• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

I know it was supposed to be cooler back on Friday, but it didn't really feel like it. This morning was humid as hell thanks to the rain while it was around 70ºF, and this afternoon it still felt like it was in the higher end of the mid-80s (it was actually about 82ºF). Tonight though, it feels cooler and drier (58ºF and a dewpoint of 49ºF). So I guess we'll have a (potentially) nice day today before the heat comes back for Sunday and Monday.

This morning's low temperatures made it down to the low 50's in many of the lower valley spots across Chester County. Here in East Nantmeal the low this AM of 55.1 was our chilliest low since the 53.9 degree low back on June 15th.
Today will be a top 10 day of the summer with very sunny skies, low humidity and high temperatures remaining in the mid to upper 70's. We warm up tomorrow into the low to mid-80's but still low humidity. We warm up for just one day on Monday but yet again with more humidity temps should top out in the mid to upper 80's. More great cooler than normal weather moves back in for Tuesday through Thursday as we continue our relatively chilly summer here in Chester County.
Records for today: High 96 (1914) / Low 45 (1949) / Rain 4.98" (1939)
image.png.499257d503734db453a00b3683c16551.png

7 hours ago, TC1 said:

I know it was supposed to be cooler back on Friday, but it didn't really feel like it. This morning was humid as hell thanks to the rain while it was around 70ºF, and this afternoon it still felt like it was in the higher end of the mid-80s (it was actually about 82ºF). Tonight though, it feels cooler and drier (58ºF and a dewpoint of 49ºF). So I guess we'll have a (potentially) nice day today before the heat comes back for Sunday and Monday.

Hello and welcome, new forum member! Today is awesome - here is a snippet from this morning's Mt. Holly forecast discussion. I concur with the last sentence:

Screenshot_20230819_103850_Chrome.thumb.jpg.444bb4a5491b448c04f862b8390cffa4.jpg

• Like 1

While temps warm into the low to mid 80's today across Chesco humidity stays low. Tomorrow will be the warmest day of the week with highs above normal in the mid to upper 80's with more humidity added in. Cooler again by tomorrow night through Thursday with daytime highs in the 70's and nights again in the 50's for many spots.
Records for today: High 99 (1983) Low 44 (1949) / Rain 2.59" (1991)
image.png.499bfa796c7b64c469e7442f9bd7c2df.png

On 8/19/2023 at 12:07 PM, JTA66 said:

I had forgotten parts of LA county were also under a blizzard warning earlier this year. They’re having an interesting year weather wise.

Gorgeous here, great day to be out in the yard. 74F/DP 57F

10 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

64F/DP 61F

Things starting to crank in San Diego...

SD.jpg

They had to top it off with a 5.1 earthquake as Hilary was lashing the area.  There were even some dust storms popping up in AZ.

I ended up with my coolest low for August so far - 59 - and made it up to 86 for a high.  I think the high clouds and what was supposedly some wildfire smoke way up high, kept the temp down.  The dp did creep back up into the mid-60s though.  The circadas were going this morning though and I also saw a cicada killer ready to find one too.  :mellow:

Currently partly sunny with some haze and 80, with dp 65804265409_Screenshot2023-08-20181314.thumb.png.b88a0d26109b780bdcd04d07800795c7.png.

1 minute ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

They had to top it off with a 5.1 earthquake as Hilary was lashing the area.  There were even some dust storms popping up in AZ.

I ended up with my coolest low for August so far - 59 - and made it up to 86 for a high.  I think the high clouds and what was supposedly some wildfire smoke way up high, kept the temp down.  The dp did creep back up into the mid-60s though.  The circadas were going this morning though and I also saw a cicada killer ready to find one too.  :mellow:

Currently partly sunny with some haze and 80, with dp 65804265409_Screenshot2023-08-20181314.thumb.png.b88a0d26109b780bdcd04d07800795c7.png.

Aftershocks as well. As far as I know not related to Hilary, just strange timing.

81F/DP 63F

ff.jpg

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Aftershocks as well. As far as I know not related to Hilary, just strange timing.

81F/DP 63F

ff.jpg

Of course not related but can you imagine how many are there who haven't had the experience of a TS (or remnants) and then have an earthquake accompany it?? :lol:   Thing is, if there are road/surface cracks from that plus the rain, it's going to be a mess.

58 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Looks like what's left of Hilary tracked on the far western edge of the predicted cone concentrating the rain near LA and let the Salton Sea off the hook.

WPC seemed to think there would still be hazards associated with it all the way through Wednesday (that latter timeframe further north).  Am thinking that if there is still circulation going, it could pull moisture in bands off the ocean out of the NW as the storm pivots.

Hilary_ero.gif

And speaking of rain, what little I got the past week meant I had to pull out the hose today. :axe:

I am watching the Atlantic that suddenly exploding into being with 2 tropical storms forming and a potential right in the bath water GOM that is about to pop off so will see what happens with at least that one (if it doesn't get sheared apart).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RedSky said:

The region north and west of Santa Monica is getting fire hosed

The terrain (and people) out there aren't use to this much rainfall....then they have to deal mudslides.

Updated my list I want to witness:

1. Tornado/Flying cows

2. Avalanche

3. Mudslide

71F/DP 63F

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Our cooler than normal summer looks to continue as we move toward the end of August. Since June 1st two-thirds or 66% of the days have seen below normal temperatures across Chester County. This upcoming Friday appears to be the only day over the next 7 days to feature above normal readings. Only Thursday looks like a chance of some showers across the area...otherwise dry and cool is the rule.
Records for today: High 99 degrees (1916) / Low 44 (1952) / Rain 2.47" (1937)
image.png.9e85382baed6b819d697f151fbb835e0.png

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Hit 80 for a high yesterday after a low of 61 and decent dps for late August.  Am hoping for some rain too and will see what happens with that big MCS sitting back over OH.

Currently overcast and 68 with dp 62.

What is amazing to me is that last night at 10:05 our time Madison Wisconsin had a heat index of 105 degrees we were sitting at 69 degrees at the same time.  The pattern is well pretty amazing!  I have only had 2 90-degree days here in August so far and it barely hit 90 too during those days.  I cannot wait to see what this pattern looks like in 3-4 months.  We will either have very very cold snow or all the heat across the country and the waters just bleeds out and we see 60s and 50s with rain. 

We picked up .03" of light rain this AM with some more showers and even some t-storms possible tonight into tomorrow AM. The showers should be gone by tomorrow night with another beautiful weekend on the way with near normal temps on Saturday and then below normal by Sunday and Monday.
Records for today: High 94 (1898) / Low 43 (1923) / Rain 1.40" (1945)
image.png.18fdd3808d982f30ac724010ae43acff.png

We picked up 0.53" of rain since last night here in East Nantmeal. More humid today with showers possible through tonight. Clearing for the weekend with lower humidity and back to below normal temperatures by Sunday. Much of the upcoming final week of August looks to be near to below normal. This will result in August finishing with below normal temperatures. In fact this will make 3 of the last 4 months with below normal temperatures. This is the 1st time we have experienced 3 of 4 consecutive months with below normal temps since the 1st 4 months of 2018.
Records for today: High 97 (1909) / Low 40 (1927) / Rain 2.45" (1957)
image.png.bc7ebcb6ccdb76c3fda7974706a81299.png