Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

53 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Sweet pics. Always nice to get on the board and get the monkey off your back.

These "surprise" snows will never ever get old.  Sure there were signals for it to be decent (in fact models did have some heavier QPF bullseyes nearby) but you sort of toss that stuff for a lighter fare event.  I don't know, there was nothing that said it would rip snow for like 4-5 hours straight of 1"/hr or even more at times at higher elevations.  I figured it would be like yesterday where one squall comes through and whitens stuff up, but not the consistent barrage.

I love snowfall like this so much more than the events you track for like a week straight, stressing over model runs, ha.  Just stuff where you think a dusting to an inch but it turns into an actual event.

• Like 3

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.28” L.E.

After just 0.02” of liquid in the gauge this morning at observations time, today’s snow brought another 0.26” to add some oomph to this event.  We certainly got some good whitening of the area this afternoon, but accumulations were transient down at our elevation and 0.2” is the most I saw here at our site.  The precipitation did start out as some rain and mix this morning before changing over to all snow, but I don’t really have a split on the bit of precipitation on the front end that might have been rain, so I’m just rolling all the L.E. into the snow.

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.26 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 0.8

Snow Density: 130.0% H2O

Temperature: 34.3 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 0”

43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Graupel is like adding hail to snow accumulations. Just seems false. 

I'd disagree (shocking, ha)... but to me it's very much a cold season precipitation type vs. hail.  I think it stands out more this time of year, but in the land of squalls, FROPAs, etc we do see graupel at times all season long.  I mean if I woke up to a couple tenths of wind-blown dippin' dots on the windshield, I'd know it precipitated and it was frozen.  Often see in more unstable upslope events that those small white balls can make up a decent amount of the accumulation.

I do get this time of year it seems borderline to call it "snow" accumulation.  But it is included at other times of the season on the other hand.

Just now, powderfreak said:

I'd disagree (shocking, ha)... but to me it's very much a cold season precipitation type vs. hail.  I think it stands out more this time of year, but in the land of squalls, FROPAs, etc we do see graupel at times all season long.  I mean if I woke up to a couple tenths of wind-blown dippin' dots on the windshield, I'd know it precipitated and it was frozen.  Often see in more unstable upslope events that those small white balls can make up a decent amount of the accumulation.

I do get this time of year it seems borderline to call it "snow" accumulation.  But it is included at other times of the season on the other hand.

When it briefly tries to coat but melts 5 minutes later, I’d probably say trace. 

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

These "surprise" snows will never ever get old.  Sure there were signals for it to be decent (in fact models did have some heavier QPF bullseyes nearby) but you sort of toss that stuff for a lighter fare event.  I don't know, there was nothing that said it would rip snow for like 4-5 hours straight of 1"/hr or even more at times at higher elevations.  I figured it would be like yesterday where one squall comes through and whitens stuff up, but not the consistent barrage.

I love snowfall like this so much more than the events you track for like a week straight, stressing over model runs, ha.  Just stuff where you think a dusting to an inch but it turns into an actual event.

I guess this is one where we have both the lakes and the mountains to thank for that classic 255-260° hookup that was rolling initially, and of course there was some WNW flow later as well.  The minor waves/disturbances did their part too, but the whole thing probably wouldn’t have amounted to a hill of beans were it not for the lakes and mountains.  I haven’t quite found an image for that hookup yet, but I did find one to give the spine some props.

FeelTheMagicOfTheMountains.jpg.40f55f32171f95d1485834088e8ebc86.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Maybe you’ll have the opportunity to see the tenor of another shot soon.  I figured this overall event was generally winding down today, but I saw on the models, most obvious in the mesoscale realm, that there’s another pulse of moisture in play that should be something to watch into tomorrow morning.  There’s a ~260° connection off Ontario that’s most obvious on the 3K and 12K NAM.  It varies from model to model, but it’s enough to get into the near term BTV NWS AFD:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

735 AM EDT Thu Nov 4 2021

NEAR TERM /THROUGH FRIDAY/...

As of 735 AM EDT Thursday...another round of lake effect precipitation is expected later this afternoon as an upper level disturbance moves through. Not anticipating as widespread areal coverage as yesterday, nor as intense showers, given weaker instability and lack of unidirectional wind shear....regardless though a few scattered rain/snow showers mainly for the Adirondacks and into the northern VT area expected this afternoon/evening. Light snow accumulations are likely over the higher terrain (less than one inch) with mainly rain or trace amounts of snow for the valleys. Temps will continue below normal across the area today with highs in the low to mid 40s.

I mean you gotta if you want to compete with your neighbor’s snow depths in April/May :lol:.

What that did remind me of is that’s how Stowe’s terrain on Mansfield can be but on a huge scale… NE aspects with something blocking direct sun above.  It’s like a much smaller scale of the Mansfield Stake, doesn’t see direct sunlight for like 5 months lol.