with all the glaze and icicles on everything.

Snow (just like tornadoes) is just extremely overrated and because of the media.

Yeah, sleet sucks when you are expecting a lot of snow, and the amounts are gobbled up by sleet instead. Not to mention the annoying "ping" sound against north facing windows. Small amounts of freezing rain/ice accumulation make the trees very visually striking, but too much is very destructive. Gets a lot of the dead limbs out of the tree though.