• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Fall 2023 Discussion

Ahoff

With a chance of snow later on today, figured I'd take a look at Halloween snowfall climatology. Only one year with measurable snowfall (1993), and it was a doozy. However, there have been 10 years in which at least a trace of snowfall was recorded (out of 128 years for which snowfall data is said to be available for October 31). So snowflakes [and/or ice pellets] at some point on Halloween aren't super rare, occurring on average once every 12.8 years historically. Although should snowflakes [and/or ice pellets] be observed today, it would be the third time in the past 12 years. And if we do manage to accumulate a dusting before 1 am EDT, it would be only the second time on record for accumulating snowfall on 10-31.

image.png.fc30ced915a9e916d7f65796b59080bc.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

With a chance of snow later on today, figured I'd take a look at Halloween snowfall climatology. Only one year with measurable snowfall (1993), and it was a doozy. However, there have been 10 years in which at least a trace of snowfall was recorded (out of 128 years for which snowfall data is said to be available for October 31). So snowflakes [and/or ice pellets] at some point on Halloween aren't super rare, occurring on average once every 12.8 years historically. Although should snowflakes [and/or ice pellets] be observed today, it would be the third time in the past 12 years. And if we do manage to accumulate a dusting before 1 am EDT, it would be only the second time on record for accumulating snowfall on 10-31.

image.png.fc30ced915a9e916d7f65796b59080bc.png

Funny thing about this is I had to sit and listen to older colleagues today talk about how it was always this cold and always had snow on Halloween when they were kids.  This 100% proves that just wasn't true.  Which I knew it wasn't.  Also, they said we never used to have 80 degree Halloween's when I really wanted to say yeah we never did, as the record is 79, and from 1950 to boot, so I guess they did have some warm Halloween's in their time.

It drives me nuts when people say the weather is totally different today than when they grew up, when really it is only marginally different if different at all.

3 hours ago, TimB said:

And we’re on the board, officially. Earliest first measurable since 2013.

2020 was very close. Officially, picked up 0.5" on the 2nd, but it fell on the night of the 1st, but after 1 am EDT. I had about an inch that morning at my house. There was very little, if any, snow the remainder of November. But December 1, 2020 opened up with a big storm - officially, 6.8" but more than that north of the airport and city.

56 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

2020 was very close. Officially, picked up 0.5" on the 2nd, but it fell on the night of the 1st, but after 1 am EDT. I had about an inch that morning at my house. There was very little, if any, snow the remainder of November. But December 1, 2020 opened up with a big storm - officially, 6.8" but more than that north of the airport and city.

That was a good season too.