Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 16-17th Boom or Bust

Wurbus

17 minutes ago, Dsty2001 said:

Any clue why the models are having so a hard time with this?  Matter of fact, seems like they've been struggling for the last year or two

Looks more or less tilted,its why you see all these wild jumps here to there.Models are having a hard time trying to pin point where the actual low is going to be

What I find funny is everybody around my area is convinced we are getting a 93 repeat, and all I can do is shake my head and ask where the heck they are getting that information from.  Interesting enough a local news station was saying up to a foot is possible which threw me aback, the models don't seem to be in any agreement right now and honestly I don't think we will know for sure to right before the event starts

@AMZ8990 is the 6z RGEM winner:

8fKCdbf.png

6z GFS seemed to take a really nice energy pass:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611e83adc23aafc2a6ccc

and we get a 999 low just south of Atlanta, but the 850 low still makes a run at the eastern valley. However, the 850 low has been trending SE the past 4 runs:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c27ecfcc649c2fcbc9

if we could get that 850 low to round the Apps, that would be nice. But as it stands this AM, on the GFS at least, that is ne Bueno for areas that would get downsloping from the Apps and be impacted by a piece of the low trying to slide up the eastern valley. 

6z GEFS looks like it tries to have a few members be straight up Miller As, but the majority are still these Miller B messes:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76117ec16f8eeb0019dc8b

but like Tellico said last night, those members don't quite get the precip back over the Apps. 

6z NAM looks like it is a little further south than the GFS, but still sends some energy up the valley.

• Thanks 2

I normally wouldn't use the NAM at range, but that is a major winter storm on 6z - ice, sleet, snow.  I got up this AM, and was expecting the "poof" deal.  Just looking at modeling, this is a significant winter storm north of I-40.  I The NAM actually keeps the primary slp along the GOM.   I do think the warm nose is going to be a problem, especially in the eastern valley.  

So, my expectations are low...but this looks like a mess IMBY.  Let's take a minute and look at timing.  In the eastern valley, the GFS warm nose moves through in the very early morning ours while it is dark.  I can tell you from experience, that brings all kinds of headaches.  The low passes to our southeast during the morning hours Sunday.  The Euro is slightly slower.  One would think the Euro would have more mixing issues....but it has less.

The 6z Euro is rolling.  Colder through 63.

• Like 3

So Euro/Ukie are on one side and NAM/GFS are further north at this point?  I'm wondering if any model will nail this as complex as the system seems to be, how often does a system come down from the upper midwest, hit the gulf and bounce NE?

I don’t think they are that far apart and all of them has trended south some the last 24

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic