• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Heat Wave

6 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

The Northeast winds have really tempered Rochester's temps during this recent "heat wave".  We've  barely hit 90 and hit has felt very comfortable with the low DP's.  Quite disappointing for a heat lover like myself.  I want it to be completely oppressive.  Give me 95 degrees with a dewpoint of 77 please!

I should put this in some context. The weather has been incredibly ideal the past few weeks, no doubt about that. Just perfect for outdoor activities.
I just always find extreme weather to be fascinating; plus I have a really high tolerance for heat (I’m cold about 9 months a year). A few weeks of oppressive heat is unique, fun, and interesting.  I would never want to experience it regularly though. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I should put this in some context. The weather has been incredibly ideal the past few weeks, no doubt about that. Just perfect for outdoor activities.
I just always find extreme weather to be fascinating; plus I have a really high tolerance for heat (I’m cold about 9 months a year). A few weeks of oppressive heat is unique, fun, and interesting.  I would never want to experience it regularly though. 

This takes me back to the age old heat vs cold discussion. This type of heat is much deadlier on a wide scale than widespread cold is and in my opinion (and scientifically) it's not close. When you have a heat wave of this magnitude, covering 2/3rds of the continental US and for the duration it spells disaster. Couple that with people that need to quarantine, or like many elderly are holed up, the severe heat will take a great toll on those living in the urban areas in older high rise buildings, many without aur conditioning. I find myself to be fascinated by weather extremes, but searing heat is not one of those I cheer for. 

17 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

This takes me back to the age old heat vs cold discussion. This type of heat is much deadlier on a wide scale than widespread cold is and in my opinion (and scientifically) it's not close. When you have a heat wave of this magnitude, covering 2/3rds of the continental US and for the duration it spells disaster. Couple that with people that need to quarantine, or like many elderly are holed up, the severe heat will take a great toll on those living in the urban areas in older high rise buildings, many without aur conditioning. I find myself to be fascinated by weather extremes, but searing heat is not one of those I cheer for. 

We’ve been without power since 5pm. Thank god we have a generator. Turned the window A/C on in our room and have both kids sleeping with us. Got up to 77 in the house before I had to kick the generator on about 20 minutes ago and cool it off or there’s no way any of us would be sleeping. It’s brutal when it’s still 80+ degrees at 10pm. 

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

Any thoughts on the meteorology behind BUF being such a hot spot today/tonight so far?  We’re currently at 81, highest ob I could find in the state. 3 deg warmer than NYC right now. And not sure if anyone topped the 94 we hit today. Light northeast wind down-sloping off the Niagara escarpment?  

31 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Any thoughts on the meteorology behind BUF being such a hot spot today/tonight so far?  We’re currently at 81, highest ob I could find in the state. 3 deg warmer than NYC right now. And not sure if anyone topped the 94 we hit today. Light northeast wind down-sloping off the Niagara escarpment?  

That’s pretty much it. I think the very persistent northeast wind direction and extremely dry ground has really boosted their temps. I’m guessing the max temps dial back a bit the next few days as the winds go south and the humidity piles on. 

• Like 1

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

That’s pretty much it. I think the very persistent northeast wind direction and extremely dry ground has really boosted their temps. I’m guessing the max temps dial back a bit the next few days as the winds go south and the humidity piles on. 

It's very difficult to get record warmth here with a SW wind (Impossible). S/SW winds give Rochester their record temps. This wind direction is perfect for KBUF warmth.

54 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

We’ve been without power since 5pm. Thank god we have a generator. Turned the window A/C on in our room and have both kids sleeping with us. Got up to 77 in the house before I had to kick the generator on about 20 minutes ago and cool it off or there’s no way any of us would be sleeping. It’s brutal when it’s still 80+ degrees at 10pm. 

77 would be a goal of mine in parts of the house. Saw 84 on the living room thermostat as I passed through a few hours back, haha. The bedroom has a window unit and is well insulated though. We keep it like a meat locker in there. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

That’s the thing about weather though, it does what it wants. Cheering or no cheering. If it’s going to be warm, I want to really experience some tropical nights up here.  Me wanting it hot isn’t what’s killing people on the great plains.  I’d rather find a way to enjoy it than bitch about it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It's very difficult to get record warmth here with a SW wind (Impossible). S/SW winds give Rochester their record temps. This wind direction is perfect for KBUF warmth.

