• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Major LES event-December 24-27

6 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Thanks!! It really exceeded my expectations. And as I said before, a daylight chase is so much more enjoyable. I’ve chased at night enough, it’s disorienting and stressful under those intense rates. I actually got some decent video too!  I’d have to put it on YouTube though. 

Send the link

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

2nd half of this event was much less than what I expected here. Dry air really killed it after this afternoons burst.

8:30-Midnight- 6.7"
Midnight-6am- 11.2"
6am-Noon- 3.8"
Noon-6pm- 1.8"
Storm total: 23.5"

At 38.9" on the year, has to be pretty close to normal if not slightly above.

9pm-8am 11.7”

8am-2pm 5.4”

2pm-7pm 3.8”

24 Hour Lake Effect Total 20.9”

Add in the previous day synoptic and that’s 26” in 48 hours.  Just shy of 20” snow on the ground which is the most I’ve had in awhile...

3C888FA2-BD1F-4A36-AE98-83327AA231DE.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm in love with my snowblower. Had to be 4' at end of driveway from plow and went through it. Very thick stuff as ratios were lower last night. I can't wait for next storm to use it again!

Snow blowing is amazing, especially for us snow addicts. Such fun machines. 

• Like 1

My new Tempest weather station gave me a lightning detection alert late last night, which was cool.

We seem to have about 16” of pack — the compacted 5” from the Christmas Eve synoptic + the lake effect from today. So we definitely had a foot or so of lake stuff today. Pretty good storm, especially when we got rocked by the most intense edge of the lake band this afternoon. Fingers crossed we can still get the elusive epic Buffalo metro multi-day event this year! 

• Like 1

...A BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL AFFECT SOUTH CENTRAL JEFFERSON...
SOUTHERN LEWIS AND NORTHERN OSWEGO COUNTIES...

At 844 PM EST, A band of lake effect snow producing snow fall rates
of 2 to 3 inches was located from Sandy Creek to Turin on the
northern end and from Altmar to Constableville on the southern end.
This band will remain nearly stationary or oscillate a little
farther south through 1030 PM.

Winds up to 30 mph are possible with this band of lake effect snow
which will create blowing and drifting to the snow. A rumble of
thunder is possible within the most intense portions of the snowband.

Conditions will deteriorate rapidly under the more focused band of
snow with visibilities under a quarter of a mile at times. Travel
will be very difficult with deep snow covered roads. This includes
Interstate 81 between exits 33 and 40. Other routes impacted include
Route 13 between Williamstown and Pulaski and Route 26 between
Constableville and Lowville
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

This is what KBUF called for tonight.  What if this band sets up 20 miles north?  Even if it sets up it will be weak and a shore hugger but  could bring another 2–4” maybe. 

2E6448A1-3C2E-4FC3-9950-960323504E4B.png

You know I do wonder a bit regarding the lake effect modeling. As amateur weather enthusiasts (for the 99% on here) how is it that we know that early season lake effect runs a good 5 to 10 miles  further  north than forecast? And worse many of the local Mets have even worse technology regarding their in-house models ( I think it was channel 2 showed the band never making it above the nearby south towns) rendering them useless. Is there a chance, oh I don’t know, that living an area that gets the magnitude of LES we do can figure out a better modeling component?

5 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

You know I do wonder a bit regarding the lake effect modeling. As amateur weather enthusiasts (for the 99% on here) how is it that we know that early season lake effect runs a good 5 to 10 miles  further  north than forecast? And worse many of the local Mets have even worse technology regarding their in-house models ( I think it was channel 2 showed the band never making it above the nearby south towns) rendering them useless. Is there a chance, oh I don’t know, that living an area that gets the magnitude of LES we do can figure out a better modeling component?

I definitely called it better then KBUF did with this event. Not sure what they were seeing in saying it was going to hit the city last night. I always use upstream radars to dictate future conditions, it almost always works during now-cast events.

The local mets are terrible, not even worth watching. Andy Parker is only good one left.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I definitely called it better then KBUF did with this event. Not sure what they were seeing in saying it was going to hit the city last night. I always use upstream radars to dictate future conditions, it almost always works during now-cast events.

The local mets are terrible, not even worth watching. Andy Parker is only good one left.

Yeah it’s quite puzzling how poorly they handle these events. I go back to the January 2018 event  you and I discussed a couple days back. Same scenario same result. Models the Mets here used grossly under forecast the northward extend of the band and viola the north towns got pummeled then as well, and I know there’s plenty of other instances I just can’t remember them all. 

8 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

The worst was when the young girl on channel 7 said on Thursday that the models all show the snow never making it here and saying it’s gonna all stay in the Southern Tier and that Buffalo was out of the woods. She then showed their in house RPM model which had 4.3” of snow at BUF and said that was their new forecast. What a joke local TV meteorologist have become. Like Rich just said Andy is good and there’s a couple others but not many. 

• Like 2