Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 31-February 2, 2021 Major Winter Storm Observations

Ralph Wiggum

25 minutes ago, WarrenCtyWx said:

I'm puzzled by some of those measurements. There was a report of 31.3" by a trained spotter literally a mere 2 miles from my house. I don't think we ever had more than 20-22" on the ground at one time here. Even taking compaction into account, it seems like such a considerable difference.

In a long duration event like this one, melting, sublimation, wind and compaction ongoing during the event can help maintain a decent disparity between snow depth and total snowfall.  

Personally, I am not a trained spotter, but I am a vigilant and am fairly precise while attempting to follow the NWS guidelines for snow measurement. I am long time winter weather enthusiast and strive to maintain accurate records for posterity. Interestingly enough, my personal experience in this storm sounds very similar to what you described above. I measured a storm total of 30.3” at my location.  I later learned that a trained spotter from the same municipality reported 30.5” from the event. I also happened to record a time lapse video for the duration of the event, focused on my snow stake which shows 1 inch increments up to 24”.  The snow depth at the stake never quite made it to 22”.  

While there may be some exaggeration out there and even intentional misrepresentation of snowfall figures, I think most folks on this and similar forums do an honorable job in reporting their totals.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MGorse said:

We found out a trained spotter in Sussex County NJ cleared their snowboard to frequently which resulted in a higher amount, so we did not use that report. 

Our ABE snow observer is very thorough and we trust the measurements. The official airport measurements are taken every 6 hours and the board is cleared. 

Thank you for taking the time to post that info.  For the record, I'm very familiar with how the measurements are taken as well as what's involved in being designated a "trained spotter." I used to work at the NWS myself way back in the mid '90's.  

Let me clarify, my own personal opinion that it's highly likely ABE received more than the official 27.3" amount is based primarily on my own observation of the snowfall rates and accumulations that occurred in Easton...while seeing similar returns on radar at ABE throughout Tuesday (2/2/21).

Consequently, I can't conceptualize how ABE could've legitimately only received a total of 0.4" from midnight on 2/2/21 through 9 am on 2/3/21...despite a total of 23 "light snow" hourly obs during that time period.

All that aside, I want to convey my appreciation for the excellent job you and your office did during this particular event!  

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Let me clarify, my own personal opinion that it's highly likely ABE received more than the official 27.3" amount is based primarily on my own observation of the snowfall rates and accumulations that occurred in Easton...while seeing similar returns on radar at ABE throughout Tuesday (2/2/21).

Consequently, I can't conceptualize how ABE could've legitimately only received a total of 0.4" from midnight on 2/2/21 through 9 am on 2/3/21...despite a total of 23 "light snow" hourly obs during that time period.

Totally agree

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Thanks for the info...I always wondered how this worked.

I think a number or reports also come from members of CoCoRaHS - https://www.cocorahs.org/

They have a series of "how-to" videos for measuring various types of precipitation including snow, that follows the standard protocols -

I expect that the more serious dedicated ones will then go on and attend the NWS Spotter training course (when available).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Boreal said:

In a long duration event like this one, melting, sublimation, wind and compaction ongoing during the event can help maintain a decent disparity between snow depth and total snowfall.  

Personally, I am not a trained spotter, but I am a vigilant and am fairly precise while attempting to follow the NWS guidelines for snow measurement. I am long time winter weather enthusiast and strive to maintain accurate records for posterity. Interestingly enough, my personal experience in this storm sounds very similar to what you described above. I measured a storm total of 30.3” at my location.  I later learned that a trained spotter from the same municipality reported 30.5” from the event. I also happened to record a time lapse video for the duration of the event, focused on my snow stake which shows 1 inch increments up to 24”.  The snow depth at the stake never quite made it to 22”.  

While there may be some exaggeration out there and even intentional misrepresentation of snowfall figures, I think most folks on this and similar forums do an honorable job in reporting their totals.

So how did you measure it -- once every 6 hours?

5 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I think a number or reports also come from members of CoCoRaHS - https://www.cocorahs.org/

They have a series of "how-to" videos for measuring various types of precipitation including snow, that follows the standard protocols -

I expect that the more serious dedicated ones will then go on and attend the NWS Spotter training course (when available).

I would highly recommend those interested attend those spotter training classes.  They've been around a very long time and are a huge asset to the various NWS offices.  

