Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

6 out of the last 8 years here had accumulating snow after today's date, 2021 and 2017 being the odd ones out. With troughiness on the EPS right through the end of the month, I'd say it's pretty much a lock that we will see additional measurable snow.

We get crushed on the 6z GFS in the beginning of April.  Lock it up. 

• Like 1

Well, it looks like the trees and assorted other flora are about to leaf out any minute now. Unfortunately, if the chatter about colder and possibly whiter rather than wetter around the end of the month is right I'm foreseeing a situation like 4/1/97 but I can't imagine anything like 17" in a few hours this time around. Trees down, no power for a few days and lots of manual labor to clean up afterwards. I really don't feel like going through that again being 25 years older...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Well, it looks like the trees and assorted other flora are about to leaf out any minute now. Unfortunately, if the chatter about colder and possibly whiter rather than wetter around the end of the month is right I'm foreseeing a situation like 4/1/97 but I can't imagine anything like 17" in a few hours this time around. Trees down, no power for a few days and lots of manual labor to clean up afterwards. I really don't feel like going through that again being 25 years older...

There’s no lock on any significant snows but it won’t matter, it’s gonna get cold again, all the guidance has that. 

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

It wasnt weather impacted or caused but today is the 50 year anniversary of the Nyack High School bus/train accident.

I'm not sure if I shared this before or not, but that tragedy is very much related to my work.  As a result of that terrible day the Article 19-A Vehicle and Traffic Law was created, making buses and bus service in New York the safest in the Country.  Part of my work is related to making sure the bus operators we deal with are following Article 19-A properly.  As my Old Man used to say (he had 40+ years in Fire Protection and Code Enforcement) all those building codes, fire safety codes, etc. that people complain about were created out of tragedies and when a home owner would gripe or a student would ask a question he could usually tell the story of the fire or incident that lead to that specific law or requirement.       

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I'm not sure if I shared this before or not, but that tragedy is very much related to my work.  As a result of that terrible day the Article 19-A Vehicle and Traffic Law was created, making buses and bus service in New York the safest in the Country.  Part of my work is related to making sure the bus operators we deal with are following Article 19-A properly.  As my Old Man used to say (he had 40+ years in Fire Protection and Code Enforcement) all those building codes, fire safety codes, etc. that people complain about were created out of tragedies and when a home owner would gripe or a student would ask a question he could usually tell the story of the fire or incident that lead to that specific law or requirement.       

Yup. 2 of the (probably the top 2 actually) most significant fires to alter or create new codes and laws both happened on tomorrow’s date as well. 

36 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Yup. 2 of the (probably the top 2 actually) most significant fires to alter or create new codes and laws both happened on tomorrow’s date as well. 

Triangle Shirtwaist Factory and Happyland.  The Old Man often referred to the Coconut Grove Fire and when he was doing school inspections, as a side job, the Our Lady of the Angels School fire.  Some teachers would get upset if they were told they couldn't store something in the wrong spot (like hallway or stairwell) or hang their own curtain on classroom windows.  When they would protest and ask him why he would ask them if you knew what happened in Chicago on 12/1/58.  Of course they didn't know and he would explain that 92 students and 3 teachers died in a school fire and it was his job to make sure that didn't happen again.  He also would like to point out that when a fire/building inspector does a good job no one knows it...because nothing bad happens.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Triangle Shirtwaist Factory and Happyland.  The Old Man often referred to the Coconut Grove Fire and when he was doing school inspections, as a side job, the Our Lady of the Angels School fire.  Some teachers would get upset if they were told they couldn't store something in the wrong spot (like hallway or stairwell) or hang their own curtain on classroom windows.  When they would protest and ask him why he would ask them if you knew what happened in Chicago on 12/1/58.  Of course they didn't know and he would explain that 92 students and 3 teachers died in a school fire and it was his job to make sure that didn't happen again.  He also would like to point out that when a fire/building inspector does a good job no one knows it...because nothing bad happens.  

Good afternoon Rob. I was eleven years old attending St Ephrems elementary school in Dyker Heights Brooklyn. I remember the pictures of the fire in the Daily News and Mirror tabloids. My mom talking to a neighbor about reports of children, in an effort to escape the smoke and flames, being rolled down the building stairs by teachers. I remember a picture of a father, just recovering from eye surgery, can like goggles covering his eyes, mourning the loss of his child, knowing that tears could damage the 1950’s surgical results. We did fire drills right after that tragedy. Fire/Building Inspectors unsung but undoubtably the saviors of many, many lives. As always …

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rclab said:

Good afternoon Rob. I was eleven years old attending St Ephrems elementary school in Dyker Heights Brooklyn. I remember the pictures of the fire in the Daily News and Mirror tabloids. My mom talking to a neighbor about reports of children, in an effort to escape the smoke and flames, being rolled down the building stairs by teachers. I remember a picture of a father, just recovering from eye surgery, can like goggles covering his eyes, mourning the loss of his child, knowing that tears could damage the 1950’s surgical results. We did fire drills right after that tragedy. Fire/Building Inspectors unsung but undoubtably the saviors of many, many lives. As always …

Hi Rich!  As a child is was always a treat when Dad would set up either the slide or film projector.  Sometimes we'd watch family things but often is was fire related stuff.  I had this film pretty much memorized as a kid and I was pleasantly surprised to just find it on YouTube but it won't let me post it here because it says something about age restriction but this is the title if anyone is looking to kill some time and the link doesn't work:

Fire In America! - The Lessons Learned in 25 Major Fires In US History (1621-1981) 

• Thanks 1

http://www.barryfurey.com/buscrash.html?fbclid=IwAR2s-v5yCiXON4FQkFkhGbOTFOu9gNFCknrHWqL1wqjOm56QqI2Afe5nD0c

If you were a kid from 6 to 18 in any Rockland county school that day you still remember it like it happened yesterday. It was chilling as the news spread throughout school. You couldn’t really believe it happened like you were hearing it. Remember no cell phones, internet or social media of any kind. Just your young mind trying to process what seemed unthinkable. 

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

That line of mixed precip coming at us from the SW looks like it might mean business for a little while. Will it still be as significant as it looks now when it gets here? When will it get here?

That will vaporize before it gets here with the ridge cresting over the area. In all likelihood, we're dry until late tomorrow night.

(edit: ninja'd by Rob)

• Haha 3

On 3/25/2022 at 3:38 AM, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

http://www.barryfurey.com/buscrash.html?fbclid=IwAR2s-v5yCiXON4FQkFkhGbOTFOu9gNFCknrHWqL1wqjOm56QqI2Afe5nD0c

If you were a kid from 6 to 18 in any Rockland county school that day you still remember it like it happened yesterday. It was chilling as the news spread throughout school. You couldn’t really believe it happened like you were hearing it. Remember no cell phones, internet or social media of any kind. Just your young mind trying to process what seemed unthinkable. 

Barry Furey I remember when going thru fire training in Rockland county back in the 70’s. Great guy.

• Like 1