Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

9 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Just need one more win so the Tomlin no losing season streak can continue and we can hear about it for another year, but I don’t see any way it happens in KC.

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Did not check weather but the Steel may need something extracurricular to keep up in the game.  Mahomes has been very squirrelly this year though.   Worse than Dak. 

I was trying to convince my son that the best thing that could happen is for the team to lose out. My fear is will win "just enough" games to continue to justify not making any changes in leadership. The Standard is the Standard is increasingly becoming Sub-Standard. 

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I was trying to convince my son that the best thing that could happen is for the team to lose out. My fear is will win "just enough" games to continue to justify not making any changes in leadership. The Standard is the Standard is increasingly becoming Sub-Standard. 

The best thing that can happen is for the team to win out and get into the playoffs, IMO. But we know that’s not going to happen, and they don’t control their own destiny because of the two blowout losses to Cincy. I think the impending loss to KC should put a fork into any outside shot at the playoffs.

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

The best thing that can happen is for the team to win out and get into the playoffs, IMO. But we know that’s not going to happen, and they don’t control their own destiny because of the two blowout losses to Cincy. I think the impeding loss to KC should put a fork into any outside shot at the playoffs.

I agree...what I said to my son, I was mostly trying to convince myself. LOL 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I agree...what I said to my son, I was mostly trying to convince myself. LOL 

Thing is, 6 of the 7 wins have come against other teams in the playoff hunt. But so have all 6 losses. Incredible that Chicago and Detroit are the only teams we’ve played or will play this year that aren’t in the playoff hunt. Everyone else we’ve played or is currently on our schedule is .500 or better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Boy, you sure are getting a pass on your no winter posts.  

I got snookered in earlier in the week (or last weekend) where I thought the brass ring of cold was within reach. It seems that what cold we're going to have is going to be very limited in time and potency and we're back to kicking the can. 

Y'all can hang me if I'm wrong and I'll be man enough to admit it. My non-scientific, backed-up-by-nothing but being comfortable in shorts in December feeling is that the door is shut already. 

I read in the MA forum that somebody said Joe Bastardi of all people finally cited climate change. It's finished.

37 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

They used to make the puck glow on TV for you...but they put an end to that thankfully.   I will say that if I had tickets to any Bowl games I would be slightly nervous.  Probably not going to cancel but some cities may go overboard and force cancel. 

25 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Probably the most annoying gimmick in televised sports history. I hated that with all my might. 

Forgot all about that nonsense, and completely agree.

That said, fairly early in the stink bug invasion, one got into the TV behind the screen and you could see it while watching hockey (or anything else). I’m pretty sure it was alive in there, so it even moved! Don’t know how many times I confused that bastard(i) with the puck.

13 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

The best thing that can happen is for the team to win out and get into the playoffs, IMO. But we know that’s not going to happen, and they don’t control their own destiny because of the two blowout losses to Cincy. I think the impending loss to KC should put a fork into any outside shot at the playoffs.

I think 2 out of 3 gets them in. I think they have a decent shot at beating Cleveland and Baltimore. 

1 minute ago, dj3 said:

I think 2 out of 3 gets them in. I think they have a decent shot at beating Cleveland and Baltimore. 

You can certainly convince me that they can beat teams they’ve already beaten, again. But that tie against Detroit really hurts, as it renders all of the tie breaking scenarios moot, and winning 2 of 3 would have to come with a fair amount of help.

10 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I got snookered in earlier in the week (or last weekend) where I thought the brass ring of cold was within reach. It seems that what cold we're going to have is going to be very limited in time and potency and we're back to kicking the can. 

Y'all can hang me if I'm wrong and I'll be man enough to admit it. My non-scientific, backed-up-by-nothing but being comfortable in shorts in December feeling is that the door is shut already. 

I read in the MA forum that somebody said Joe Bastardi of all people finally cited climate change. It's finished.

You have every right (obviously) to feel the way that you do, and every right (I believe) to express it. Maybe it's not what others want to read, but every opinion is worth sharing. 

I wasn't going to share this, but you sort of "inspired" me to do so - there is a met on the west coast, he's not on here and not nationally known. He is however; revered by Sierra ski industry as a legendary expert on pattern recognition and forecasting. His name is Howard Sheckter, he is both the premier weather guy in CA as well a real estate agent, ha. At any rate, he feels very strongly that the MJO will remain stuck in 7, and he believes that the trough will remain in the west (and ridging in the east) through at least the middle of January. Of course, his thoughts are just one of many and he certainly could be wrong, but I've been reading this guy's thoughts for years and I'll just say that he's right far more often than he's wrong. 

As with most things in life...time will tell. 

14 minutes ago, dj3 said:

I think they'll likely finish 9-7-1. I do now think they'll beat CLE and BAL - I'm convinced that will be enough. A lot of teams at 8-6/7-7 right now. 

11 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

You can certainly convince me that they can beat teams they’ve already beaten, again. But that tie against Detroit really hurts, as it renders all of the tie breaking scenarios moot, and winning 2 of 3 would have to come with a fair amount of help.

The Training game will might define the season for the Black and Gold. If they fail to reach the postseason, all eyes will reflect back to Detroit first and foremost. 

13 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

The easiest path to getting in might actually be the division. Root for the bengals to lose 2 of 3 and us win 2 of 3 should leave us in first. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I think they'll likely finish 9-7-1. I do now think they'll beat CLE and BAL - I'm convinced that will be enough. A lot of teams at 8-6/7-7 right now. 

I agree and to your point earlier I'm not sure if it is better for them to be a fringe playoff team rather than have gone in the tank. But now that we are where we are I'd rather them just make the playoffs as I don't think it would make more than a few spots difference in the draft. Will be interesting to see where they decide to address in the first round. None of the Quarterbacks are projected to go very high at this point and I think they have holes to fill on the offensive line and several spots on defense. 

3 minutes ago, dj3 said:

The easiest path to getting in might actually be the division. Root for the bengals to lose 2 of 3 and us win 2 of 3 should leave us in first. 

Fact is every team in the division is facing a daunting last 3 games, so if I squint really hard I can see this scenario. And winning the division gives us a home playoff game against another fringe playoff team, because let’s face it, everyone in the AFC except the Chiefs is a fringe playoff team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dj3 said:

I agree and to your point earlier I'm not sure if it is better for them to be a fringe playoff team rather than have gone in the tank. But now that we are where we are I'd rather them just make the playoffs as I don't think it would make more than a few spots difference in the draft. Will be interesting to see where they decide to address in the first round. None of the Quarterbacks are projected to go very high at this point and I think they have holes to fill on the offensive line and several spots on defense. 

BTW, I mistyped my post - I meant to say that I was NOT convinced that 9-7-1 would be enough. 

You're right about the draft, it's not a QB draft like last year was. Our mistake was not prioritizing the QB need the past several seasons. Now, here we are at a crossroads and the well to draft from is pretty dry. Might need to package a few players in a trade at this point. 

I'd love to see them beef up the OL and get back to pounding the ball. Like Penn State, we just can't run the ball effectively. That bothers me.