• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    elYeti
    Newest Member
    elYeti

August Banter 2020

I do want to go back so bad.  This is not a picnic for me either. First of all while I’m ok at tech stuff I am not qualified to be tech support to 120 teenagers and parents. But I am now!  And there are no off hours. I’m on call all the time!  And running online classes sucks imo. It’s not my thing.  My work day is more stressful now I than it was before. My hours aren’t any different either. I still have to grade the same work and manage the same students and teach the same class time.  Only now I have to somehow manage my sons online classes also even though I’m supposed to be teaching non stop all day. They want us to implement the IEP interventions and I have no idea how that’s going to work online!  I guess I do avoid my commute but I didn’t mind that. The drive was time for me to reflect and relax and prepare it decompress from the day. 

This really sucks and I want to just go back to normal. So I totally get it. But I also don’t want to die and I know several students, parents, co-workers, and family in my schools community who have contracted Covid recently.  Unfortunately I know a few who have passed away. It’s still around in Baltimore City.  And some of the stuff I’m hearing doesn’t make me comfortable. No satisfying answer on how to ensure students wear masks. Pushes to cut social distancing to 4 feet not 6 because we have classes with 45 and even if we do a/b hybrid that’s still 20+ in very small rooms.  If you saw the example test room you would think it’s just a normal classroom. Fact is our classes are so crowded I typically have to stack the desks together with no space between them to fit them all so for us a “socially distanced” room is 4 feet between desks and anytime anyone moves they are inside 4 feet.  Their answers on other procedures are inadequate also. Frankly they seem like they just want the kids back but don’t have the ability to follow the necessary protocols to do it safely.  But that is all specific to my school.  There are districts with way fewer cases in the community that have way more resources than my school does. So my feelings do not necessarily apply to what all schools should do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I do want to go back so bad.  This is not a picnic for me either. First of all while I’m ok at tech stuff I am not qualified to be tech support to 120 teenagers and parents. But I am now!  And there are no off hours. I’m on call all the time!  And running online classes sucks imo. It’s not my thing.  My work day is more stressful now I than it was before. My hours aren’t any different either. I still have to grade the same work and manage the same students and teach the same class time.  Only now I have to somehow manage my sons online classes also even though I’m supposed to be teaching non stop all day. They want us to implement the IEP interventions and I have no idea how that’s going to work online!  I guess I do avoid my commute but I didn’t mind that. The drive was time for me to reflect and relax and prepare it decompress from the day. 

This really sucks and I want to just go back to normal. So I totally get it. But I also don’t want to die and I know several students, parents, co-workers, and family in my schools community who have contracted Covid recently.  Unfortunately I know a few who have passed away. It’s still around in Baltimore City.  And some of the stuff I’m hearing doesn’t make me comfortable. No satisfying answer on how to ensure students wear masks. Pushes to cut social distancing to 4 feet not 6 because we have classes with 45 and even if we do a/b hybrid that’s still 20+ in very small rooms.  If you saw the example test room you would think it’s just a normal classroom. Fact is our classes are so crowded I typically have to stack the desks together with no space between them to fit them all so for us a “socially distanced” room is 4 feet between desks and anytime anyone moves they are inside 4 feet.  Their answers on other procedures are inadequate also. Frankly they seem like they just want the kids back but don’t have the ability to follow the necessary protocols to do it safely.  But that is all specific to my school.  There are districts with way fewer cases in the community that have way more resources than my school does. So my feelings do not necessarily apply to what all schools should do. 

Praying for you and all the other teachers that have been struggling. It just sucks that the situation is so lose-lose in a lot of school districts.

26 minutes ago, yoda said:

RIP Chadwick Boseman :(

23 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

So sad. So young. 

And he was battling colon cancer all through the Black Panther movie...talk about a true super hero! I've been hearing how medical researchers have been raising the concern about younger people getting colon cancer lately (just look at Trey Mancini, for crying out loud!) I pray they can figure out why...

For those starting school today students and teachers, including the two Miss J's...

Change is never easy. Learning new ways to do things is never easy. Embracing both will broaden your horizons. Take a deep breath and jump in. :wub:

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

For those starting school today students and teachers, including the two Miss J's...

Change is never easy. Learning new ways to do things is never easy. Embracing both will broaden your horizons. Take a deep breath and jump in. :wub:

good post! hope the girls first day goes great! YOU GOT THIS!

