• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York- Meteorological Fall

Sams ACE is up to 44.3, if it hits 51 it would put it into the top 10 all time of ACE in the Atlantic. 

http://tropical.atmos.colostate.edu/Realtime/index.php?loc=northatlantic

Storm Year Peak classification ACE Duration
Hurricane Ivan 2004
Category 5 hurricane
70.4 23 days
Hurricane Irma 2017
Category 5 hurricane
64.9 13 days
Hurricane Isabel 2003
Category 5 hurricane
63.3 14 days
Hurricane Donna 1960
Category 4 hurricane
57.6 16 days
Hurricane Carrie 1957
Category 4 hurricane
55.8 21 days
Hurricane Inez 1966
Category 4 hurricane
54.6 21 days
Hurricane Luis 1995
Category 4 hurricane
53.5 16 days
Hurricane Allen 1980
Category 5 hurricane
52.3 12 days
Hurricane Esther 1961
Category 5 hurricane
52.2 18 days
Hurricane Matthew 2016
Category 5 hurricane
50.9 12 days

23 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Sizzle Sizzle (for this time of year), especially as you head farther S/W..

weatherstory (30).gif

weatherstory (2).jpg

Checked the conditions for subtropical Syracuse and see the $+@-@(**"'#_ SW winds kicked in and the temp immediately skyrocketed 7 degrees in an hour and 14 degrees in the past 2 hours. I am so over this furnace of a city. Lol

Screenshot_20211002-104721.png

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; this weather is awesome.

Compared to Tennessee, I can imagine! It's sort of the known-curse I have that wherever I move warms up and becomes snowless. I am a hardcore cold weather person. We joke that I ruined the winters of CNY because they have been less than spectacular (compared to normal) since I moved here.

As a southerner, this probably feels cool to you, but this is well above normal for those of us who are used to what-used-to-be a cooler, northern climate.

13 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Nashville's weather looks tropical for the foreseeable future. Yuck. 

735550516_nashvillehot.thumb.JPG.8eed10c4c6573956b2f8ca0d0cf9e976.JPG

When you think about how many hundreds of miles farther north we are...our forecast doesn't look much different or cooler, especially at night. To me, that just shows the absurdity of it all 

Screenshot_20211002-113544.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Looks like you want a warm Oct/early Nov in the Northeast to get a good winter.

Would be totally fine by me. Let’s enjoy some 60s and 70s until Veterans Day and then flip the switch to big time cold and snow. Keeps the lakes warm and primed and we can all enjoy some extended time doing outdoor activities. Sign me up in a heartbeat. Cold and below normal temps now don’t do much for us except for make us miserable in the 40s and 50s with rain, maybe a mangled flake or two in a couple weeks on the highest hilltops. I’ll pass and save the cold and below normal temps for when averages are 10-15 degrees colder a month or so from now so below normal will get us actual accumulating snow. 

• Like 2

Brutal cold in Antarctica, impressive even for the coldest place on Planet Earth. In fact, this was the most severe cold season on record for the South Pole

The end of September came close to the world record for lowest temperature in October (-80°C).

The all-time global cold record is −89.2 °C (−128.6°F) from Vostok Station on 21 July 1983.

The Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station experienced the coldest average temperature for April to September in 2021 on record. Records date back to 1957. (Richard Cullather/British Antarctic Survey)'. This information has been fact-checked and verified.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Would be totally fine by me. Let’s enjoy some 60s and 70s until Veterans Day and then flip the switch to big time cold and snow. Keeps the lakes warm and primed and we can all enjoy some extended time doing outdoor activities. Sign me up in a heartbeat. Cold and below normal temps now don’t do much for us except for make us miserable in the 40s and 50s with rain, maybe a mangled flake or two in a couple weeks on the highest hilltops. I’ll pass and save the cold and below normal temps for when averages are 10-15 degrees colder a month or so from now so below normal will get us actual accumulating snow. 

Good point...how about mid 60s for highs and mid 40s for lows throughout the month of October? I'd be ok with that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Well I'll have to gree to disagree lol I don't know why anyone would want to go from summer to winter, fall is by far one of the nicest seasons lol Let's keep the lakes warm so anyone near it can torch to mid December lol 

The warm lake didn’t do much for the October storm. Heavy snow all over including beach. It does have a little affect but not too much. You want Warm lakes when the real cold hits.

• Like 1

Well I hear that every year but yet to see any  correlation between warm falls and snowier winters.. Year after year we are above average month after month yet we continue to have below average snowfall.. Lake Ontario lake temps don't control the upper level pattern, without frequent cold outbreaks, a warm lake is meaningless...

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Well I hear that every year but yet to see any  correlation between warm falls and snowier winters.. Year after year we are above average month after month yet we continue to have below average snowfall.. Lake Ontario lake temps don't control the upper level pattern, without plenty of cold outbreaks, a warm lake is meaningless...

This. Doesn't seem to matter what the indices are or what months are warm anymore to really make a prediction about the upcoming winters...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Well I hear that every year but yet to see any  correlation between warm falls and snowier winters.. Year after year we are above average month after month yet we continue to have below average snowfall.. Lake Ontario lake temps don't control the upper level pattern, without frequent cold outbreaks, a warm lake is meaningless...

Oh I definitely agree warm winters do not equal above average snow. I was just mentioning warm Octobers have a small correlation to above average snowfall years. We don't want colder than average Oct/Nov because then we usually get warmer than average Dec-Feb. Its true that colder than average winters equate to above average snowfall years. The only thing warmer waters do for us off Erie is keep the possibility of a big LES event. Once we have a frozen lake that goes away. For those off Ontario it doesn't matter.

• Like 3

Awesome weather day today!  Maybe a little warm but had a nice time taking the kids apple picking in Collins.  Spent the afternoon cutting back the gardens and starting to look at some winter prep.  Saw a few colors started to pop up in the hills but overall still pretty green right now.  

Too bad we couldn’t have a repeat weather day tomorrow for the game…

A2AD52D0-1152-4FB5-9865-17A954336FD2.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Awesome weather day today!  Maybe a little warm but had a nice time taking the kids apple picking in Collins.  Spent the afternoon cutting back the gardens and starting to look at some winter prep.  Saw a few colors started to pop up in the hills but overall still pretty green right now.  

Too bad we couldn’t have a repeat weather day tomorrow for the game…

A2AD52D0-1152-4FB5-9865-17A954336FD2.jpeg

Awald farms? We were there this morning with the kids getting pumpkins. Definitely a little more color change there than at my house and it’s only about 15 minutes away. Was an absolutely fantastic day out today. Don’t mind another few weeks of this at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Awald farms? We were there this morning with the kids getting pumpkins. Definitely a little more color change there than at my house and it’s only about 15 minutes away. Was an absolutely fantastic day out today. Don’t mind another few weeks of this at all. 

Not far from there... went to Stonehill Orchard on Shirley Road.  Took the back roads through Boston to get back up to the 219... just some incredible land up there.  had to go buy a lotto ticket, would be a dream to have a house up on one of those hills with a nice overlooking view.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Not far from there... went to Stonehill Orchard on Shirley Road.  Took the back roads through Boston to get back up to the 219... just some incredible land up there.  had to go buy a lotto ticket, would be a dream to have a house up on one of those hills with a nice overlooking view.  

My wifes dad has 10 acres out in Boston on a private lake. My retirement plan is to eventually build a house on that land.

• Like 2