• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MO/KS/AR/OK 2023-2024 Winter Discussion

JoMo

NWS Tulsa just issued a Winter Storm Watch for a lot of us in NEOK and NWAR.  Doesn’t include Metro Tulsa at this time.  

WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
MONDAY MORNING...
* WHAT...For the Wind Chill Advisory, very cold wind chills
  expected. Wind chills as low as 20 below zero. For the Wind
  Chill Watch, dangerously cold wind chills possible. Wind
  chills as low as 20 below zero. For the Winter Storm Watch,
  heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 5 inches
  possible.
  • Like 2

I will say if I was a kid in Little Rock I would be pretty excited about sliding down the hill in the park on Monday.  I would like to think I would be a little bit happy that someone even more snow starved than me gets a decent snow. 

But not yet.   I am still hoping for a grand reversal of trend. One more model cycle and I will wave the white flag if nothing big changes.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Waterboy said:

Well, it seems that apathy and numbness are setting in with most of us, me included.
Does anyone have a good pregame speech to rally the team??? 

Man. I really want to be inspiring at this point. But after the last 24 hours of model mayhem I’ve become comfortably numb. But I will say this, I think this is a really complex system that has caused the models a lot of trouble and we have the benefit of high ratios. I think we will get a nice snow to look at just not the big storm we were expecting from a few days ago. Go team! 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, NWAflizzard said:

Man. I really want to be inspiring at this point. But after the last 24 hours of model mayhem I’ve become comfortably numb. But I will say this, I think this is a really complex system that has caused the models a lot of trouble and we have the benefit of high ratios. I think we will get a nice snow to look at just not the big storm we were expecting from a few days ago. Go team! 

I nominate Flizzard for team captain!  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, The Waterboy said:

Well, it seems that apathy and numbness are setting in with most of us, me included.
Does anyone have a good pregame speech to rally the team??? 

Winter weather advisories are out and some upgrades to Winter Storm Warnings.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Never forget, Mother Nature is at her core, unpredictable. Some of the most memorable weather events in history happened because things did not go as intended and Mother Nature had her own plans.

I’ve experienced several winter weather events that were like a dream all because a storm overperformed.

As far as we have come, our knowledge is not infallible.

There is low confidence in this storm, which means the likelihood of someone getting more than they bargained for is higher. 

I believe the storm will give us more than advertised! A band will set up somewhere and drop half a foot. Mark my words!

• Like 4

It was never going to be a super big storm, it was a weak/dying shortwave moving though. With that being said, 2-4" of fluffy snow is generally possible due to how cold it is. It may even overperform in the most prolific band. Looking ahead, it looks like we should lose the -EPO in a week or so but it looks to reestablish itself by the end of the month.

Looks like they moved the Buffalo game to Monday since they are expecting FEET of snow. 

With that being said, Go Chiefs!

• Like 1

Is this storm fully sampled on shore yet? The amounts in Oregon have already surprised the Mets there. Forecasts have had to be upped several inches for snow. Perhaps it'll be stronger than the models have shown.

So wishing for snow.

12 minutes ago, SWineman said:

Is this storm fully sampled on shore yet? The amounts in Oregon have already surprised the Mets there. Forecasts have had to be upped several inches for snow. Perhaps it'll be stronger than the models have shown.

So wishing for snow.

Should be fully sampled for the 0z runs. Don’t believe it was for 12z but not positive. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MUWX said:

Should be fully sampled for the 0z runs. Don’t believe it was for 12z but not positive. 

KNWA Dan Skoff said on a FB live show an hour ago it wasn't fully sampled until tonight.  They're going with a general 2-4 for now.  But banding could produce more in some areas. Also said based on soundings flakes could be sizeable. 

I’ll be very happy with a couple inches of 20:1 fluff falling in an environment that’s very extreme for these parts. It’s starting to feel pretty brutal outside in Tulsa, but the wind chill maps to the north are just incredible. 

2 minutes ago, stormdragonwx said:

Yeah 00z models appear to be coming in even drier. I am thinking this is gonna bust and they will downgrade the warnings to an advisory.

I think the NWS set themselves up for failure by going with a warning.