• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

According to the hourly obs from Furnace Creek in Death Valley CA they haven't been below 100 degrees since early Sunday morning when temps dipped to a frosty 94 degrees.  Yesterday's low was 105, and today's low was 101 degrees- at least as far as the hourly readings.  Spending a stretch of summer there would be as fascinating as spending some time up on Mt. Washington NH during the winter.

The ob from 3am yesterday morning is just insane.  108 degrees at 3am!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

47 for the low here this morning with some patchy fog earlier.  This is the 7th night in July with low temps in the 40's.

Decent rain chances this afternoon/evening.

Going to be great camping weather for me if that continues :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

According to the hourly obs from Furnace Creek in Death Valley CA they haven't been below 100 degrees since early Sunday morning when temps dipped to a frosty 94 degrees.  Yesterday's low was 105, and today's low was 101 degrees- at least as far as the hourly readings.  Spending a stretch of summer there would be as fascinating as spending some time up on Mt. Washington NH during the winter.

The ob from 3am yesterday morning is just insane.  108 degrees at 3am!

Wow - those lows! Clearly, it must be the urban heat island effect!

3 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Wow - those lows! Clearly, it must be the urban heat island effect!

It's kind of funny. Ryan Maue, on Twitter, was comparing low temperatures at Phoenix to those observed at Tuscon to illustrate the supposed UHI effect. However, he did not mention that Tuscon is 1500' higher in elevation. Wonder why he didn't compare the lows at Sky Harbor Airport to those at Furnace Creek? After all, nobody lives in Death Valley. Sky Harbor Airport is actually closer in elevation to Death Valley than to Tucson.

Rather unsurprisingly, the low temperatures in Death Valley are significantly higher than those observed at PHX. Not because of more urbanization at the former than the latter, but rather the difference in elevation!

1 minute ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Lots of rumbles out there but it looks like the northern suburbs are the winners while just a few drops in mby and at the airport. 

Was just going to say that 2 cells merged and are running the N end of MSP. Good downpours for them.

32 minutes ago, Brian D said:

New tornado warning up on the Iron Range. Funnel was spotted in Siren, WI. Cell still warned over Rice Lake, WI.

Funnel cloud reported just S of Rice Lake. Cell moving in my direction. Not very big tho, so not much rain expected with that one. Scattered small cells running around here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

I'm crossing my fingers for a warm August.  I need the heat to push my garden over the finish line.  Terrible grow season this year.

It has been an interesting growing season here but the past couple weeks with better rains have really helped.   Hopefully yours will do well!

29 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Funnel cloud reported just S of Rice Lake. Cell moving in my direction. Not very big tho, so not much rain expected with that one. Scattered small cells running around here.

Models are all over the place for LM tomorrow with this system.  Hopefully we get some good storms down this way.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Brian D said:

With that funnel was tennis ball hail. Lots of damage in the area. Retail store roof was broken through. OUCH!

17 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Cell moving in from the SW has hail reports with it in Duluth. Dimes n nickels. Maybe will get some of that.

That cell scooted offshore just as it made it this way. Oh well. Needed the rain. Maybe another cell will make it's way through.