• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2022

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was thinking about this the other day and I think, at this point, I will mow less for the entire season than training has probably already done.   Mow #6 this weekend then probably every 10-14 days from there on out so round up and say 3 a month for a total of about 20. 

I mowed last night. Grass was about a uniform 6-7" high. I mowed last Tuesday and Saturday, and after tomorrow's grass washing I'm sure I'll be out either Saturday PM or Sunday to do it again. 

I asked my wife last night how many times does she think I've mowed this year, and she thought about 15-18 times. Probably about right. Only once would I say that I mowed when I probably didn't have to, but that was to prepare for an early spring season potential snowfall. LOL

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was thinking about this the other day and I think, at this point, I will mow less for the entire season than training has probably already done.   Mow #6 this weekend then probably every 10-14 days from there on out so round up and say 3 a month for a total of about 20. 

Nothing wrong with that

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yes, and it's been that way for a few weeks now. 

I'm thinking I'm closer to 20 mows now than 15. 

I figured that was where you were.   If I tried to mow every 3 days I would lose track of the rows.   My neighbors are mowing once a week as well.  Two have these old VERY LOUD riding mowers, especially when they are on pavement turning around, so I know when they mow. LOL.  I think think my elevation plays a role in damaging the grass especially the front yard where there is no shade most of the day. 

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I figured that was where you were.   If I tried to mow every 3 days I would lose track of the rows.   My neighbors are mowing once a week as well.  Two have these old VERY LOUD riding mowers, especially when they are on pavement turning around, so I know when they mow. LOL.  I think think my elevation plays a role in damaging the grass especially the front yard where there is no shade most of the day. 

That makes a lot of sense. Much of my yard is exposed to full sun, and with the rains that I've been getting on a regular basis...

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

With gas prices, one could say I am saving a bit :-).  But frankly would rather have a thick lawn. 

2 years ago i bought a Ryobi 40V push mower. I use it just for trimming and my front yard, which is 45 minutes to an hour alone.  Everything else gets done with my John Deere. It was one of my best purchases

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sauss06 said:

2 years ago i bought a Ryobi 40V push mower. I use it just for trimming and my front yard, which is 45 minutes to an hour alone.  Everything else gets done with my John Deere. It was one of my best purchases

We spoke about this before but my next purchase will be an Ego electric (or similar) as well.   I only have a 1/2 acre of that, the house is on much of it :-). 

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We spoke about this before but my next purchase will be an Ego electric (or similar) as well.   I only have a 1/2 acre of that, the house is on much of it :-). 

we did yes. 

I HIGHLY recommend one. I've since added a Blower and weedwhacker/edger to my Ryobi collection.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

If that depiction played out, I'd be in line for a lot of rain tomorrow at work and at home while @Mount Joy Snowmansits right between those 2 bands in Lanco. LOL

Lock it in?   The Nam's are similar albeit different.   To me, tomorrow looks like a play it by ear possible downpour/severe day. 

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Y'all need to let your grass grow! Natural landscape for birds and bees and all the good stuff earth needs instead of 1/4" Bermuda or whatever. :)

I keep mine at 3".  If it gets to 5-6", I have trouble getting through it.  I thought you were going to tell me about a rock or wild flower yard again :-)

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

I keep mine at 3".  If it gets to 5-6", I have trouble getting through it.  I thought you were going to tell me about a rock or wild flower yard again :-)

I've let clover start taking over our side garden. Clover is awesome, natural groundcover. 

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

I've let clover start taking over our side garden. Clover is awesome, natural groundcover. 

I would not mind if it controlled the yard but most people who just let their yards go end up with hundreds of different "visitors" and your neighbors are not at all happy both for road appeal and the seeds flying into their yards. 

GFS is actually still a pretty cloudy and wet Saturday whether it comes to fruition or not...especially Harrisburg North and East.   Saturday night does dry out and is a windows open sleeper special.  DP's in the upper 40's and temps in the low 50's.   Make up for the not so great windows open stuff coming part of next week. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Looks pretty dry next week.   With rain chances dwindling for Sunday and Monday, I want what I can get. 

Great point. Sun and heat will dry it out real quick. 

58 minutes ago, canderson said:

Y'all need to let your grass grow! Natural landscape for birds and bees and all the good stuff earth needs instead of 1/4" Bermuda or whatever. :)

I don't mow until it's at least 4-5" high. At least. 

Unless snow is coming. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Can you imagine 1/4" grass?  It would die with just one day of heat. 

That's the thing - my yard is susceptible to both extremes. If I get constant rain combined with a largely open yard, it grows like crazy. Remove water from the equation and it's dying in no time.  

• Like 1

1/2 Great news for #MemorialDayWeekend! There's now good agreement between computer models that the upper-level low responsible for tomorrow's heavy thunderstorms will get "absorbed" by the northern branch of the Jet Stream on Saturday.

2/2 This means that even Saturday will turn out fairly nice with partly sunny skies and only an isolated shower or two around. Mostly sunny and warmer conditions return Sunday with highs in the low 80s, and we crank up the heat on #MemorialDay with highs near 90! 

MU Update: 

37 minutes ago, paweather said:

It will interesting to see what the Euro has to say for tomorrow and Saturday. 

It has flipped and flopped this week.  It took over as the doom and gloom model at one point.  In my reading of the big 3, the GFS lead the way in forecasting better conditions after initially being the worst.   FWIW, the Icon was consistent in showing Sun and Mon being dry   Check out this Monday snip for Sunday.  GFS, CMC were both wet at this point and the Euro was about to flop over to wet.   I think MU may take the cake on this one though not totally sold on Sat being partly sunny. 

Capture.JPG

Tue Euro for Sunday. 

image.thumb.png.b69935c91b564ba4ab55eb91da2e62e8.png