• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Texas Winter 2021

I only got another 1.2" of snow from overnight, so my total is 4.6" over these two events. I am considering myself very fortunate, as my power hasn't gone out at any point over these past few days. I'm not sure what's sparing me, as friends living only a mile away have been having their power going on and off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cstrunk said:

Heavy sleet and freezing rain now coming down in Longview. The back side of the precip is not moving much at all. Temperature is 24F. Not good...

Barely anything since early morning in Hideaway. Back edge has ease ever so slowly east. The Central Texas batch may get us. Not sure on precip type with that but I assume sleet.

12 minutes ago, aggiegeog said:

Barely anything since early morning in Hideaway. Back edge has ease ever so slowly east. The Central Texas batch may get us. Not sure on precip type with that but I assume sleet.

On the DFW radar, new precip seems to be developing SW of Tyler. You may get in on some of that action. Doesn't seem too heavy yet, but may become so as it heads NE. Looks to keep me in some precip for a while this afternoon, yet. Probably sleet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cstrunk said:

On the DFW radar, new precip seems to be developing SW of Tyler. You may get in on some of that action. Doesn't seem too heavy yet, but may become so as it heads NE. Looks to keep me in some precip for a while this afternoon, yet. Probably sleet.

Been snowing moderately for at least 30 minutes. I am hoping it stays as snow.

4 hours ago, TexMexWx said:

I only got another 1.2" of snow from overnight, so my total is 4.6" over these two events. I am considering myself very fortunate, as my power hasn't gone out at any point over these past few days. I'm not sure what's sparing me, as friends living only a mile away have been having their power going on and off.

Afaik, the grid managers are prioritizing locations with hospitals and similar sensitive facilities, at the expense of residential and industrial sectors.

Not sure how easily that is actually implemented though...

I've read it a couple of times on twitter... is it true that more pipes might burst when the weather actually warms up? I've already had at least three friends with pipe bursts in their homes, and I'm afraid that my luck will run out at some point. I hope all of y'all are still able to be warm and safe. Obviously, problems are pretty widespread throughout the state (power, water, etc.), but I've heard a lot of bad things going on with Austin's infrastructure. They've had multiple major ice events in addition to their snow.

32 minutes ago, TexMexWx said:

I've read it a couple of times on twitter... is it true that more pipes might burst when the weather actually warms up? I've already had at least three friends with pipe bursts in their homes, and I'm afraid that my luck will run out at some point. I hope all of y'all are still able to be warm and safe. Obviously, problems are pretty widespread throughout the state (power, water, etc.), but I've heard a lot of bad things going on with Austin's infrastructure. They've had multiple major ice events in addition to their snow.

Well, it's likely there are burst pipes that are still frozen and the leak won't be known until the ice thaws.

There's still brutal cold in the area and there will continue to be more frozen pipes through the next few days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cheese007 said:

5 inches for DFW. When averaged with the marginal amounts since 15-16 we actually end up at roughly our expected yearly average (about an inch per year)

The snow records at DFW only go back to 1940. The average annual snowfall at DFW from 1940 to today is exactly 2.44 inches per year. If we had a complete snow record back to 1899 it would likely be a bit higher.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 2/14/2021 at 7:48 PM, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Freezing rain is now snizzle.  Not exactly snowflakes, but little frozen white things that are slowly drifting down.  Near I-45 and BW8 North side of Houston.  Internet says that palm can handle teens and 20 hours below freezing, so it is probably going to die.

SoonToBeDeadPalmFeb14.jpg

A lot of palms died from the 3 hard freezes in four years, but the big palm, one seedling I transplanted a couple of years ago, and many of the little ones that pop up in the garden like weeds survived this years hard freeze.  The banana plants look dead, but they do that every year with a frost and always come back from the roots.