Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Fall 2023 Discussion

Ahoff

17 hours ago, Ahoff said:

With the dewpoint dropping, now 29, I wonder how low we will drop tonight?  Inevitably though, we'll cloud up probably tonight.

Apparently 44 so far. PIT just doesn’t get cold even when it stays mostly clear most of the night with low dewpoints.

8 minutes ago, TimB said:

Apparently 44 so far. PIT just doesn’t get cold even when it stays mostly clear most of the night with low dewpoints.

Question, though, while it is actually clear, why does the NWS report an overcast sky?  That seems to happen a lot, mentions clouds when there really aren't any.

3 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Question, though, while it is actually clear, why does the NWS report an overcast sky?  That seems to happen a lot, mentions clouds when there really aren't any.

It looks like it was reported overcast at 8000 feet for an hour or two during the night. I can’t speak to whether that’s true or not because I wasn’t awake and don’t live anywhere near the airport.

3 hours ago, TimB said:

It looks like it was reported overcast at 8000 feet for an hour or two during the night. I can’t speak to whether that’s true or not because I wasn’t awake and don’t live anywhere near the airport.

I noticed this morning at around 6, that it was perfectly clear in my area (seeing stars), but the NWS obs were overcast.  There's almost no way it was completely overcast at the airport, but 15 miles away was clear.

It's something I've noticed with them a lot.  Happens a lot in the summer too, especially when making a run at 90, lol.  It will be pretty clear or partly cloudy in town, but mostly cloudy or overcast at the airport.  Just weird.

3 hours ago, Ahoff said:

I noticed this morning at around 6, that it was perfectly clear in my area (seeing stars), but the NWS obs were overcast.  There's almost no way it was completely overcast at the airport, but 15 miles away was clear.

It's something I've noticed with them a lot.  Happens a lot in the summer too, especially when making a run at 90, lol.  It will be pretty clear or partly cloudy in town, but mostly cloudy or overcast at the airport.  Just weird.

Not to worry, PIT still has a shot at reaching 60 today when it wasn’t even forecast to get close.

Once again the NWS forecasted 40 and I think most of the county got there while the airport bottomed out at 44. We’ll do it again tonight, but if we don’t get below 44, we’re pretty much guaranteed 2nd place and have a shot at 1st on the longest into a fall season we’ve gone without seeing lower 40s (<= 43).

DFE1D265-A12B-4C8E-A3F2-A1E9D6C2D466.jpeg.c8eb5f43015acbe746dde2d33847c4c6.jpeg

2 hours ago, TimB said:

Once again the NWS forecasted 40 and I think most of the county got there while the airport bottomed out at 44. We’ll do it again tonight, but if we don’t get below 44, we’re pretty much guaranteed 2nd place and have a shot at 1st on the longest into a fall season we’ve gone without seeing lower 40s (<= 43).

DFE1D265-A12B-4C8E-A3F2-A1E9D6C2D466.jpeg.c8eb5f43015acbe746dde2d33847c4c6.jpeg

Has to be construction at the airport keeping temps higher.  No real explanation other than that, when a lot of the entire area went into the low 40s and even 30s the last two nights.

3 hours ago, TimB said:

And yet the official low that’s going into the record books is 44. That’s a travesty. Two degrees below normal on a “cold” morning.

Yeah, this sensor is not right.  I’m sorry.  Areas aren’t dropping to the mid 30s and the airport location stays 10 degrees warmer.  Not buying it’s accuracy at all.

6 minutes ago, TimB said:

But AGC got to 43. It’s getting harder to trust the PIT temps.

Exactly, my car temp said 46 this morning, and I live in the City.

They were talking about frost and how cold it was in areas on KDKA this morning, but interestingly never mentioned the 51 degree reading at the time.  Wonder if they were skeptical of the temperature as well.

Years where PIT (at its current location, since 1952) didn’t reach the 30s on or before 10/9:

So twice in the first 58 years of observations there and 8 out of the last 14.

Not likely to get there over the next 10 days either. Could we make it to November before our first 39?

8 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Aren’t we on the wrong side of the front though?

We’re still north of the warm front but yeah, we’d already be mixing way before the change to plain rain. Low is progged to track near or ever so slightly south of us, so this track would be the usual misery in winter.

8 minutes ago, TimB said:

We’re still north of the warm front but yeah, we’d already be mixing way before the change to plain rain. Low is progged to track near or ever so slightly south of us, so this track would be the usual misery in winter.

I meant the radar depiction itself but yeah this would be our usual misery in that instance.

Our quest to be the first October in history that doesn’t get into the 30s looks to continue. The cool period after the upcoming warmup looks rainy and therefore warm at night, followed by another warmup. Outside shot at lows in the 30s early next week, but we all know for PIT to get to 39 the forecast is going to have to be 35 or 36.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TimB said:

Our quest to be the first October in history that doesn’t get into the 30s looks to continue. The cool period after the upcoming warmup looks rainy and therefore warm at night, followed by another warmup. Outside shot at lows in the 30s early next week, but we all know for PIT to get to 39 the forecast is going to have to be 35 or 36.

Hopefully we don't have to hear this all winter....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1