• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Let's talk ENSO

weatherwiz

I have now included Nov-Mar average snowfall for KBOS for every composite. What was quite surprising while compiling this is that when comparing El Nino vs. La Nina as standalone, KBOS finishes with nearly the same amount of snowfall on average. I know this is only one site but wasn't expecting that. Just further proves that ENSO is one piece to the puzzle.

3 hours ago, It's Always Sunny said:

I have now included Nov-Mar average snowfall for KBOS for every composite. What was quite surprising while compiling this is that when comparing El Nino vs. La Nina as standalone, KBOS finishes with nearly the same amount of snowfall on average. I know this is only one site but wasn't expecting that. Just further proves that ENSO is one piece to the puzzle.

Yea, I don't buy that. Quite certain el nino is snowier here. The vast majority of Boston's snowiest seasons are el nino, save for 1995-1996 and 2010-2011.

5 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I don't buy that. Quite certain el nino is snowier here. The vast majority of Boston's snowiest seasons are el nino, save for 1995-1996 and 2010-2011.

We know weak west Nino’s typically are the best for the Boston area. However we have had some snowy Nina’s that maybe although not block busters…….might cause the results to be not far off. The 60s were solid winters and many were Nina’s. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

We know weak west Nino’s typically are the best for the Boston area. However we have had some snowy Nina’s that maybe although not block busters…….might cause the results to be not far off. The 60s were solid winters and many were Nina’s. 

I understand that it's probably close. I'm not trying to imply that it isn't. I think the main reason that it's close is due to the fact that strong el nino events can be more hostile than strong la nina. However, weaker el nino events are better and that isn't debatable. I'll crunch the numbers for KBOS sometime this week.

Well for KBOS, El Nino edges out La Nina by a seasonal average (Nov-Mar) of only 0.3". WP El Nino (weak Ninos) correlate the best with productive winters for KBOS as said above. For La Nina, the data I compiled has Basin Wide and EP Nina's correlating the best. If we're talking strength, moderate Nina correlates the best by a large margin. Now as we know KBOS gets f*cked by the CF a lot so numbers probably aren't as reliable as say somewhere west of 95 where that isn't as much of a concern. Time allowing I may sample KOWD, KBED or KLWM and see what I get.

1 hour ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Well for KBOS, El Nino edges out La Nina by a seasonal average (Nov-Mar) of only 0.3". WP El Nino (weak Ninos) correlate the best with productive winters for KBOS as said above. For La Nina, the data I compiled has Basin Wide and EP Nina's correlating the best. If we're talking strength, moderate Nina correlates the best by a large margin. Now as we know KBOS gets f*cked by the CF a lot so numbers probably aren't as reliable as say somewhere west of 95 where that isn't as much of a concern. Time allowing I may sample KOWD, KBED or KLWM and see what I get.

• Confused 1

The interesting thing about Ninas vs Ninos is Boston is better off with a super Nina than a moderate Nino, but is also better off with a weak Nino than any Nina (in general based on the data). In practice it’s more complicated than this, it would be interesting to see how the data looks if you break it down by structure, when said enso event peaks, the impact the enso state of the previous winter has, ect.

4 minutes ago, George001 said:

The interesting thing about Ninas vs Ninos is Boston is better off with a super Nina than a moderate Nino, but is also better off with a weak Nino than any Nina (in general based on the data). In practice it’s more complicated than this, it would be interesting to see how the data looks if you break it down by structure, when said enso event peaks, the impact the enso state of the previous winter has, ect.

I am going to develop classification and composite for el nino during the upcoming year, like I have for la nina. East-based el nino is generally more hostile, and I'm sure the data will reveal this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I am going to develop classification and composite for el nino during the upcoming year, like I have for la nina. East-based el nino is generally more hostile, and I'm sure the data will reveal this.

Yeah I've compiled Nino composites and east is most hostile, however basin wide for KBOS is only 1" more between Nov-Mar. Central & west Ninos correlate with most snowfall for KBOS.

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

West Pacific el nino is modoki el nino...what exactly are you distinguishing?

Anything non east based or basin wide is called modoki per research studies i've read, however I've found enough disparity to create a WP el nino, CP el nino & modoki section. For the modoki section, I classified it as where you have cold-neutral anomalies on both sides of warm pool so I made that a thing of it's own. It's my own categorization so there will certainly be some differences on what others had. Also, mine is based in 1991-2020 climo so I'm sure some of these will change once I begin using the appropriate climo periods. Either way, the west and central/modoki ninos correlate the best to higher snowfall like you have i believe. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well with Fiona into Puerto Rico and then Ian things got a bit busy so fell behind a bit on this. But I completed GIFs looking at OLR Anomalies. Last page I posted OLR Anomalies for Weak, Moderate, and Strong/Super-Strong La Nina Winter's. 

West-Based La Nina Winter (DJF) Outgoing Longwave Radiation Anomalies (Using Ensemble ONI):

195761015_WestBasedLaNinaWinterOutgoingLongwaveRadiationAnomalies.gif.9b3a4691eaa76d5ba529a8f688d67211.gif

East-Based La Nina Winter (DJF) Outgoing Longwave Radiation Anomalies (Using Ensemble ONI):

252296067_EastBasedLaNinaWinterOutgoingLongwaveRadiationAnomalies.gif.e2f70850c6d8022f4a9f1feb0b2d9077.gif

Basin-Wide La Nina Winter (DJF) Outgoing Longwave Radiation Anomalies (Using Ensemble ONI):

1732461920_BasinWideLaNinaWinterOutgoingLongwaveRadiationAnomalies.gif.d0935653035ec1dffbc975b28ea2f9a0.gif

Weak West-Based La Nina Winter (DJF) Outgoing Longwave Radiation Anomalies (Using Ensemble ONI + ONI):

481661201_WEAKWE1.GIF.be85c43cea1150f4c419ce786d0e11fd.GIF

Moderate West-Based La Nina Winter (DJF) Outgoing Longwave Radiation Anomalies (Using Ensemble ONI + ONI):

1191428332_MODERA1.GIF.f81998fe159ac4be11303525cf4ec1f5.GIF

Strong/Super-Strong West-Based La Nina Winter (DJF) Outgoing Longwave Radiation Anomalies (Using Ensemble ONI + ONI):

1976.png.28fa682e6c28f44d45a3885f0a21085c.png