Not to be confrontational, unintentionally with anyone, getting a spotter certification doesn't automatically correspond to accurate measurements being that I've often seen spurious totals being sent to the NWS...as I'm sure many of you, too, have noticed.  My guess is the human tendency for a few to exaggerate those amounts.   

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

16 hours ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Thank you for taking the time to post that info.  For the record, I'm very familiar with how the measurements are taken as well as what's involved in being designated a "trained spotter." I used to work at the NWS myself way back in the mid '90's.  

All that aside, I want to convey my appreciation for the excellent job you and your office did during this particular event!  

Easton is obviously not ABE. Like I said before, the reliability of the ABE snow observer is very good.

Thank you for the kind words regarding my office. We strive to do the best we can. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone in this excellent sub forum! I enjoyed the discussion here during my recent chase event in the area.  Finally put together a relatively short video summarization of that historic event; link provided below.   

Based on all the information I could find, it appears that the 36.1” measurement obtained in Nazareth correlates to the largest single storm total ever recorded in the Lehigh Valley.    

• Like 4

6 hours ago, The Iceman said:

how long did it take you to shovel all that out when you slid off the road? great video man! 

Thank you very much for the kind words!  It took me about an hour.  I had slide way off the interstate.  I deserved it since I was driving too fast for those conditions, foolishly.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

10 hours ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Hi everyone in this excellent sub forum! I enjoyed the discussion here during my recent chase event in the area.  Finally put together a relatively short video summarization of that historic event; link provided below.   

Based on all the information I could find, it appears that the 36.1” measurement obtained in Nazareth correlates to the largest single storm total ever recorded in the Lehigh Valley.    

Nice video Tony! I enjoyed all of it, thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Thank you very much for the kind words!  It took me about an hour.  I had slide way off the interstate.  I deserved it since I was driving too fast for those conditions, foolishly.  

I chased that storm to Allentown originally the day of part 1. However the NAM had me nervous  so I decided to go to Dover NJ (N NJ)...I did really well 24+ (not sure exact official amount)...When did you originally drive up for the system? Was this area your first call to go to? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Wow that's not bad time at all. When I saw how deep that was, I was like damn that's going to take forever to dig out. Glad you made it out okay and that the slide didn't result in anything serious. I've been in similar situations driving a bit too fast for the conditions since I have a jeep and sometimes, also foolishly, think I can handle anything mother nature can throw at me... you live and learn though! Also it was good to see someone stop and offer to help even if you were pretty much done at that point. Pa hospitality can be hit or miss at times :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Birds~69 said:

Great video!

Yeah, this would have been a good one to chase considering I live less than hour away. Never thought they would receive 3 feet.... 

I feel the same way, this was a historic storm for the region but it didn't feel that way because my backyard got relatively jipped. Was more a MECS imby and while memorable for the length, the intensity wasn't anything special. Would have been sick to be in the ccb like the video. I won't make the mistake again of just staying put and hoping for the best imby, I'm chasing the jackpot if it is within a couple hour drive... Wentzy I'm following you next time :lol:

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

4 hours ago, Wentzadelphia said:

I chased that storm to Allentown originally the day of part 1. However the NAM had me nervous  so I decided to go to Dover NJ (N NJ)...I did really well 24+ (not sure exact official amount)...When did you originally drive up for the system? Was this area your first call to go to? 

Hi Wentz!  My wife’s parents live in Lancaster, PA...so I drove there through the night of January 31, into the morning of February 1.  Took a quick nap and left their house around 1230 pm, driving through Reading and on into Allentown.  From there, I was just watching the radar to see where I felt the CCB was going to pivot...which led me to Easton.  

You definitely picked a great location! I recall the PNS listing a 35.1” total for Mt. Arlington, NJ (which would apparently be a record for the state)...which is less than 5 miles to the NW of Dover.  If accurate, it’s likely you also saw totals upwards of 30”, if not possibly a little more? 

Don’t want to monopolize the thread, but do want to personally thank all of you for the thoughtful posts regarding the video.  Since I’ve yet to do so, I wish to convey my genuine appreciation for the kind words offered by both Kamu and Birds, as well! 

I will continue to monitor this thread...while rooting for all of you to get some additional snow this season.  

• Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1