BUF does good on a S to SE wind too. down sloping off the Boston hills. Pretty much anything but SW. That’ll  kill the temps but really pump up the dews. Really hoping we hit 90 again tomorrow to put the streak at 5, winds are out of the SW and the lake is at a relatively cool 74 degrees (which is 5 above average for the date and only 1 degree shy of the record) so it’s gonna be close. May actually feel worse tomorrow as 90 with a dew of 68 or 70 will feel worse than 94 with a dew of 55-60. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Thousands die each year in winter related car accidents. Not to mention more prevalence of circulating bacteria and viruses in winter. Summer is definitely a safer lifestyle.

Almost everyone has some sort of AC installed in their home.

84 percent of all homes in the United States have some kind of air conditioning. In fact, the US uses more air conditioning than all other nations combined.

image.png.87da1b082011ee9576f4a1b361201212.png

Winter months feature quite a bit more deaths then summer months.

image.png.3ace81e49d3803ff1465c8fee67f7f75.png

https://www.acsh.org/news/2019/07/10/more-people-die-winter-summer-14146

9 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Thousands die each year in winter related car accidents. Not to mention more prevalence of circulating bacteria and viruses in winter. Summer is definitely a safer lifestyle.

Almost everyone has some sort of AC installed in their home.

84 percent of all homes in the United States have some kind of air conditioning. In fact, the US uses more air conditioning than all other nations combined.

image.png.87da1b082011ee9576f4a1b361201212.png

Winter months feature quite a bit more deaths then summer months.

image.png.3ace81e49d3803ff1465c8fee67f7f75.png

https://www.acsh.org/news/2019/07/10/more-people-die-winter-summer-14146

Interested stats. Also it seems that ROC will finally get into the heat as winds are now shifted and DPs are  already 5 degrees higher than this time yesterday.

HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
8 PM EDT FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Heat index values in the mid 90s this afternoon and
  Wednesday afternoon, then near 100 Thursday and Friday
  afternoon. Highest heat index values will be inland from the
  Lake Erie and Lake Ontario shores.

* WHERE...Niagara, Orleans, Monroe, Wayne, Northern Cayuga,
  Oswego, Northern Erie, Genesee, Livingston, and Ontario
  counties.

* WHEN...From 1 PM Tuesday to 8 PM EDT Friday.

* IMPACTS...Hot temperatures and high humidity may cause heat
  illnesses to occur. Warm overnight low temperatures will make
  it difficult to cool buildings without air conditioning.

59 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

88 at latest update. Should have no problem getting another 2 degrees in full sunshine. 

It’s official as of 1pm. 5 days and tied for the number 2 longest heatwave in BUF history. Should hit 92-93 today. 

few.png

A Few Clouds

90°F

32°C

Humidity 37%
Wind Speed SW 10 mph
Barometer 29.99 in (1015.0 mb)
Dewpoint 60°F (16°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 90°F (32°C)
Last update 7 Jul 12:54 pm EDT
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

It’s official as of 1pm. 5 days and tied for the number 2 longest heatwave in BUF history. Should hit 92-93 today. 

few.png

A Few Clouds

90°F

32°C

Humidity 37%
Wind Speed SW 10 mph
Barometer 29.99 in (1015.0 mb)
Dewpoint 60°F (16°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 90°F (32°C)
Last update 7 Jul 12:54 pm EDT

I think Thurs/Friday we have a chance at 95, especially Thursday. Very little wind. 

12 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I think Thurs/Friday we have a chance at 95, especially Thursday. Very little wind. 

Yep the only question will be tomorrow. NWS forecasting 90. If we only hit 89 it’ll ruin the streak. If we hit 90 no doubt we will bring the streak to 8 after Friday and have a new record. All comes down to tomorrow. Gonna be close. 

2 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Yep the only question will be tomorrow. NWS forecasting 90. If we only hit 89 it’ll ruin the streak. If we hit 90 no doubt we will bring the streak to 8 after Friday and have a new record. All comes down to tomorrow. Gonna be close. 

If we hit 95 or 96 Thurs or Fri I think those advisories go to excessive heat warnings those 2 days for the Niagara frontier and Genesee Valley.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

If we hit 90 through Friday is that 11 90+ days for the year? Would still need 9 more to hit 20. Next week looks to hit 90 quite a few days too. 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

If we hit 90 through Friday is that 11 90+ days for the year? Would still need 9 more to hit 20. Next week looks to hit 90 quite a few days too. 

I believe it would be as we had one in May, 2 last month and the current streak (tomorrow pending) would make 8 so, carry the one, yep 11!!!

• Thanks 1