Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
September 2020 Discussion

moneypitmike

38 minutes ago, klw said:

The second photo clearly shows that there are not inches of leaves.  Clear instance of slant sticking or was the measurement in a drift?  Upslope enhancement by the birches? If so, do you find that to be more likely to occur with a blocked flow?  What has the Froude number been lately? What is showing at the stake?  Regardless, I assume Jay Peak is reporting twice the leaf depth as you have.

There, I think we are prepped for winter.

The leaves just didn’t stick as well to the warm pavement.  Have to take the measurement on grassy surfaces only.  People told me the warm ground would not affect my leaf fall though.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The leaves just didn’t stick as well to the warm pavement.  Have to take the measurement on grassy surfaces only.  People told me the warm ground would not affect my leaf fall though.

The sun angle is tough to overcome this time of year.

Ash trees nearly bare, other species at peak except for the big oak thought it's partially changed.  Yesterday's low of 64 was +22 and I have to go back all the way to September 8 to find a taller minimum.  The day's 74/64 was +16 and drove the month average down to only 0.4 BN.  Couple degrees less mild this AM but it's PC and warming, will erase that bit of BN.  A pair 60+ minima this late in the season is beyond anything I've recorded in 23 Septembers here.  My mildest minimum in October is 59, but the cooler air comes in too soon for that record to be in play.