Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 24-25th Snowstorm- Observation Thread

On 2/21/2022 at 11:45 AM, tombo82685 said:

These systems are notorious for late in the game warm pushes 

On 2/21/2022 at 9:10 AM, tombo82685 said:

Reason why I’m thinking mix gets to i90. Globals will miss sneaky warm layers as we have seen all winter long. Let’s see what mesos show as we get closer in. Regardless still looks like 4-8” event region wide 

Not bad thoughts from Monday 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

image.thumb.jpeg.0143713c5e92e66b2362fc5ee99cc355.jpegI better be careful about teasing Matt. He might shiv a bitch. God damn, those numbers…..wtf 

Syracuse at nearly half of their usual is nuts. Albany well below half. Binghamton down almost 40% too. This should at least let ENY cash in pretty well.

Only BUF-ROC close to average.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PerintonMan said:

Syracuse at nearly half of their usual is nuts. Albany well below half. Binghamton down almost 40% too. This should at least let ENY cash in pretty well.

Only BUF-ROC close to average.

Yep. 4 winters of well-below normal snowfall (my first winter was on the Tug during one of their worst snowfall winters), 2 consecutive summers with record breaking heat, and record warm falls have made me pretty hissy pissy in terms of Syracuse weather. It's been a bad stretch for a cold/snow lover.

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yep. 4 winters of well-below normal snowfall (my first winter was on the Tug during one of their worst snowfall winters), 2 consecutive summers with record breaking heat, and record warm falls have made me pretty hissy pissy in terms of Syracuse weather. It's been a bad stretch for a cold/snow lover.

Honestly I'm enjoying the summer and the warmer fall (outdoor weather well into October).

My ideal is 6 months of 25 and snow, followed by 6 months of 85 and sun. No in between.

What I can't stand is the s___ like April and November when it's 50 degrees and drizzly.

5 minutes ago, PerintonMan said:

Honestly I'm enjoying the summer and the warmer fall (outdoor weather well into October).

My ideal is 6 months of 25 and snow, followed by 6 months of 85 and sun. No in between.

What I can't stand is the s___ like April and November when it's 50 degrees and drizzly.

The northern Plains would do you well. That's like their kind of climate...can be a bit arid though.

I could do without Spring. For me it's:

November through April - 20s and snow

May through August - mid 60s to mid 70s with blue skies with puffy cumulus clouds, low humidity, gentle breeze and crisp nights in the 40s/50 degrees

September and October - gloriously sunny days with NO WIND and highs in the 50s with lows in the 30s.

The UP of MIchigan would do me well. lol

4 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

That was actually a somewhat normal winter Matt, it just snowed everytime you left lol I recorded 175" in Altmar..

It's actually the last solid year this area has had lol

download (2).png

Thanks for posting. I've looked at that before and have highly doubted the South Redfield totals. It definitely wasn't that much that winter. There was not one substantial lake effect event that winter for the Southern Tug. I think maybe like 2 6 to 10 inch events. (Check lake effect page..lol) There were also many thaws that winter, so a solid snowpack was hard to come by. I remember several times seeing the ground and flooded yards throughout that winter up there.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

The northern Plains would do you well. That's like their kind of climate...can be a bit arid though.

I could do without Spring. For me it's:

November through April - 20s and snow

May through August - mid 60s to mid 70s with blue skies with puffy cumulus clouds, low humidity, gentle breeze and crisp nights in the 40s/50 degrees

September and October - gloriously sunny days with NO WIND and highs in the 50s with lows in the 30s.

The UP of MIchigan would do me well. lol

I was gonna say maybe the Sierras or Colorado for you. Somewhere the elevation produces a lot of snow in winter and mild temps in summer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BGM Blizzard said:

Will be surprised if Bgm keeps the WSW going with the overnight update save maybe Oneida County. Atleast with radar being down they can blame the bust on that and not being able to follow the mix line movement on the coefficient. 

They recently updated it just before 10 (so after seeing those meso runs) and just added the wording of "sleet and freezing rain possible" as well.

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected and possibly sleet and freezing rain.
  Total snow and sleet accumulations of 6 to 10 inches. Total ice
  accumulation of less than a tenth of an inch.

* WHERE...In New York; Onondaga, Madison, Oneida, Cortland,
  Chenango, Otsego, Delaware and Sullivan counties.

* WHEN...From 10 PM this evening to 4 PM Friday.

Main items of note from observations upstream late afternoon into
this evening indicate overall theme of going forecast remains in
tact. Still looks like a bit more QPF occurs in the 06z-09z/1A-4A
time frame over the Southern Tier. Ptype remains a tough diagnostic
issue, mainly in terms of how far north mix will get over
western NY. Overall, seems warm layer is farther north than
expected in Ohio with CLE reporting FZRA as ptype most of the
evening, sometime as a mix or other times exclusively. Initial
signs of this into NY is the wintry mix that is moving across
Southern Tier currently ahead of schedule (see BFD reporting
FZRA now). Another more stout warm layer is expected to lift
across Southern Tier overnight and already introduced more