• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2022 OBS Thread

Perfectly normal to see the all time snow record set in late April carry on

RECORD EVENT REPORT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY 715 AM EDT WED MAR 15 2017 ...ALL TIME 24 HOUR RECORD SNOWFALL SET AT BINGHAMTON NY... A 24 HOUR RECORD SNOWFALL OCCURRED AT THE GREATER BINGHAMTON AIRPORT FROM MARCH 14TH TO MARCH 15TH. A TOTAL OF 31.3 INCHES OF SNOW FELL BETWEEN 3 AM ON THE 14TH TO 1 AM ON THE 15TH. THIS BREAKS THE PREVIOUS 24 HOUR SNOWFALL RECORD OF 23 INCHES SET IN FEBRUARY 1961.

3 hours ago, RedSky said:

Perfectly normal to see the all time snow record set in late April carry on

RECORD EVENT REPORT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY 715 AM EDT WED MAR 15 2017 ...ALL TIME 24 HOUR RECORD SNOWFALL SET AT BINGHAMTON NY... A 24 HOUR RECORD SNOWFALL OCCURRED AT THE GREATER BINGHAMTON AIRPORT FROM MARCH 14TH TO MARCH 15TH. A TOTAL OF 31.3 INCHES OF SNOW FELL BETWEEN 3 AM ON THE 14TH TO 1 AM ON THE 15TH. THIS BREAKS THE PREVIOUS 24 HOUR SNOWFALL RECORD OF 23 INCHES SET IN FEBRUARY 1961.

Is this a test? It says March 15th 2017. ???

19 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Is this a test? It says March 15th 2017. ???

He may have missed his nap? Misplaced glasses?

PSU received 2.5".  Steve Seman who said any amount of snow over 0.2 inches would be more than State College has experienced this late in Spring since 1993.

https://www.ntnews.com.au/news/national/state-college-pennsylvania-experiences-most-spring-snow-in-29-years/video/c3a165838218bdec05c84bed34e55010

Sun's poking through here decently w/some clouds. May lead to a nice sunset...

47F~High of the day so far...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

You passed no reading glasses required. Borrowed from the New York side Binghamton set April records didn't catch the last date.

Here are their tweets about the records -

SXUS71 KBGM 191515
RERBGM

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON, NY
1115 AM EDT TUE APR 19 2022

...SNOWFALL RECORDS SET AT BINGHAMTON NY...

THE 2 DAY SNOWFALL AS OF 1000 AM IS 14.2 INCHES AT THE GREATER 
BINGHAMTON AIRPORT IN THE TOWN OF MAINE, NY. THIS BREAKS THE ALL 
TIME APRIL RECORD FOR 2 DAY SNOWFALL. THE OLD RECORD WAS 13.6 INCHES 
SET APRIL 15 TO APRIL 16 2007.

THE ONE DAY SNOWFALL SINCE MIDNIGHT LOCAL STANDARD TIME FOR TODAY IS 
11.0 INCHES AS OF 1000 AM. THIS BREAKS THE RECORD SNOWFALL FOR APRIL 
19 OF 6.9 INCHES SET IN 1983. THIS IS ALSO THE LATEST DATE FOR ONE 
DAY SNOWFALL OF AT LEAST 11.0 INCHES ON RECORD.

$$

BJG

FQvBmXZUcAAhwkQ.png

33 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Hey, there's Mitchell! He posted in here a few times before he went to Binghamton.

Yeah I was surprised to see him in that video because I thought he was at Mt. Holly (but then come to think of it, I hadn't seen any AFDs lately by him from Mt. Holly but have seen a few new folks there doing them).

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Yeah I was surprised to see him in that video because I thought he was at Mt. Holly (but then come to think of it, I hadn't seen any AFDs lately by him from Mt. Holly but have seen a few new folks there doing them).

Yeah he moved in Feb. 2018, made the announcement in an AFD.

5 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Yeah he moved in Feb. 2018, made the announcement in an AFD.

Thanks for the reminder!  I have seen several announce retirements or moves in the AFDs, including one recently (I think either at the end of last month or beginning of this month).   I also think Walt Drag did similar with a move.

This is why I prefer the fall to spring. Fall you anticipate colder weather with a hot day thrown in.  Spring in the evil step child teasing you with warm.

I do recall having to re plant tomatoes once in May after a frost killed about 8 or 10 plants.  My Easter flowers I planted on Saturday were dead by Monday am.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Lady Di said:

This is why I prefer the fall to spring. Fall you anticipate colder weather with a hot day thrown in.  Spring in the evil step child teasing you with warm.

I do recall having to re plant tomatoes once in May after a frost killed about 8 or 10 plants.  My Easter flowers I planted on Saturday were dead by Monday am.

Yeah the one thing about fall is that the ground is warm (along with any large bodies of water nearby) so even with chilly cold fronts, the radiation of heat from the ground help neutralize the chill, even during cloudy days.

In spring, the ground is still cold (along with those large bodies of water) and you need that sun to help - at least to get some "spot warmth". :lol:

I got up to 58 today with full sun and some scattered clouds here and there. Currently mostly sunny and 56 with dp 31.

19 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

80F+ Sunday then 50s Wed-Thurs-Fri----Sat?  

56F

All the weather entities have scaled that back to the mid-70s for Sunday.  Mt. Holly noted the potential for a marine layer influence along the coast (which would cool temps a bit inland too), plus the position of the ridge might end up pushing the warmer temps up north to the LV area.

It did turn out to be a nice day today with low humidity and reasonable temps for an early spring day (plus my early lilac is blooming so it made it through the frosts and freezes after budding up during that cold snap). 

I made it up to 69 for a high after a low of 45.  Currently mostly sunny and 68 with dp 33.

20 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

All the weather entities have scaled that back to the mid-70s for Sunday.  Mt. Holly noted the potential for a marine layer influence along the coast (which would cool temps a bit inland too), plus the position of the ridge might end up pushing the warmer temps up north to the LV area.

It did turn out to be a nice day today with low humidity and reasonable temps for an early spring day (plus my early lilac is blooming so it made it through the frosts and freezes after budding up during that cold snap). 

I made it up to 69 for a high after a low of 45.  Currently mostly sunny and 68 with dp 33.

Yeah I'm was going to post this. My area and further N/W will be warmer than Philly and the shoreline may stay in the 50s/low 60s?

Tues rains then a mid week cool down w/ 50s highs for several days...

64F

Ended up a bit warmer than progged overnight possibly due to a deck of clouds (that were also present early this morning meaning being unable to look at the heavily-promoted 4-planet alignment with the moon).  Low was 53 and it's currently mostly cloudy (although about an hour ago, the clouds had broken up a bit but are back) and 60 with dp 37.