• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

when did you "officially" have bare ground in the spring?

We lost snow in the open areas by mid March but the woods held onto snow pack until mid April. But if you were doing it by "official" guidelines, then we were down to nothing by mid-March. Those two huge torching rainstorms killed us. I still had over 20" on March 1st.

We lost snow in the open areas by mid March but the woods held onto snow pack until mid April. But if you were doing it by "official" guidelines, then we were down to nothing by mid-March. Those two huge torching rainstorms killed us. I still had over 20" on March 1st.

obviously it goes hand-in-hand with the totals, but that's another memorable aspect of last winter - just the pure longevity of the snowpack. even down here where things dropped off so much earlier in the season the frequency of events was enough to overcome the crap-factor and keep snow around for what felt like the whole winter...be it in piles or wooded areas.

Since most of us are in here... in a short summary what kind of winter are we expecting this year? Will we have a neg NAO like this year?

I think most people are expecting a -NAO. Consensus seems to be we'll have a decent winter with a weak Nina, -QBO/low solar, and -NAO cycle. No one really knows though, that's why weather is fun!

Here was my snowpack:

post-475-0-02321900-1310609992.jpg

yeah there were tracks where jerry was talking about NAM clown maps giving BOS 12 to 16 or whatnot and i was thinking - no way...not with a canal cutter. but sure as sh*t the clown maps would verify. LOL.

Scott and I were discussing how you musn't just consider the track, but also the scale of the mid level features and many of last season's systems were compact and energetic.

oh yeah no doubt. And I think some of the events even ended up stronger and more dynamic than modeled.

It's systems of that ilk that the much maligned NAM handles with more panache than all of the globals, hence the globals were all significantly underdone with respect to that event and the NAM scored the coupe in signaling a HECS.

Scott... Pertaining to every year... does at least one major station in SNE see a 8+ snowstorm? 12+? Whens the last year where a major station in SNE failed to record at least an 8+ snow storm?

Probably '99-'00. I think before that it was '88-'89.

edit: actually I'm not sure what you are asking. If you are asking when was the last time that one SNE station failed to get 8", then it was probably '09-'10 at BDL.

Probably '99-'00. I think before that it was '88-'89.

edit: actually I'm not sure what you are asking. If you are asking when was the last time that one SNE station failed to get 8", then it was probably '09-'10 at BDL.

The question I answered was the last time that all 4 stations failed to get an 8" event.

'99-'00 was a miserable season and seems to fly under the radar when we talk about putrid winters. Just god-awful that winter was.

The question I answered was the last time that all 4 stations failed to get an 8" event.

'99-'00 was a miserable season and seems to fly under the radar when we talk about putrid winters. Just god-awful that winter was.

I like coming into a winter knowing there is at least a chance of an 1888 or 1993 type storm.

Will, is there a site that has the co-op data from Gardner, MA, etc?

Scroll down to "monthly snowfall" on the left and it will give you the snowfall for each season by month

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ma3052

As always keep in mind that a few of the years have incomplete data, but overall their records are pretty good. You can get daily data from the Utah state climate site.

Scroll down to "monthly snowfall" on the left and it will give you the snowfall for each season by month

http://www.wrcc.dri....iMAIN.pl?ma3052

As always keep in mind that a few of the years have incomplete data, but overall their records are pretty good. You can get daily data from the Utah state climate site.

Thanks!

bookmarked

Thanks!

bookmarked

That's probably a great place to look up how YBY might have done in past winters. The coop was at 1,110 feet so not that much higher than you...and of course the next town over from you. Its too bad they no longer take records there. Ashburnham is decent for nowadays, but its definitely a good tick east of you...Gardner was right there.

That's probably a great place to look up how YBY might have done in past winters. The coop was at 1,110 feet so not that much higher than you...and of course the next town over from you. Its too bad they no longer take records there. Ashburnham is decent for nowadays, but its definitely a good tick east of you...Gardner was right there.

lol 1994-1995 15.60" total snowfall...

lol 1994-1995 15.60" total snowfall...

They are missing February 1995 in that total which of course was the only month we got a big storm. I think the real total was probably something around 30-34 inches. Still horrendous though. :lol:

They are missing February 1995 in that total which of course was the only month we got a big storm. I think the real total was probably something around 30-34 inches. Still horrendous though. :lol:

lol I think it was Islip that has a total of 0.0 from December 2003. I guess we have to go with Farmingdale's 20 or so inch total lol.

I figured something was amiss even though it was a terrible season...

If you see a 0.0 total with a "z" next to it, it means they have no data for that month. The old Gardner coop was pretty good but they still have a few scattered in there.

I hope someone at the conference presents a study on Jan 12th, perhaps the best storm variant wise of my life. The ML collapse and consolidation shows almost tornado physical properties

I'll be showing all 3 storms at some point in my presentation.

I'll be showing all 3 storms at some point in my presentation.

Will, maybe you could use the one from Jan 26-27 also, I remember some rotation was detected a few miles south of here on radar just as the second part of the storm got going and there was loud booming thunder and vivid lightning along with thundersleet that eventually changed to thundersnow. It actually did feel like it was hailing as the sleet was marble size and I actually think real hail was reported with this storm (weird to have hail and sleet together along with a possible tornado in a winter storm lol.)