• Like 1

Oldest daughter called me at work and said she missed most of her first dual enrollment zoom class because the wifi wasn't working good enough . 1st day already a fail. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Oldest daughter called me at work and said she missed most of her first dual enrollment zoom class because the wifi wasn't working good enough . 1st day already a fail. 

Rural jurisdictions are desperately behind the times when it comes to equitable access to Internet. The local/state govs need to make this a priority yesterday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Rural jurisdictions are desperately behind the times when it comes to equitable access to Internet. The local/state govs need to make this a priority yesterday.

i dont know how local/state govt make companies like Comcast and Verizon put the infrastructure needed in places where it doesn't exist. 

Just now, mappy said:

i dont know how local/state govt make companies like Comcast and Verizon put the infrastructure needed in places where it doesn't exist. 

The state public utility commissions license internet and cable providers to work in this jurisdiction. They hold a lot more power than people realize. 

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

I saw that Garrett County received a state (or federal?) grant for hotspots to provide to students without adequate wifi.  The issue also becomes for that student the lack of LTE coverage in some areas of the county.  On a related note, how a county with something like 60 or so total cases can't return to in person learning is beyond my understanding.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Hopefully tomorrow goes better but she might have to drive to McDonald's or a library parking lot to get a good signal lol. Libraries inside are actually closed . That's a head scratcher in and of itself. 

Teachers don't want them using a phone for class instruction.  Her phone actually works a bit better then the lap top.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Yea... no hardline out this way . All wireless hotspots. 

3 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The state public utility commissions license internet and cable providers to work in this jurisdiction. They hold a lot more power than people realize. 

well they should work a lot harder... because i can tell you comcast stops just to my north. no one else runs hardware up this way other than comcast. if you're in the really rural part of the county, you aint getting shit for internet. dish network for tv and thats it.

O's are just playing losing baseball right now. Twice today they had a runner at second and no outs and both times didnt score. I guess no one believes is bunting the runner over to 3rd anymore. 

They don't even try to hit behind the runner to move them over.I thought Hyde was big on fundamentals. 

1 hour ago, mappy said:

well they should work a lot harder... because i can tell you comcast stops just to my north. no one else runs hardware up this way other than comcast. if you're in the really rural part of the county, you aint getting shit for internet. dish network for tv and thats it.

Yep, I had to spend $7K to Comcast for them to run the line up the hill to our house here in Deep Creek a few years ago to get their service.  Otherwise, I would have had to pay for satellite internet which is capped at 10GB/month (we'd go through that in a day hosting friends).  It was "only" $7K since the houses down the street at the bottom of the hill had service.  If not for that, I can't even imagine the cost.  

It's unacceptable that rural communities are left behind with what should be accessible to all residents at a much cheaper price (for install/etc).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yep, I had to spend $7K to Comcast for them to run the line up the hill to our house here in Deep Creek a few years ago to get their service.  Otherwise, I would have had to pay for satellite internet which is capped at 10GB/month (we'd go through that in a day hosting friends).  It was "only" $7K since the houses down the street at the bottom of the hill had service.  If not for that, I can't even imagine the cost.  

It's unacceptable that rural communities are left behind with what should be accessible to all residents at a much cheaper price (for install/etc).

Seven grand??? That’s insane.

1 hour ago, Chris78 said:

O's are just playing losing baseball right now. Twice today they had a runner at second and no outs and both times didnt score. I guess no one believes is bunting the runner over to 3rd anymore. 

They don't even try to hit behind the runner to move them over.I thought Hyde was big on fundamentals. 

They have reached their "natural" level. This apparently happens even in a dramatically shortened baseball season. At least they will exceed my predicted win total.

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

They have reached their "natural" level. This apparently happens even in a dramatically shortened baseball season. At least they will exceed my predicted win total.

Big Os win today :weight_lift:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Seven grand??? That’s insane.

Imagine how much Caps games I could have gone to with that!  Although I suppose these days, that doesn't matter :)

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Big Os win today :weight_lift:

The Nats are looking like a lost cause this season...even with the expanded playoffs, I can't see them getting in (although we know the story from last year).  

Os getting in would be nice.

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

House cleaning continues today, Castro was dealt to the Mets for a AA starter. Lots of young talent acquired...we'll see what it all yields on the field soon enough.

At least they are "smart" enough to know they can't compete this year, even with the significantly shortened season and expanded playoffs. We will see how it plays out going forward.

• Like 1